12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 24th-26th Winter Storm Potential

cmichweather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was more talking about the storm they’ll be seeing soon. As for this one, I’ve said all along the OH valley is in play, especially east. But if I had to favor a solution, it’s another coastal, miller A style.

ok, but the thread i saw him in was next weeks threat. If that winds up enough to go north all the way up into new england it's almost a sure bet to be rain for most of the coast/i-95. High sliding east and no blocking. otherwise, if it's a euro-ish look with a cutoff low and a weaker low, then they're in the game.....and you and me would be as well.

18z NAM is going to be much further North and East with this system.

That's what the trend has been the last few runs, or so should I say the whole winter! We have about 25 inches on the ground here, so the map isn't entirely accurate. This could make for a scary spring flood wise!

MinneSNOWtA!

s110120.gif

What are your thoughts Barc?

What I posted in MA/NYC/Philly.

Here is a good look at the GFS operational in the Pacific. Watch each wave disturbance break off the Pacific Jet then pass over the Eastern Pacific Ridge. The exact timing of these low amplitude features and how strong they eventually are is almost impossible for the models to accurately simulate--then more variability is thrown into the mix as they pass through the coastal ranges and dense mountain networks of BC. This is likely going to be some of the lowest verification scores of the models all winter with this pattern we are getting into.

http://weather.utah....fs004&r=PA&d=TS

What I posted in MA/NYC/Philly.

Here is a good look at the GFS operational in the Pacific. Watch each wave disturbance break off the Pacific Jet then pass over the Eastern Pacific Ridge. The exact timing of these low amplitude features and how strong they eventually are is almost impossible for the models to accurately simulate--then more variability is thrown into the mix as they pass through the coastal ranges and dense mountain networks of BC. This is likely going to be some of the lowest verification scores of the models all winter with this pattern we are getting into.

http://weather.utah....fs004&r=PA&d=TS

In summation, be prepared for a lot of "the models suck" posts.

Pretty much. In reality--I guess the best thing to say is nobody should be necessarily latching on to any one solution beyond 72 hours out--and even then things are prone to wild changes.

Quite honestly I love this type of pattern because things are fun to track and it reminds us how chaotic the atmosphere can be at times.

Quite honestly I love this type of pattern because things are fun to track and it reminds us how chaotic the atmosphere can be at times.

I don't think some understand the potential this pattern may bring.

I'd still rather see a big wrapped up storm depositing 10+ inches on the backside with thundersnow, than 2" of WAA snow.

I agree but,

Can get that ( big hit ) with this pattern coming up unless by freak chance we end up with the same sort of blocking we had. Right now nothing is suggesting that.

I'd still rather see a big wrapped up storm depositing 10+ inches on the backside with thundersnow, than 2" of WAA snow.

I like big storms too, but with the AO projected to be near neutral to positive and that dominant +PNA ridge--unless some magical phases happen it doesn't seem like a sufficiently intense baroclinic zone will be present for any wrapped beasts in the mid-range future. That said--these baroclinic wave train patterns can always yield a few pleasant surprises.

I agree but,

Can get that ( big hit ) with this pattern coming up unless by freak chance we end up with the same sort of blocking we had. Right now nothing is suggesting that.

Yeah there is always potential and there will likely be some pleasant surprises for some in this pattern.

I agree but,

Eh Harry, I don't know. This looks like a pattern of relatively frequent smaller events to me. If we miss the opportunity for a big storm with the event that this thread pertains to, we'll probably be waiting until February or March.

I like big storms too, but with the AO projected to be near neutral to positive and that dominant +PNA ridge--unless some magical phases happen it doesn't seem like a sufficiently intense baroclinic zone will be present for any wrapped beasts in the mid-range future. That said--these baroclinic wave train patterns can always yield a few pleasant surprises.

meh..Not so sure how much i would buy into the neutral AO.

ao.sprd2.gif

With this atleast the models have not been so hot. And from a historical climo standpoint ( big storms etc ) for this region i really don't want it too negative anyways. See Jan 67, 78 etc.

Eh Harry, I don't know. This looks like a pattern of relatively frequent smaller events to me. If we miss the opportunity for a big storm with the event that this thread pertains to, we'll probably be waiting until February or March.

The big key i have been looking for ( what i usually look for ) is more ridging out west. Assuming the models are correct about the PNA/EPO we should get that part of the deal. That allows the systems to dig more which should help force more ridging ahead of them too and that is where the NAO comes into play. get what we had and well congrats i95 but get what we had in say Jan 67 or 78 and hello GL/OV.

Ofcourse we need the storms etc to line up perfectly as well. Basically all i am just saying that this has more potential then the crap we had back in Dec etc. Whether it bears fruit or not is to be seen.

The big key i have been looking for ( what i usually look for ) is more ridging out west. Assuming the models are correct about the PNA/EPO we should get that part of the deal. That allows the systems to dig more which should help force more ridging ahead of them too and that is where the NAO comes into play. get what we had and well congrats i95 but get what we had in say Jan 67 or 78 and hello GL/OV.

Ofcourse we need the storms etc to line up perfectly as well. Basically all i am just saying that this has more potential then the crap we had back in Dec etc. Whether it bears fruit or not is to be seen.

I can agree with that. :) I'm sure part of my skepticism is because of what has happened up to this point, but I gotta be careful to not let that cloud my judgement.

Archived