northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 19-21 MW/GL/OV Storm part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost all of the Central Region offices do the web briefings, but they are much more interactive than the Eastern Offices (AKA ILN, CLE)

OT

Why is that? Is it just a regional difference regardless of office (ie Eastern offices just aren't as quick to be so interactive?) or is it just the type of weather (ie the Central region having more dynamic weather overall through the year than some Eastern locations?)? Or does it just vary by WFO? I think at times ILN (as a local example) has events that could benefit from this type of media. I always enjoy maps and graphics in addition to the standard data.

[/OT]

Back to the issue at hand, I'll take whatever comes, although 2-5 / 3-6 inches could make a Thursday evening drive on I-70 to Columbus interesting.:arrowhead:

It at least gives us a little love. But I'm usually less than impressed with the RGEM's performance. Have to think the NAM is much more likely for here, 0.0".

I don't trust the NAM...not with how it has been shifting. Other solutions have been a bit more stable.

I don't trust the NAM...not with how it has been shifting. Other solutions have been a bit more stable.

Agreed. Even though the NAM did better (for us) with the last system as far as thermo profiles, the GFS remained the most consistent with the QPF distribution. If I were forecasting for LAF I'd probably be thinking a general 2-3" of 15:1 ratio type snowfall is in order. The good thing about being on the northern fringe in this situation is any bump up in QPF will increase snow amounts quite quickly given the higher ratios.

Agreed. Even though the NAM did better (for us) with the last system as far as thermo profiles, the GFS remained the most consistent with the QPF distribution. If I were forecasting for LAF I'd probably be thinking a general 2-3" of 15:1 ratio type snowfall is in order. The good thing about being on the northern fringe in this situation is any bump up in QPF will increase snow amounts quite quickly given the higher ratios.

I don't think that's a terrible call at this point. I'd have to lean on the lower side until we see a more favorable trend (if ever). I'll tip my hat if the NAM near shutout verifies.

Archived