e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The NYC Banter Thread

Rib

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to note that we are warmer than progged by a few degrees in NYC. 50 F in midtown.

Happens almost every time in Spring with sunshine and a dry, downsloping NW wind. When we have a cool, moist southerly flow in a few weeks I bet we'll underperform the model highs. These are classic manual adjustment to model output.

Happens almost every time in Spring with sunshine and a dry, downsloping NW wind. When we have a cool, moist southerly flow in a few weeks I bet we'll underperform the model highs. These are classic manual adjustment to model output.

We also didn't get as cold as progged last night in the city. Low of 31, forecast was for upper 20s I believe. And actually the zone forecast last night for Manhattan had the highs today only reaching the lower 40s.

Every time a heatwave with searing sunshine is progged in the summer I will be swinging my arms screaming that climo calls for a high of 86 degrees and .32 inches of rain.

There is a difference here. I'm fairly certain that there is a much greater likelihood of a heat wave in July in NYC, than there is of accumulating snow (certainly accumulating snow of 1" or more).

There is a difference here. I'm fairly certain that there is a much greater likelihood of a heat wave in July in NYC, than there is of accumulating snow (certainly accumulating snow of 1" or more).

Yup sure is.... my original statement was about April 90 degree heat though.... I said the chances of an accumulating snowfall in April were more than 90 degree heat.

Guest Pamela

Famartin's posts include certain propositons which are important to keep in mind:

1/ If you reside in what he considers a non-snow town, any snowfall measurement that appears inordinately high is subject to examination and question.

2/ If you reside in what he considers a non-snow town, any snowfall measurement that seem inordinately low is sacrosanct...especially if it was taken by the FAA or NWS.

3/ If you reside in what he considers a snow town, any snowfall measurement that appears inordinately high is probably justifiable.

4/ If you reside in what he considers a snow town, any snowfall measurement that appears inordinately low is potentially wrong.

5/ Snow towns can be found throughout New England, save for the extreme south coast. All of NY state is snow town territory, except for NYC and LI. None of NJ is snow town territory, except for Sussex, Warren, Morris, and Passaic counties...and N. Bergen on good days. Most of eastern PA is snow town territory, save for the SE portion (think SE of a line from Harrisburg to Allentown). No one south of the Mason Dixon Line lives in a snow town, except if they are in the mountains.

6/ Weenies are found almost exclusively in non-snow towns.

*The 5th propositon does have considerable basis in reality.

This brings up a really good point and a further question.... how do we define what a "snow town" is? How much does the average annual snowfall need to be to have that honor bestowed upon a town? I say it's somewhere between 40-60"....although I'm uncertain what the lower limit I would place on it would be..... probably either 50" or 60"

Famartin's posts include certain propositons which are important to keep in mind:

1/ If you reside in what he considers a non-snow town, any snowfall measurement that appears inordinately high is subject to examination and question.

2/ If you reside in what he considers a non-snow town, any snowfall measurement that seem inordinately low is sacrosanct...especially if it was taken by the FAA or NWS.

3/ If you reside in what he considers a snow town, any snowfall measurement that appears inordinately high is probably justifiable.

4/ If you reside in what he considers a snow town, any snowfall measurement that appears inordinately low is potentially wrong.

5/ Snow towns can be found throughout New England, save for the extreme south coast. All of NY state is snow town territory, except for NYC and LI. None of NJ is snow town territory, except for Sussex, Warren, Morris, and Passaic counties...and N. Bergen on good days. Most of eastern PA is snow town territory, save for the SE portion (think SE of a line from Harrisburg to Allentown). No one south of the Mason Dixon Line lives in a snow town, except if they are in the mountains.

6/ Weenies are found almost exclusively in non-snow towns.

*The 5th propositon does have considerable basis in reality.

Climo is factored into points 1 through 4. :snowman:

Yes, if it ain't gonna snow, then this time of year it might as well be in the 60's and 70's. None of this mid 30's and rain crap. Ugh.

35 and rain means snow in Upstate NY and NNE for sledding and skiing. I can't wait to try a bit of skiing in the nice April sun, not a good skier by any means but do enjoy it from time to time. Vermont has an incredible base right now so I'm rooting for this storm, and next week's storm, to hit.

This brings up a really good point and a further question.... how do we define what a "snow town" is? How much does the average annual snowfall need to be to have that honor bestowed upon a town? I say it's somewhere between 40-60"....although I'm uncertain what the lower limit I would place on it would be..... probably either 50" or 60"

Sapporo is the world's snowiest large city with an average around 220"/season....but that's a lot to expect. Most of the snowier large cities in America average around 40-45"/year; Chicago and Boston are both in this category.

Archived