e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Jan 24-25th threat

Cheeznado

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at partial thicknesses and 850 temps that's a massive rain storm, I don't see much in the way of snow.

Taken 100% literally the rain would change to heavy snow as the upper tough passed over- the amount would depend on how fast the changeover occurred- the model breaks out over .5 after the 850 temp goes to 0.

Well, NWS RAH was indeed leaning at a Miller A potential.

Well it's dream miller A run for every west of I-77. Anything east of winston-salem will be nothing but rain, per this run. We need it to shift 100+ miles east, but I think if anything this is going to run inland more, IMO.

Its snowing over most of the Carolinas and raining in DC and the MidAtlantic for a good period of time. To start the storm, the damming regions are cold, and who knows how long until they get above freezing but as soon as they do, the snow line is coming in. Wild run for sure.

Just to clear things up, you are just talking about Tuesday, right? You are saying snow over most of the Carolinas and other folks are saying just rain.

Taken 100% literally the rain would change to heavy snow as the upper tough passed over- the amount would depend on how fast the changeover occurred- the model breaks out over .5 after the 850 temp goes to 0.

Yep....6z Wed GFS sounding for ATL suggests snow as P-Type taking this run verbatim.

Hey superjames, I like your cold rain graphic. I'm betting you got that from the State Climate Office of NC's website, because I made that when I designed all of the winter weather pages there. I actually had to merge a couple of the other images together, because they didn't have a cold rain graphic!

Haha, yeah that is where I got it from. Cool! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I thought we were tracking a potential winter system not a hurricane. :arrowhead:

haha. I'd never want 3" of winter equivalent precip I don't think. Not saying this run gives us that, but with the strong dammng and dry air and how hard it is to get rid of low level cold air, it would be scary if the GFS was close to accurate. Right now that looks extreme. That would be major snowfall somewhere in the Apps though.

haha. I'd never want 3" of winter equivalent precip I don't think. Not saying this run gives us that, but with the strong dammng and dry air and how hard it is to get rid of low level cold air, it would be scary if the GFS was close to accurate. Right now that looks extreme. That would be major snowfall somewhere in the Apps though.

Check out the position of the 850 low...reminds me of 3/09. Just perfect.

Yep....6z Wed GFS sounding for ATL suggests snow as P-Type taking this run verbatim.

I was wondering about that at 132. Thanks for the p-type info. Gonna be a lot of changes in the models over the next few days. Should be fun.:guitar:

IMO this is the best possible solution we could have seen tonight. You can take your chances with a miller a bomb, or we could get nothing if this thing is squashed or sheared out. IMO most of the models are trending towards a cutoff low over the midwest or southeast. All major systems cutoff at some point. The question is where it cuts off, the trough axis, and the timing. THe sooner the better as there will be much more cad. Overall we want to see more trends towards a 50/50 low, as this promotes phasing more than any other feature.It also slow's the HP system from sliding out.

Taken literally, RDU would see absolutely no snow with this setup. The WAA would completely overwhelm the eastern 2/3 of the Carolinas. The 850 0C line never even approaches RDU, and with the partials as high as they are I see no way this would be snow for RDU east. Maybe for the CLT area it would be a brief change back to snow, but the cold air is most unimpressive in my view.

Well, we still have time. I just don't see how some say it is snow for most of the Carolinas then.

I'm calling BS on the GFS temperature profile here...that is a CLASSIC 850 position for a dumping for my area

gfs_850_132s.gif

thats one heck of an 850 low ...dont know if ever had one that strong near us. Obviously the Apps and Foothills are getting crushed with that track for sure, at much more than an inch an hour most likely.

Taken literally, RDU would see absolutely no snow with this setup. The WAA would completely overwhelm the eastern 2/3 of the Carolinas. The 850 0C line never even approaches RDU, and with the partials as high as they are I see no way this would be snow for RDU east. Maybe for the CLT area it would be a brief change back to snow, but the cold air is most unimpressive in my view.

For us I would think we want a weaker storm that heads NE instead of this super bomb as that is coming inland like this run shows. I guess it would be fun to watch the foothills and have mountains have a 93 redux.

Just an incredible storm on the GFS tonight. Major neg. tilt in the Southeast, with explosive moisture coming north, and a rapidly deeping cyclone in the Northeast Gulf going off GA coast. The upper levels warm at first over the CArolinas and GA , before going over to snow, and I question the surface temps. Obviously the GFS has run amuck with such an extreme solution.

Over 2" of qpf in teh western Carolinas and eastern GA, and still counting. Good night if anything like that happened.:lol:

JESUS... this is a January 27th, 1998 redux for WNC... very heavy wet snowfall. The 850mb temps won't be accurate if we get the amount of QPF progged on the gfs.

Inland crawling bomb up I-95...Big old rainstorm for central NC, piedmont. Going to crush DC and points north.

Yea this is not encouraging for folks in central and east NC. This run amplifies the system far too much to allow folks east of WNC to get anything other than rain. The CAD high has moved offshore by this point, so there is nothing to keep the low from riding up the coast.

now we know is wrong, it puts me and Jeremy and Burger in the 3" amounts.

Yea such an extreme solution should be taken with extreme caution... although considering that several ensemble members were showing such a solution, I knew it was on the table.

Well, we still have time. I just don't see how some say it is snow for most of the Carolinas then.

We talked about this on the banter thread, you have to look at who is posting the updates, the only run this is good for is the mountains and foothills (Western Carolinas), anything from Winston-Salem to the east would be all rain.

Archived