Newest Member
    northernriwx
PHL 1/7-1/8 Regional Discussion and Obs

Rib

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just a program I purchased...for more info go to www.wxsim.com

It's a personalized localized forecast for your backyard...using the normal models and local real time info from either your weather station or upstream to incorporate advection routines.

Hope that helps

Paul

how accurate would you say it has been since you purchased it?

just a program I purchased...for more info go to www.wxsim.com

It's a personalized localized forecast for your backyard...using the normal models and local real time info from either your weather station or upstream to incorporate advection routines.

Hope that helps

Paul

Looks pretty cool. How long have you been running it? Do you have any statistics (or commentary) on it's accuracy over that time period? I am going to read through how it is fed data when I have some time later today. Intrigued!

Its a radar issue... there's an algorithm that tries to take out ground clutter etc and its overdoing it right now. Its detecting it, but then removing the returns from the output erroneously.

Thanks for the explanation - I noticed that in the radar in Ocean County NJ - steady light snow, not really showing up on radar - cold here at the shore 23F - snow is light as of now but sticking to everything

Very accurate regarding temps...it actually as part of the program has a "self learning" routine that compares actual vs forecast (also generates that report/analysis) and basically learns from its mistakes. It certainly is not better than the NWS at forecasting rain and snow amounts...because it uses the same models (GFS/NAM etc) but it is very good at forecasting temps in my backyard. Plus as it is excellent at start/stop times for precip in my location. Hope that helps!

Looks pretty cool. How long have you been running it? Do you have any statistics (or commentary) on it's accuracy over that time period? I am going to read through how it is fed data when I have some time later today. Intrigued!

It looks like the BWI radar is much better at detecting the snow out here

Snow is once agin moderate here in NW Chesco

Temp up to 21.5...I will measure at 9am

Thanks for the explanation - I noticed that in the radar in Ocean County NJ - steady light snow, not really showing up on radar - cold here at the shore 23F - snow is light as of now but sticking to everything

occasional fits of steadier snow in between a nice light snowfall. Probably about 1/2" now in Royersford. Will probably go out for pictures later.

Steady snow - big flakes. Rare case of observed snowfall being more promising than radar trends. Didn't think much

of what I was seeing an hour ago.

I noticed that line of snow over Harrisburg died out and now stuff is starting to build towards Reading. Hopefully we can squeeze an inch out of that.

agreed. Light snow now, and it appears lifting is occurring over Berks area, which should drift over us during the next six hours. I like 1-2 inches here. Wishing for anything more would be weenie-ism. That's okay though. We have friends coming over tonight, and if we get too much, it'll be cancel city.

Interesting commute this morning to work - left my house in Collegeville at 8am, just started to snow....got to west chester where i work and the snow was coming down good......the best part! I turned to make a left and kept sliding right into a telephone pole, but it gets better, my wheel/tire hit it (no framework damage) and I kept driving like nothing happened...while people stared...now i have a dent in my tire/wheel.

It was WORTH IT!:snowman:

Archived