• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The NYC Banter Thread

Rib

yea... I really did measure all over the place.. It was hard for me to come to grips with it.. I thought I didn't know how to use a ruler, but that's all I got.. I think the Palisades mall magically sucked up some of the snow in between our locations and caused the mall to sink a couple more inches..

If you look at some of the radar shots...the very northern tip of the great banding that sat over earthlight for hours kinda snuck into eastern rockland a bit...Plus my 500' kinda helped. weight_lift.gif

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at some of the radar shots...the very northern tip of the great banding that sat over earthlight for hours kinda snuck into eastern rockland a bit...Plus my 500' kinda helped. weight_lift.gif

Yes you are correct, the radar showed that beautifully.

that band was crazy.

You can see the subsidence over Central Westchester, I was really pissed in that storm despite loving the extreme conditions outside. Upton illogically updated our forecast to 20"+ during the storm when it was clear Westchester was going to sit in light snows with poor snow growth while NJ and Dutchess County got rocked. This was a major bust as I only measured 13" here in Dobbs Ferry, although I do believe I slightly undermeasured since spotter reports in the area were in the 14-18" range. That really began the epic stretch of cold and snow cover we enjoyed this winter.

Makes me want to do it all over, although I don't know if I want to be on the coast for another winter. I am really ready to move to an epically snowy place like the Northern Greens, BC's Coast Range, or the Sierra Nevada. While I'm young and can still enjoy winter and trying to ski, I want to be in a place that gets nailed year after year. Winter to me means having a huge snowpack and multiple large storms, as I remember being in the Poconos at our house in 93-94 and having 3' on the ground at 1500'....can't even imagine what the mountains near 2500' had. I am seriously considering trying to find a job in a place that gets pasted, and the Sierras are my number one choice for the epic Pacific jet snowstorms as well as proximity to San Francisco. I do love Nor'easters but the second half of this winter got kind of painful, and who knows if we'll have such a memorable season next year.

Yea, it's one of those storms where you could have 3 feet on one block and 2 feet on the next.... you'd probably have to measure over a large area to get any kind of accurate average. This past Boxing Day storm was sort of like that too. BTW those pics are mindnumbing :snowman::thumbsup:

Lyndhurst NJ had 29 inches of snow at 2 AM...

They didn't update it.... So, we'll never know how much they truly got...

I live in Lyndhurst and I think that 29" total was slightly inflated. I only took one measurement at the end of the storm and there was about 22-24" on the ground. I think 25 or 26" would be a more accurate total as I doubt it compacted that much in a few hours.

Given the winds, it was essentially impossible to get a good measurement in any urban or semi-urban area. All you had to do was look at the rooftops... was ANY snow left on them?

There was a good amount of snow left on the rooftops here. Then again, where I live, a lot of the roofs are relatively flat.

It sucks that NYC didn't break the record. I really thought there was a good shot of the record being broken. I had 60 inches by Feb 1. I never remember that much snow before Feb 1 in a long time.

again, if you want to blame one storm: January 11-12th, 2011.

again, if you want to blame one storm: January 11-12th, 2011.

That was my best storm of the season with 14.5", as a nice band aligned along the CT/NY border and clocked Westchester for a while. Central Park only got 9" as the low pressure bombed out a bit late for NYC...had the Miller B formed a bit faster, we all would have seen 12+, and maybe the 20+ amounts in SNE. I remember that being a very cold, powdery snow with temperatures in the low 20s for most of the event.

That and February sucked big time. The blocking broke down.:thumbsdown:

We lost the -NAO after the 1/12 storm, but the MJO-induced PNA saved us for a while. When that collapsed, we went into a full La Niña pattern with the trough shifting to the West Coast, something we've seen in many other La Niña Februaries such as 1955 and 1989, so not uncommon for a strong cold ENSO to have this pattern change. The -NAO came back in late March but it was too late for NYC to crack the record. Still, 09-10/10-11 were the snowiest consecutive winter's in the area's history, no way I ever thought I would have another 70" season here.

Archived