joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Midwest Thanksgiving Storm...

Powerball

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, we probably are. But it's still early enough in the season that it won't bother me.

I wouldn't rule anything out yet as I have often seen strong highs build S or SSE and push the storm SE on a NE track then turning N as the cold air wraps into the system increasing the PGF and inducing a negative tilt. It's hard to ignore the consistent signal of the cold air just literally "dumping" into the plains, and if you have say a 1040 high centered over western Minn. that system isn't gonna track up Lake Michigan. The GFS loves to drive systems into a ridge about as much as Matt Stafford gets injured. I would not be surprised if in a few days you have a high of at least 1040 somewhere in the plains and the GFS having a strong system driving it NNW into the east edge of the ridge. The biggest key to me will be where does the high get centered, it's strength and the strength of the CAA in the preceding systems.

I wouldn't rule anything out yet as I have often seen strong highs build S or SSE and push the storm SE on a NE track then turning N as the cold air wraps into the system increasing the PGF and inducing a negative tilt. It's hard to ignore the consistent signal of the cold air just literally "dumping" into the plains, and if you have say a 1040 high centered over western Minn. that system isn't gonna track up Lake Michigan. The GFS loves to drive systems into a ridge about as much as Matt Stafford gets injured. I would not be surprised if in a few days you have a high of at least 1040 somewhere in the plains and the GFS having a strong system driving it NNW into the east edge of the ridge. The biggest key to me will be where does the high get centered, it's strength and the strength of the CAA in the preceding systems.

laugh.gif

Yeah, you do see that with the GFS a lot (Christmas '09 was an example where it was correct though). I do like your thinking with that as it wouldn't take much to throw a wrench in it.

I have been in the snow mode since the Octobomb. :)

Eh, that High Risk kept me in a severe weather mood for a couple weeks after, it's a real shame I wasn't 50-60 miles further west or that would've been an awesome day.

I literally haven't has as snowflake here since March... so I haven't had a real taste of winter in a long time. At least I'll have Thanksgiving break in the short range for this, so this gives me more time to obsess over storm tracks.

Skilling starting to talk about this storm as well..

From his facebook,

The period which follows nxt wk could get VERY interesting. Thanksgiving travel may be impacted. Details vary, but storm dvlpmnt & a wintry blast follow mid/ late nxt wk!

IWX, APX, and GRB all talked it up while DTX talked it down and GRR was unsure.

is the energy in Colorado going to come out as a first wave? If so, that would drive the cold down into the Ohio Valley...and lower Heights as the next vort comes out with a whole lot of cold air in place that came from a heavily snow covered area.

Actually, that's the third of three s/w's that eject out before the main storm.

Archived