Newest Member
    joxey
PHL JAN 20/21 Obs and Discussion Thread

tombo82685

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bout 1".....lol

Ya'd think that with all the brains in here...we could assume from surrounding qpf outputs what we may get. When it says 3" to the west AND east of you...you can do the math right ?

Nut

Uh, the difference between .33 and .28 is .05, so only about a half inch snow difference. I can't believe people are worried about a half inch of snow difference, especially if you are in an area that already received 2 big storms this year.

BGM's going quite aggressive tonight.

Tonight: Snow, mainly after 8pm. Low around 16. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Friday: Snow, mainly before 10am, then a chance for flurries. High near 23. West wind 6 to 9 mph increasing to between 14 and 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

That is pretty aggressive but in their text product issuing the WWA they are only going 3-5". I don't like forecasting snowfall totals based on what the potential ratios will be, until there is a concrete idea of what they are going to be. But the storm is mighty impressive already and is showing signs of possibly being stronger then the models are forecasting right now.

BLM: 0.26

Yes it does look warmish, there's a chance you go over to rain for sure. Surface temp rises to 34F.

Don't know why Mount Holly hasn't acknowledged the warming trend. There is still a general area-wide prediction of 1-3" of snow, even across southern and coastal DE. Perhaps sleet would be more likely than rain because 850's don't warm above freezing in NJ on the GFS. It might happen briefly between hours but I'm not seeing it.

Though you might say that. Hopefully being 12 - 15 miles inland from there will help. During the Jan 11 event BLM was 34 and raining for a bit while Freehold was 31 and -SN.

Yeah, as you might have guessed, I meant BLM might go over to rain, not Freehold. I'd guess Freehold will be safe.

Don't know why Mount Holly hasn't acknowledged the warming trend. There is still a general area-wide prediction of 1-3" of snow, even across southern and coastal DE. Perhaps sleet would be more likely than rain because 850's don't warm above freezing in NJ on the GFS. It might happen briefly between hours but I'm not seeing it.

You may want to read the updated AFD. ;)

11:30 Mt Holly update:

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --WE CONTINUE TO EXAMINE THE INCOMING 12Z MODEL GUIDANCE. THE

ASSOCIATED FORECAST SOUNDINGS AND THERMAL PROFILES CONTINUE TO

SUGGEST THAT WE MAY HAVE SOME PRECIPITATION TYPE ISSUES NEAR THE

COAST AND PERHAPS A BIT INLAND. THE 12Z NAM/WRF HAS A RATHER

ROBUST LOW-LEVEL JET THAT MOVES ACROSS WITH THE KACY SOUNDING

SHOWING NEARLY 55 KNOTS OVERNIGHT. THIS BRINGS MILDER AIR INTO THE

LOWER PORTION OF THE PROFILE LEADING TO RAIN. SOME PREVIOUS

GUIDANCE HAS A WEAKER LOW-LEVEL JET. THE NAM/WRF ALSO HAS THE

SURFACE LOW TUCKED IN MUCH CLOSER TO THE COAST AND THE INCOMING

GEM ALSO HAS A SURFACE LOW NEARLY ON THE SOUTHEASTERN NEW JERSEY

COAST EARLY FRIDAY MORNING. THE 12Z GFS LOOKS SIMILAR THUS FAR

WITH THIS GENERAL TRACK. THIS WOULD ALL POINT TO A POSSIBLE START

AS RAIN OR A RAIN/SNOW MIX ACROSS THE SOUTHEASTERN ZONES AND

PARTS OF THE DELMARVA. THE TRACK OF THE SURFACE LOW MAY BE SUCH AS

IT WORKS RIGHT ACROSS THE DELMARVA, ALLOWING LESS QPF TO OCCUR

THERE. AS A RESULT OF THIS, THE SNOW AMOUNTS CURRENTLY ADVERTISED

MAY HAVE TO BE LOWERED FOR THESE AREAS. THEREFORE, OUR CONFIDENCE

IN THE SNOWFALL AMOUNTS ACROSS THE SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST ZONES IS ON

THE LOWER SIDE. FARTHER TO THE NORTH AND WEST, A COLDER AIRMASS

WOULD FAVOR MUCH BETTER SNOW GROWTH AND HIGHER RATIOS. FOR NOW, NO

CHANGES WILL BE MADE TO THE HEADLINES OR AMOUNTS AS WE WOULD LIKE

TO TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT ALL THE 12Z GUIDANCE.

AFTER THE SNOW ENDS DURING THE FIRST PART OF FRIDAY...RAPIDLY

IMPROVING SKY COVER ALONG WITH BREEZY AND COLD WEATHER WILL

COMMENCE. THIS COLD...BREEZY WEATHER WILL LAST FRIDAY NIGHT AND

SATURDAY WITH A DRY FORECAST FOR THESE PERIODS. A FEW SNOW

SHOWERS OVER THE SOUTHERN POCONOS ARE A POSSIBILITY SATURDAY.

TEMPERATURES FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY WILL BE MUCH BELOW NORMAL

WITH LOWS FRIDAY NIGHT SINGLE DIGITS NORTH AND TEENS SOUTH. HIGHS

SATURDAY MOSTLY IN THE 20S WITH TEENS ACROSS THE SOUTHERN POCONOS.-- End Changed Discussion --

Nice job, as always, Mike. ;)

Yeah, as you might have guessed, I meant BLM might go over to rain, not Freehold. I'd guess Freehold will be safe.

Thanks Ray, I did want BLM as if BLM hovers 34, Freehold is usually safe. NAM, SREF's look a tad colder here, but I fear this thing is gonna bomb an hour or two early so need to keep that track a hair or two east.

Criteria being 6" up there, I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath on that.

Agreed, and probably too late to even issue a watch, which may have been warranted had last night's 0z guidance been in the .4 - .5 liquid eqiv. range for northern 1/3 of the Mt. Holly CWA. Warning would be pushing it a bit.

Archived