• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

Well we were supposed to have a little light rain tonight, you know, a couple hundredths of an inch of rain overnight. Then rain/snow mix during the day Wednesday. Then snow at night.

It's 32.4 degrees with moderate snow, some large flakes pounding down. Our little 'light rain event' is whitening up the ROADS here as well as all sidewalks, car tops and shrub tops. The top of my plastic trash can out back is collecting 'white rain' nicely now.

Great forecast, NWS, Right on the Money lol. Hell what do I know? I'm just a weenie huh Down to 31 degrees now.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we were supposed to have a little light rain tonight, you know, a couple hundredths of an inch of rain overnight. Then rain/snow mix during the day Wednesday. Then snow at night.

It's 32.4 degrees with moderate snow, some large flakes pounding down. Our little 'light rain event' is whitening up the ROADS here as well as all sidewalks, car tops and shrub tops. The top of my plastic trash can out back is collecting 'white rain' nicely now.

Great forecast, NWS, Right on the Money lol. Hell what do I know? I'm just a weenie huh Down to 31 degrees now.

So much for the rain...white rain more like it. pretty big flakes coming down heavy now here in capitol heights,md/largo

257 am with continued moderate snow. All roads are white. Temp is 31 dewpoint 28. I have half an inch of snow. Some surfaces have three quarters of an inch of wet snow. That high yesterday of 54 degrees didn't do NOTHIN'. Radar shows plenty of moisture headed north over top my backyard as isentropic upglide continues. There are yellow elements headed for my position now not just east of DCA like earlier.

This is a major storm. It is also starting WAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of schedule. Look out Mid Atl becuase I think we are gonna get destroyed by this snowstorm. It will probably end up staying in the upper 20s all day today with all snow, all day. Then the comma head cometh.

Uhhhhh......

Overnight: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a low around 28. North wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Wednesday: Snow before noon, then rain and snow between noon and 3pm, then snow after 3pm. High near 34. North wind between 7 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Wednesday Night: Snow, mainly before midnight. Low around 24. North wind between 8 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

This is from the 1:45 update.

P.S. still no warning......and already a light dusting on all surfaces. Going to be a disastrous morning and afternoon rush.

257 am with continued moderate snow. All roads are white. Temp is 31 dewpoint 28. I have half an inch of snow. Some surfaces have three quarters of an inch of wet snow. That high yesterday of 54 degrees didn't do NOTHIN'. Radar shows plenty of moisture headed north over top my backyard as isentropic upglide continues. There are yellow elements headed for my position now not just east of DCA like earlier.

This is a major storm. It is also starting WAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of schedule. Look out Mid Atl becuase I think we are gonna get destroyed by this snowstorm. It will probably end up staying in the upper 20s all day today with all snow, all day. Then the comma head cometh.

Agreed on temps. I have no idea where some of these TV news stations are coming up with low/mid 40s for highs during the day today. I hope the public is ready for the onslaught of convective snow during the rush-hour. It looks to hit right at 4/5-8 PM with the nastiest stuff.

The warnings will come out within the hour. Please relax, everyone.

Yes, it's delayed, but it's coming, so bitching about it between now and their overnight updates is stupid.

AFTER it's issued, we can fuss about the numbers or who doesn't get included.

Also, the observations are supposed to go in the observation thread. No need to post them twice, we can read it in the obs thread.

Thanks.

I just cannot fathom the reasoning for no warning. It is obviously colder than they or the models expected....and many areas far south are seeing predominantly snow. Even their own forcasts now have 6-12 up here.....yet.....no warning.

They did not have enough confidence at their 9pm update. They don't update every hour, they update 4-6 times a day. Their next update is between 3 and 4am...

The reasoning was:

AREAS EAST OF THE BLUERIDGE REMAIN IN A WINTER STORM WATCH AS CONFIDENCE IN WARNINGCRITERIA IS A LITTLE LOWER. THIS IS LARGELY DUE TO THE LOCATION OFTHE RAIN/SNOW LINE...WHICH WILL ULTIMATELY DETERMINE SNOWFALLACCUMULATIONS. THERE IS STILL THE POTENTIAL FOR 5 OR MORE INCHESWITHIN THE WATCH AREA AS WELL...BUT WE JUST DONT HAVE THECONFIDENCE TO UPGRADE TO A WARNING RIGHT NOW. HOPEFULLY 00ZGUIDANCE WILL OFFER INCREASED CONFIDENCE WHERE THE RAIN/SNOW LINE

WILL SET UP AND THEN HEADLINE ADJUSTMENTS CAN BE MADE OVERNIGHT.

The 00z guidance came in, it was a hit... they have now analyzed it, and the warnings will come out shortly.

Archived