northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 19-21 MW/GL/OV Storm part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im starting to get P*ssed. Hey mike, when does accuwx initialize the euro. I just got this today, mainly for this purpose.

I read somewhere it's at 3 eastern. You can get the QPF #'s earlier though.

If you want the Euro earlier, You want Stormvista, talk to Harry.

yea I got the qpf numbers, which is why I am getting annoyed. oh well I guess at least i get the numbers.

The stats come out at 1am. Maps are very slow....Probably between 2:30 and 3:00.

This is crazy...Nearly all models are converging on 0.30" for CMH. Didn't expect that much agreement tonight...Let's hope for near steady or slightly rising values on tomorrow's runs :thumbsup:

I had Columbus in 2-4, but my revised map tomorrow will show 3-5. Not a big change though because for specifically Columbus I was going 3-4 inches. May up it to 4-5....

The stats come out at 1am. Maps are very slow....Probably between 2:30 and 3:00.

This is crazy...Nearly all models are converging on 0.30" for CMH. Didn't expect that much agreement tonight...Let's hope for near steady or slightly rising values on tomorrow's runs :thumbsup:

all models went up except for the NAM. Now if it stays around .3 we need to hope for cold temps arouns 20 to get a nice snowfall of 4-6"

I had Columbus in 2-4, but my revised map tomorrow will show 3-5. Not a big change though because for specifically Columbus I was going 3-4 inches. May up it to 4-5....

Im going to put mine out after 12z tomorrow to be safe.

I find it kind of strange that IND has a watch for their entire cwa and expecting areas of 6+ but ILN only for the area with the lower criteria and their numbers are 3-5 inches. I think ILN will add some counties to the watch north of the current watch.

The watch is thinly worded. I wonder though if the watch is based more for the blowing/drifting/travel impacts more so than just total snowfall. Being a daytime storm this will impact travel on Thursday.

I find it kind of strange that IND has a watch for their entire cwa and expecting areas of 6+ but ILN only for the area with the lower criteria and their numbers are 3-5 inches. I think ILN will add some counties to the watch north of the current watch.

its because of the criteria difference. a wsw for the northern iln counties is 6" in a 12hr period I believe. I expect a WWA tomorrow though..

its because of the criteria difference. a wsw for the northern iln counties is 6" in a 12hr period I believe. I expect a WWA tomorrow though..

I know the criteria difference but my point is IND i'm assuming is basically the same criteria wise as ILN so you would think the watch would be in the same areas instead of looking lopsided. Besides that if IND is expecting some 6+ areas how is ILN not?

I know the criteria difference but my point is IND i'm assuming is basically the same criteria wise as ILN so you would think the watch would be in the same areas instead of looking lopsided. Besides that if IND is expecting some 6+ areas how is ILN not?

I think (and know I will be corrected if I am wrong) IND is 6"=12h or 8"=24h. But I don't know criteria for blowing and drifting, which is mentions in the watch, along with the specific mention of rush hour. I don't know if they are expanding the impact based products that PAH is experimenting with or not.

6z NAM looks a bit wetter to me so far.

Yep, a little bit anyways. I'm on my cell so I can't compare to the 0z, is it more north, south or the same? It looks like maybe it'd be a tad north, but I can't remember 0z at 36 obviously lol..

Edit: tried to switch between tabs on my cell, looks like the precip shield is further north by about 40 miles or so.

Yep, a little bit anyways. I'm on my cell so I can't compare to the 0z, is it more north, south or the same? It looks like maybe it'd be a tad north, but I can't remember 0z at 36 obviously lol

Looks better for IND than 00z from what I can tell. NCEP messing up right now. A tiny bit north compared to 00z.

Actually a good deal better for me than 00z. I probably only had .10 at the most and now Im solidy in the .25-.50. Specks of .50+ just south of I-70 in Indiana. A step in the right direction IMO. Hopefully the GFS will hold and 12z runs come north just a tiny bit more.

00 NAM was just depressing for us. Hopefully it stays an outlier.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

349 AM EST WED JAN 19 2011

.SHORT TERM /TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY/...

THE MAIN FOCUS IS THE SNOW EVENT TONIGHT INTO THURSDAY EVENING.

