12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
PHL JAN 20/21 Obs and Discussion Thread

tombo82685

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I don't get is that the HRRR keeps the 925mb 0C line east of the Delaware River throughout the storm. So why is it still reducing the snow amounts so drastically? I suppose there's a mini warm layer around 950mb?

im not sure how much snow it shows, but looking at that prob surface issues with temps around frz or so

Very light pixie dust type of snow here. Enough for a light dusting so far. It would probably be a moderate snow if we had decent sized dendrites though.

Yes, I'm starting to wonder if we'll see these 3-6" forecasts, if anything they'll be closer to 3". Ratios aren't good right now and the radar doesn't look impressive.

im not normally a negative nancy, but I have a feeling we will see a rain/snow mix and no accumulation here in PHL....it will be interesting to watch in any event!

those rapid update models are sure making the temp profiles interesting...looking at their reflectivity outputs you'd think we'd get 3" no problem, but that doesn't appear to be the case...we'll see how it goes with the heavier precip but I too think we get some mixing with perhaps an inch or two once the low moves past us

"NO REASON IS SEEN TO INCREASE SNOW AMOUNTS AT THIS TIME...SO THEADVISORIES WILL BE LEFT INTACT AND NOT UPGRADED TO WARNINGS.HOWEVER...IT COULD BE A TRICKY SITUATION FOR THE NORTHERN SECTIONSOF THE LOWER 4 INCH WARNING CRITERIA AREA...NAMELY AROUNDPHILADELPHIA AND JUST SOUTH OF I-195 IN NEW JERSEY...SINCE SNOWAMOUNTS MAY APPROACH 4 INCHES. THE MIDNIGHT SHIFT MAY HAVE TO MAKEQUICK RUNNING ADJUSTMENTS OVERNIGHT WITH A LOW LEAD TIME WARNINGIF WARNING AMOUNTS ARE NEARED. THE SAME HOLDS TRUE FOR FARNORTHERN AREAS WHICH MAY REACH NEAR 6 INCHES."

From Mount Holly

Archived