• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
JAN 20th-22nd potential..

NaoPos

Isobars looks East to even Southeast on that, would that low be strong enough for cross isobaric flow and keep the marine layer from ruining it for LI/NYC?

If the low tracks over DC/Philly, no. The NAM's solution would almost entirely be rain, even inland because of roaring south winds and WAA. You'd have to be over the Poconos and Catskills to stay snow with a track like that. We need a less phased outcome like the GFS to have a shot.

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the low tracks over DC/Philly, no. The NAM's solution would almost entirely be rain, even inland because of roaring south winds and WAA. You'd have to be over the Poconos and Catskills to stay snow with a track like that. We need a less phased outcome like the GFS to have a shot.

With a surface temp below freezing i would have to disagree that it would be plain rain on the NAM...to the north of the big cities..

The 0z GFS tracks the storm just south of DC, and NYC stays all snow easily. There's a pretty cold antecedent airmass and it's an overrunning event, so I wouldn't mind if the track came slightly further north than the 0z GFS, although the 0z NAM was too close a call for NYC metro. I don't think anyone should be too worried about the inland solutions yet, as the ECM has the storm mostly out to sea with much less precipitation. A smart call would be to hedge between the GFS and the Euro, discarding the NAM which is usually garbage and overphased at 84 hours.

With a surface temp below freezing i would have to disagree that it would be plain rain on the NAM...to the north of the big cities..

North of big cities would probably be sleet...

I just saw the gfs solution and the NAM solution. While the NAM solution is possible given lack of 50/50 low, the NAM has a habit of overphasing systems. Not to mention the NAM is horribly inaccurate outside of 48 hours. I'm going with the gfs on this one for now and not because it gives me snow, but because it's more reasonable to me.

The low is considerably stronger on the NAM than this current storm, and again there's no major high to keep cold air in place. This current storm is also tracking east of almost all of us, mitigating the huge surge of warm southerly winds a strong low tracking over DC would produce. I agree though that some favored areas would have pockets of freezing rain in this setup.

But it's the NAM at 84 hours, which is hugely liable to change. The overall trend on multiple models is much more important at this juncture.

The low is considerably stronger on the NAM than this current storm, and again there's no major high to keep cold air in place. This current storm is also tracking east of almost all of us, mitigating the huge surge of warm southerly winds a strong low tracking over DC would produce. I agree though that some favored areas would have pockets of freezing rain in this setup.

But it's the NAM at 84 hours, which is hugely liable to change. The overall trend on multiple models is much more important at this juncture.

This is nothing like the current storm, this is an overrunning event. The current storm has a primary cutting through the Great Lakes, which is producing strong WAA at 850mb. You can see on the GFS that 850s stay plenty cold enough even with the low tracking near DC; it's going to form a coastal which turns winds around to the northeast. Even the 0z NAM is probably snow-->sleet->snow for NYC, especially the suburbs.

This is nothing like the current storm, this is an overrunning event. The current storm has a primary cutting through the Great Lakes, which is producing strong WAA at 850mb. You can see on the GFS that 850s stay plenty cold enough even with the low tracking near DC; it's going to form a coastal which turns winds around to the northeast. Even the 0z NAM is probably snow-->sleet->snow for NYC, especially the suburbs.

Probably more sleet than snow with the NAM, but the overrunning becomes a coastal as the low is on the coast. When it does that, it could easily draw in warmer air from the ocean and give us rain. Not that I think that's going to happen but it is a possibility.

FWIW, it really looks like 1994 out there, another threat on the gfs Day 8 except this time we have a strong high right above us, I just hope it''s more snow than sleet. I can't stand sleet although I must say Feb and March 2007 were pretty epic with all of that sleet.

Probably more sleet than snow with the NAM, but the overrunning becomes a coastal as the low is on the coast. When it does that, it could easily draw in warmer air from the ocean and give us rain. Not that I think that's going to happen but it is a possibility.

FWIW, it really looks like 1994 out there, another threat on the gfs Day 8 except this time we have a strong high right above us, I just hope it''s more snow than sleet. I can't stand sleet although I must say Feb and March 2007 were pretty epic with all of that sleet.

I was in Middlebury, VT for Feb/March 2007, I can guarantee you it was a lot more epic there!

GFS does look like 93-94...tons of moderate snow events with brutal cold in between. We're in the midst of an epic winter, boys.

a little off topic for this thread, but looks like gfs has another chance for a storm next tuesday?

I read on another Board earlier there is another chance of a storm a few days after the One on Fri but didn't hear any details.. Apparently if it is showing on GFS it has been showing that for a couple runs at least since I read that before the latest GFS came out.. If that happened that would be 3 storms within 7 days pretty darn active in what is turning into an Epic Winter as far as storms are concerned..

I'll have to respectfully disagree. For the far north suburbs, maybe. For the city and immediate suburbs, highly doubtful. The 0z NAM at 84 has a 20-25kt east wind from NYC east, and the 0c line at the surface rapidly retreating west. Verbatim, that's an absolute disaster for anyone near the coast. Tomorrow, there's a strong onshore fetch at the immediate coast only, but it decreases to near nothing just inland. There's maybe a couple of hour window before this to thump snow/frozen on Friday on this NAM run, but that's gone very quickly with this kind of torching fetch. There's also the strengthening 988mb low near Annapolis on that frame, while the current low gets maybe down to 1000mb and tracks east of the coast. The WAA for Friday's event (if this NAM run is right which it won't be at 84hr) would be several orders of magnitude stronger than the event tonight/tomorrow which in terms of strength is a lot weaker.

It's all about the timing/location/strength of the phase. Hopefully the GFS is correct and it can stay offshore/weaker, because we have no block to force a redevelopment or offshore track this time.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. For the far north suburbs, maybe. For the city and immediate suburbs, highly doubtful. The 0z NAM at 84 has a 20-25kt east wind from NYC east, and the 0c line at the surface rapidly retreating west. Verbatim, that's an absolute disaster for anyone near the coast. Tomorrow, there's a strong onshore fetch at the immediate coast only, but it decreases to near nothing just inland. There's maybe a couple of hour window before this to thump snow/frozen on Friday on this NAM run, but that's gone very quickly with this kind of torching fetch. There's also the strengthening 988mb low near Annapolis on that frame, while the current low gets maybe down to 1000mb and tracks east of the coast. The WAA for Friday's event (if this NAM run is right which it won't be at 84hr) would be several orders of magnitude stronger than the event tonight/tomorrow which in terms of strength is a lot weaker.

It's all about the timing/location/strength of the phase. Hopefully the GFS is correct and it can stay offshore/weaker, because we have no block to force a redevelopment or offshore track this time.

Torching fetch?

NAM at 84 has nearly everyone around freezing...what are you talking about?

Torching fetch?

NAM at 84 has nearly everyone around freezing...what are you talking about?

It's retreating very fast at 84, particularly from NYC area south/east. Look at the last few frames here:

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/ETAPA_0z/etaloop.html

You might be right in that areas north of I-80 thump for a few hours before changing over. This could be a thump SNE type solution before the changeover.

This one could be a nail biter for us and it will completely depend on the track. There are generally two options on the table. Either the low stays offshore and we get mostly snow or its a coastal hugger and we'll probably go from snow to sleet/rain than back to snow. This one will probably be decided in a couple of days.

Archived