• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
The NYC Banter Thread

Rib

There's widespread thundersnow being reported in Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia. As a matter of fact there was a report of 10.5" of snow from just north of Atlanta.

Oh yea? I told my friend in Cumming (yes that is the town name LOL) N of ATL that he should see 5 inches of snow and possible thundersnow. This storm is a good one down there. !!! So much for a SE ridge and La nina !!!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure this is in the right place but here i go!

I am a snow loving weenie and was so happy when i found the old site 2 years ago, i am mostly a lurker as i am trying to learn more about the winter events i love so much!

That said

I love the model breakdowns and or play by play as they run!

I can't thank you all enough Earthlight, AM19PSU, Tombo, Usetobe, i know i am leaving a ton of others out but wow in the last several weeks and especially the days leading up to the current event i have learned so much! Way more than i have in the last 2 years!

Again many thanks

Chrissy

I was typing the following post as a reply to the thread which just got locked.....

-------------------------------

this was posted....

I get excited over those litle events-- because when I come back home to the usual clear blue skies with nw winds, it just seems really boring.  Just to see consistent snowfall for hours on end without anything really showing up on the radar is pretty amazing and something we're not used to.<br><br><br>Wow, thats unbelievable that your house in NE PA hasnt been cashing in-- what about the Feb 26 event last year?  I would have thought they did well with the retrograder.  <br><br>I wonder what kind of snowfall totals we'd have out of Ocean and Monmouth Counties if (like they have on the west coast) there were mountains all the way up to the water.  I imagine, someone down there would have had well over 100 inches of snow last winter.<br><br><br>

My reply:

Interesting conversation. First as it relates to the current event, the poconos have certainly been in a bit of a big storm drought considering all of the activity of the past two years and once again this storm is trending east. The one hope for the region is to receive about .35-.5 QPF which could easily translate into 6-10 inches of snow and possibly a bit more with the crazy ratios which are a potential. As noted, the region often finds a way to "get into the snow" with many small events. I like to call it "snow is in the air" and I have seen it last for days. Just this past weekend I watched from my mountain top at 2000' snow squeezed out for an extra few inches of fresh powder on Sat evening. Friday 4-5 inches of snow, Sat day provided another 2 inches and evening another 2 inches. Even Sunday morning, with the sun breaking through, snow flurries and showers continued...but very light with trace accums. I have often seen  a tenth of moister crank out 2-4 inches of snow. I have also seen lake effect, post major storm passage to our east, last for days on end.....with 1-3 in daily accums.As for Monmouth NJ, my primary residence, you touch on a factor which actually does show its impact despite its minor significance, elevation. I live in So Mo Co near Allaire State Park. The elevation in this area are only about 170-200ft but oh what a difference they can make. I have seen ice storms in the hills with no ice along the adjacent roads. I have had 9 inches of snow at my house and 2-3 slushy inches of muck at the office less then a mile away. I can not count how many times our neighborhood required plowing when everywhere else in our immediate surround did not. Lucky for us the County does a fine job as they own the road clearing in the area and the town has learned to send salt, sand and a plow when the temps are borderline elsewhere....plus it helps having one of the fire chiefs near by. The variance I have noted is often about 1/2 degree in temp, which sometimes makes a huge difference between rain or snow and why the R/S often dances along 195 between the RT34 exit and Lakewood exit. Another common place to see the impact of elevation in Monmouth is the GSP heading through Homdel. I have driven through driving rain and climbed the hill there to find ice and snow literally shutting down all traffic. I recall back in the late 80's a few events which did shut it down. As for the current storm, Monmouth looks to fair good to great, depending upon the placement. Last night we were in the cross hairs (not good that far out imo) and have seen the more significant precip shift east....the question is does it remain there or do we get back into the 1" + range? Note, the immediate coast line is oh so close still. I would not be shocked to see a 8-12 storm with local 14" amounts and even some drifting. It would be cool to see mother nature hand our region another whopper, 3 last year and 1 this year. Remember, we had a long drought before 2009-2010....I kept the snow thrower in the barn for a few years, now the darn thing is getting a work out!

