joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Serious question: Is this storm turning out anything like what the models showed say Friday/Saturday. I really don't recall the ULL coming into the equation for till Sunday or so.

Before that, this seemed more like a north to south coastal storm. Now, this seems like a Baltimore-DC special while the Miller A-like coastal seems less important???? What were the models showing Friday? I've lost track. Or, better question, what kind of storm did PSUHoffman envision last week that caused it to be named after him.

1am: Based on surrounding obs, the Low Center is now passing over Wilmington, N.C. (over land, not yet over the ocean.)

Pressure here dropped 7.3mb over the last 3 hours. ILM has the lowest reading of any city or buoy in the area.

Radar view is peculiar....North Carolina itself is mostly rain-free; while massive precip is falling over the Atlantic. This rain shield needs to rotate landwards big time if the I-95 corridor is to get dumped on. That, or some serious filling in of the 'empty' areas.

Good luck to all.

1am: Based on surrounding obs, the Low Center is now passing over Wilmington, N.C. (over land, not over the ocean.)

Pressure here dropped 7.3mb over the last 3 hours. ILM has the lowest reading of any city or buoy in the area.

Radar view is peculiar....North Carolina itself is mostly rain-free; while massive precip is falling over the Atlantic. This rain shield needs to rotate landwards big time if the I-95 corridor is to get dumped on. That, or some serious filling in of the 'empty' areas.

Good luck to all.

nah, we're getting our snow from the upper level system around TN

we were never to get it from the slp

Serious question: Is this storm turning out anything like what the models showed say Friday/Saturday. I really don't recall the ULL coming into the equation for till Sunday or so.

Before that, this seemed more like a north to south coastal storm. Now, this seems like a Baltimore-DC special while the Miller A-like coastal seems less important???? What were the models showing Friday? I've lost track. Or, better question, what kind of storm did PSUHoffman envision last week that caused it to be named after him.

Short answer: No.

Elaboration: Doesn't really matter anymore. It's been tracking the separate precip. area into the Mid-Atlantic for about 2 days now.

Short answer: No.

Elaboration: Doesn't really matter anymore. It's been tracking the separate precip. area into the Mid-Atlantic for about 2 days now.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but was it always suppose to be the main show on East Coast-- meaning looks like now we could make out better down here than even New York or Boston from what I see. I remember folks on here a few days ago skeptical that ULL snows ever deliver much for us. But I remember Wes keying in on it a few days back on here. However, we were all looking to it at the time as our only hope just to get something -- while the suburbs of New York and Boston cashed in.

Between the banding and possible thundersnows, someone is going to get crushed with well over 12 inches of snow Wed night.

It isn't impossible, all it's gonna take is a couple of thundersnows and persistent banding. I've personally experienced a thundersnow that dumped one frogchoker of 6 inches of snow in TEN FOOKIN' MINUTES back in the 1980s in Woodbridge.

nah, we're getting our snow from the upper level system around TN

we were never to get it from the slp

That's good to hear...because as you can see by the N.C. radar composite loop, the massive precip down here appears headed out to sea.

Whatever the case, I must say this is quite an odd precip field for a Low centered over Wilmington (Cape Fear.) Usually there is plenty of rain north and even northwest of here...yet I see nothing out there.

Anyway, I do hope y'all get a boat load of snow!

Wow. Considering, we have been tracking this one for more than 7 days. I'll take it.

Definitely won't be as major as the Christmas bomb in terms of areal extent or snowfall totals--but the same roller coaster ride watching this event the last 7 days--no doubt. Just 4 days ago we had solutions varying from the GFS Miller B junk run to an Apps Runner inland rain fest with the CMC.

212am Wednesday morning here with steady light snow - you heard me right - that was NO typo - we have snow - at 34 degrees.

I am beginning to think here in north VA we may end up with snow throughout the day Weds just like Maryland.

I never expected snow tonight (early this morning).

I expected rain tonight then RA/SN during the day Weds, then the snow Weds night.

What a sweet surprise. LWX better get on the ball quick or else face a public relations disaster.

I know we weren't supposed to get snow from the slp - But, WE ARE getting snow from the slp.

Temp has fallen to 33 degrees in the snow. Dewpoint is 26 degrees and holding serve.

I know I have been on this kick all day, but I'm sorry. LWX has to get it together. Not so much for me or people on this board, but the public. How is the average Joe suppose to make sense of any this if they go to their website. Disregard the ongoing Watch-vs-Warning by this point debate.

When I click on my location on their new experimental graphic that they promo at top of their site it says 1 to 3 tomorrow during the day and 4 to 8 inches tomorrow night for city of Washington. T

However, when you move to regular point and click map, it now says "little to no accumulation" tomorrow during the day with rain and only 3 to 5 inches tomorrow night. Yet, if you read their watch at the top of the page it says more than 5 inches possible.

I am not posting to stir a debate on here since we are all savvy, but pity the thousands who will go on there tonight or tomorrow a.m. to try to figure out if they should drive or take the Metro into work. They are suppose to be the front-line here for people to decide stuff like that, but a consistent forecast from them at this moment is impossible to obtain.

Oh, and tonight for my location it is forecasting rain -- even though it has begun snowing.

NWS LWX is gonna have to field a ton of angry questions from the public over this developing storm. This is fooking ridiculous. They predicted RAIN tonight! IT IS SNOWING - in eastern Prince William County where I live and in Washington DC at 224am!!!!!!!

They need to get their collective heads out of their ASSES on this one!! What a clusterfook!! Geeze! What are they on, Thorazine lol?

NWS LWX is gonna have to field a ton of angry questions from the public over this developing storm. This is fooking ridiculous. They predicted RAIN tonight! IT IS SNOWING - in eastern Prince William County where I live and in Washington DC at 224am!!!!!!!

They need to get their collective heads out of their ASSES on this one!! What a clusterfook!! Geeze! What are they on, Thorazine lol?

Eh, they predicted snow for me tonight.

.REST OF TONIGHT...CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF RAIN AND SNOW. LOWS IN THE

LOWER 30S. NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 5 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION

40 PERCENT.

.WEDNESDAY...RAIN AND SNOW. SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 3 INCHES.

HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE OF

PRECIPITATION NEAR 100 PERCENT.

.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...SNOW...MAINLY IN THE EVENING. SNOW MAY BE HEAVY

AT TIMES IN THE EVENING. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 8 INCHES.

LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S. NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO

25 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW NEAR 100 PERCENT.

228am 33 degrees dewpoint 27 degrees with steady light snow. The snow is increasing in intensity.

I got news for ya - My car top is white. My driveway is turning white. Road is wet from a crapload of salt VDOT dumped there geeze.

This is not rain - the temp is falling and the snow is getting heavier.

I'm laughing at the superior intellect, NWS

LOTS of moisture heading Inbound attm

http://radar.weather...s/full_loop.php

35dbZ element east of DCA, Balto heading NNE - If that is snow - there will be accumulations overnight

238am 33 degrees DP 28 degrees. Moderate snow - Large flakes pounding down.

Parts of my street are white. The lawn is rapidly turning white. I can see this even without the streetlights - the flakes are SO DAMN FOOKIN' LARGE that I don't even need a streetlight to see 'em!! Sidewalks are white. Car tops, tops of shrubs are white - This storm is starting EARLIER than modeled and earlier than forecasted!!!

I already have a quarter inch to half an inch of slushy snow on the ground in Woodbridge VA.

NWS - It is not raining. THIS IS MODERATE TO HEAVY WET SNOW

Temp just fell to 32 degrees!!!!

Archived