THERE STILL ARE DIFFERENCES IN THE MODELS...MAINLY BETWEEN THE NAM

AND THE OTHER MODELS. NAM IS EVEN INCONSISTENT BETWEEN ITS RUNS IN

TERMS OF LOCATION OF HEAVIEST SNOW. ALTHOUGH WE ARE GETTING CLOSER

TO THE TIME FRAME WHERE THE NAM DOES BETTER...ITS INCONSISTENCIES

ARE TROUBLING. WILL NOT USE THE NAM AND GO CLOSER TO A BLEND OF

GFS/ECMWF.

MUCH OF THIS EVENING SHOULD BE DRY AS ISENTROPIC LIFT DOESN/T BEGIN

TO KICK IN UNTIL AFTER MIDNIGHT. WILL ONLY HAVE SMALL CHANCES IN

BEFORE 06Z AND ONLY ACROSS THE FAR WEST. ISENTROPIC LIFT INCREASES

AFTER MIDNIGHT...BUT IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME TO SATURATE THE

ATMOSPHERE. WILL THUS GO WITH CHANCE POPS. WITH CLOUDS QUICKLY

INCREASING WENT AT OR ABOVE MOS FOR LOW TEMPS.

THE UPPER TROUGH ALONG WITH AN UPPER JET WILL MOVE INTO THE AREA ON

THURSDAY. THE SURFACE LOW WILL REMAIN WELL TO THE SOUTH. QVECTOR

PROGS SHOW THAT OVERALL FORCING...WHILE CONSISTENT...DOES NOT LOOK

OVERLY IMPRESSIVE. HOWEVER...ACROSS THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE

FORECAST AREA THERE LOOKS TO BE A PERIOD OF DECENT FRONTOGENETICAL

FORCING. THIS WOULD ASSIST IN BOOSTING SNOW TOTALS ACROSS THE SOUTH.

MODEL CONSENSUS IS THAT 1 TO LOCALLY 4 INCHES OF SNOW ARE POSSIBLE

ACROSS THE NORTHERN FORECAST AREA AND 3 TO 6 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE

ACROSS THE SOUTHERN FORECAST AREA. GIVEN THE STRONGEST FORCING WILL

BE ACROSS THE SOUTH...FEEL THAT A WINTER STORM WATCH IS OVERKILL FOR

AT THE NORTHERN THIRD. WILL KILL THE WATCH THERE AND GO WITH AN

ADVISORY.

DUE TO SOME UNCERTAINTY IN AMOUNTS...ESPECIALLY SINCE THE SREF IS

STILL SHOWING HIGHER AMOUNTS ACROSS THE INDY METRO AND SOUTH...WILL

CONTINUE WITH THE WATCH ACROSS THIS AREA.

WILL STILL GO CATEGORICAL POPS ALL AREAS AT LEAST DURING THE MORNING

THURSDAY. WILL LOWER A BIT ACROSS THE FAR NORTH DURING THE AFTERNOON

AS ALL MODELS SHOW FORCING DIMINISHING THERE. MAV LOOKS OK WITH

TEMPERATURES GIVEN THE EXPECTED SNOW.

FORCING SHUTS OFF FROM WEST TO EAST QUICKLY DURING THE EVENING

THURSDAY NIGHT. WILL GO LIKELY POPS ACROSS THE EAST DURING THE

EVENING OTHERWISE WENT WITH CHANCE POPS. THE ARCTIC FRONT THAT MOVES

DOWN DURING THE OVERNIGHT THURSDAY NIGHT COULD ALSO GENERATE SOME

SNOW SHOWERS...SO CONTINUED POPS MOST AREAS THEN.

DRY CONDITIONS WILL PREVAIL ON FRIDAY INTO FRIDAY NIGHT BEFORE A

WEAK SYSTEM BRINGS A CHANCE FOR LIGHT SNOW ON SATURDAY.

THERE ARE SOME DIFFERENCES ON HOW THE MODELS ARE HANDLING THE ARCTIC

AIR. DUE TO THIS UNCERTAINTY AND HOW THE MODELS KEEP

CHANGING...DECIDED TO KEEP TEMPERATURES CLOSE TO PREVIOUS FORECAST

FOR NOW FOR THURSDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY.

Archived