Wow.....what do ya know.

Mt. Holly:

RIGHT NOW...THE LEAST CONFIDENCE IN THE WATCH IS IN THE LEHIGH

VALLEY AND THE SOUTHERN POCONOS (WHICH MAY BE TOO FAR REMOVED FROM

ANY POTENTIAL BANDING) AND THE COAST (WHERE BOUNDARY LAYER WARMING

MAY BE A PROBLEM). THE LATTER CONCERN MAY BE LESS OF THAT IF THE

SURFACE SYSTEM REMAINS FAR ENOUGH OFFSHORE AND THE MIX IS LIMITED TO

THE EVENING (AND BEFORE THE BEST MID LEVEL FORCING).

Wow.....what do ya know.

Mt. Holly:

RIGHT NOW...THE LEAST CONFIDENCE IN THE WATCH IS IN THE LEHIGH

VALLEY AND THE SOUTHERN POCONOS (WHICH MAY BE TOO FAR REMOVED FROM

ANY POTENTIAL BANDING) AND THE COAST (WHERE BOUNDARY LAYER WARMING

MAY BE A PROBLEM). THE LATTER CONCERN MAY BE LESS OF THAT IF THE

SURFACE SYSTEM REMAINS FAR ENOUGH OFFSHORE AND THE MIX IS LIMITED TO

THE EVENING (AND BEFORE THE BEST MID LEVEL FORCING).

w00t!! We get the shaft again!

:axe::axe::axe:

Not complaining (cause I am old enough to remember the awful winters of the 80's), but man, Bucks County/Trenton area (I am sure Ray can agree) really getting shafted these past two years. Last year PHL gets nailed with 78" and I see around 40" and this yeat NYC gets nailed I see far less.

Again, still incredible to be seeing the amount of snow we have seen over the past year, but would love some of these crippling events my way.

Good luck everyone!

Nope. Just a junior in high school with everybody asking if we'll have a snow day or not on Wednesday.

One person said they heard 17". Another said three feet. :arrowhead: People are asking if we're going to have Thursday off too!

Ugh, I should just print my map and tape it to myself. People are going to be disappointed if they're expecting that much.

In NW NJ i complain all the time too, but NE PA really has had a bad time of it. Sorry ladies and gents. I wish for you along with me.

I feel bad for them as well, that being said this is the kind of year it is. How many times have we I am talking I 95 people have been on the wrong side of the rain /snow line? I bet if you average all of those inland runers up they have done much better on average. :P

I feel your pain as well (at least the last 2 years) but at least have had some "fringe" events here in NW part of NJ but have not been close to jackpot area on a big storm in quite some time. I'm thinking 3-6" is about the best we are going to do and once again it is areas east of us that will do the best. The killer just been the insane gradients on these storms which I must admit have been well portrayed in the models the past 2 years and usually end up being fairly accurate. 50 miles in the boxing day storm meant the difference between 2" and 24". No different than last year except the gradient seemed more N/S last year and this year appears more E/W.

In NW NJ i complain all the time too, but NE PA really has had a bad time of it. Sorry ladies and gents. I wish for you along with me.

When was the last time a rain/snow line actually set up in NJ for a storm that delivered 6+" inches of snow to the NW part of the state? I honestly can't recall.

I feel bad for them as well, that being said this is the kind of year it is. How many times have we I am talking I 95 people have been on the wrong side of the rain /snow line? I bet if you average all of those inland runers up they have done much better on average. :P

When was the last time a rain/snow line actually set up in NJ for a storm that delivered 6+" inches of snow to the NW part of the state? I honestly can't recall.

I don't know how old you are or how far back your recollection goes but it is more the rule then the exception. Most years you always here that it will be all snow in the NW suburbs and rain or a mix from I95 east. Any Philly people want to help me out here?

I don't know how old you are or how far back your recollection goes but it is more the rule then the exception. Most years you always here that it will be all snow in the NW suburbs and rain or a mix from I95 east. Any Philly people want to help me out here?

Agreed. Though, i think he might be saying the same thing.

Archived