SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

btw i called this storm on jan 5 so im going to have my lawyer contact psuhoffman

next week looks like a growing chance but since everyone's going there i'll go with the most likely date in nina yrs

1/28 - 2.2"

Great post from Earthlight, figured i would post it here in case no one saw it.

I'll tell you what. I initially doubted this storm tremendously given the height pattern and upper air blocking breakdown, but it's becoming clear that this could very well mean business if tonight's model guidance even has a semblance of a clue. I know there were plenty of people calling last weeks storm "mundane" (which it did end up being for most people), but this is the exact opposite of that should it come to fruition. The upper level shortwave is absolutely loaded with tons of vorticity--there's a very favorable baroclinic zone which the surface low's have been developing on all year. It's no coincidence the banding has liked to develop in the same areas. With the cyclone rapidly maturing and the favorable positions of the closed H7/H8/H925 lows which we have seen modeled (with a few bumps and jogs west and east here and there), there is some good support developing for more heavy deformation banding to develop underneath the Cold Conveyor Belt.

I would actually favor two areas of deformation that could legitimately make this a big snowstorm. One would be as the surface low initially develops off the coast--probably over West Virgina and in the immediate burbs of DC/BWI. Another should develop as the surface low undergoes rapid intensification along the aforementioned baroclinic zone. This is the big classic "comma-head" development the guidance is trying to key in on this evening. We can see it clearly on the NAM banding graphics which show the 800-600mb frontogenesis. This is a very useful tool for trying to pinpoint where the model guidance is actually trying to put the banding..not where the QPF shows it's heaviest. Regardless the NAM...in agreement with most other models (RGEM/MM5/etc) has the banding developing first near DC (click here for the DC banding image)...and then the big band developing overhead. That image is below. Trying to pinpoint the area this band will sit over is nearly impossible at this range...but it's safe to say that areas like Western LI...Central/Northern NJ..SE NY...SW CT and especially into Southern New England should be on high alert this point...for the potential for another one of those "classic" frontogenically forced bands which have the potential to dump prolific snow amounts in short periods of time.

51 hr banding over PHL (54 hrs is below)

I said 6-1 early on wrt the 18Z guidance and if the upper low took the farther SE track--and that I would like a farther NW track of the upper low. You weenies never remember the details.

to be fair there isnt much reason to delve deep into ratios over a day out with guidance still shifting colder (at least for now). 6:1 is kind of absurd as well.. maybe to start but not an avg. ;)

That looks pretty nice... but it reopens at 48 in C NC

http://cheget.msrc.s...vor.48.0000.gif

Wait... is it actually a really tiny closed h5? I can't tell

Be careful with looking at contours since different maps may use different plotting. For instance--one map may use different contour intervals or values. Also--if the upper low to the north is even a tad farther S--that will "open" the closed contour and make it seem weaker when in reality it is not.

to be fair there isnt much reason to delve deep into ratios over a day out with guidance still shifting colder (at least for now). 6:1 is kind of absurd as well.. maybe to start but not an avg. ;)

6-1 is not absurd at all depending on the thermal profile and a number of other factors. Yes to start for DC--and it could very well remain that to areas just SE on the dividing line of significantly higher ratios. Unfortunately a huge number of factors come into play regarding snow ratios since it is accumulated snow/liquid water. One could have extremely high ratios aloft but then a shallow melting layer which compacts wet snow into a slush giving relatively low snow ratios, for instance.

I would be interested to see some first(or second) guess maps from the mets(or others) in here if anyone feels up to it. Probably wait until 12z tomorrow though I would assume.

Either way its looking better and better to finally get the snowless monkey off our backs. However, we have seen crazier things this winter so I am not all in yet.

Archived