Newest Member
    Toothache
PHL 1/7-1/8 Regional Discussion and Obs

Rib

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

**WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 7 PM EST FRIDAY**

Looks like they are thinking 2-3 inches for my part of Montco and for Bucks County. Details for MBY...

Tonight

Cloudy...snow...mainly after midnight. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch. Lows in the upper 20s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 90 percent.

Friday

Snow. Snow accumulation around an inch. Highs in the lower 30s. South winds 5 to 10 mph...becoming southwest in the afternoon. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

~2 inches of snow for Spring Mount and 3 for Quakertown. :snowman:

tomorrow's event is going to come down to how fast that squall line forms and where it forms. Most of the models have it developing over or just west of phl.

and where it lingers...if it just books through the entire region, low end will verify for everyone...if it slows down thats where you start to see a dramatic jackpot zone for a small area.

Sigh. Even the NY-PHL metro forum gets split yet again, and most of NJ's population has to make up its mind and pick one or the other. Are we supposed to follow the NWS division between Upton and Mt. Holly? Divide according to the I-95 corridor (as so many storms do)? Choose on the basis of the baseball/football teams? Make our own forecast and throw our lot in with one or the other? Or has a convention evolved already? I'm in Somerset County, but not far from New Brunswick, closer to NYC than Philly, but maybe the inland location should direct me to the Philly thread.

Any hints on how others are choosing their thread?

BGM must be seeing something the models don't. They're going with 3-6" here.

Tonight: Snow, mainly after 2am. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 22. Calm wind becoming south between 4 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Friday: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 32. South wind 5 to 8 mph becoming west. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

PAZ038>040-043-044-047-048-072-072015-

/O.NEW.KBGM.WW.Y.0001.110107T0400Z-110108T0400Z/

BRADFORD-SUSQUEHANNA-NORTHERN WAYNE-WYOMING-LACKAWANNA-LUZERNE-

PIKE-SOUTHERN WAYNE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MONTROSE...TUNKHANNOCK...SCRANTON...

WILKES-BARRE...HAZLETON...MILFORD...HONESDALE

314 PM EST THU JAN 6 2011

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO

11 PM EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS

EVENING TO 11 PM EST FRIDAY.

* LOCATIONS: NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA.

* HAZARDS: SNOW

* ACCUMULATIONS: SNOW TOTALS OF 3 TO 6 INCHES.

* TIMING: LATE TONIGHT INTO FRIDAY AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS: LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW ACCUMULATIONS.

(And I've got just 4 posts left today, so I'm not sure what else to say)

Sigh. Even the NY-PHL metro forum gets split yet again, and most of NJ's population has to make up its mind and pick one or the other. Are we supposed to follow the NWS division between Upton and Mt. Holly? Divide according to the I-95 corridor (as so many storms do)? Choose on the basis of the baseball/football teams? Make our own forecast and throw our lot in with one or the other? Or has a convention evolved already? I'm in Somerset County, but not far from New Brunswick, closer to NYC than Philly, but maybe the inland location should direct me to the Philly thread.

Any hints on how others are choosing their thread?

My recommendation would be to use the Mt Holly/Upton division, but we're obviously not going to enforce which thread you post in.

My recommendation would be to use the Mt Holly/Upton division, but we're obviously not going to enforce which thread you post in.

If there are going to be rules about topics being split up, might as well make more subforums. Maybe we should split it up by county while we're at it.

If there are going to be rules about topics being split up, might as well make more subforums. Maybe we should split it up by county while we're at it.

Really? I actually see this being beneficial and it's not like there is no precedent. The Mid-Atlantic has the DC area and the RIC area, New England has SNE and NNE. I think it ought to increase the signal to noise ratio for folks looking for information specific to them.

Really? I actually see this being beneficial and it's not like there is no precedent. The Mid-Atlantic has the DC area and the RIC area, New England has SNE and NNE. I think it ought to increase the signal to noise ratio for folks looking for information specific to them.

I agree. Now how about a coal region thread??? :P

j/k. I don't see a problem with the split for obs. Of course I'm really not in either region. I just post here since my region is pretty much dead.

I agree and like the division that was created. Big differences with most snow events in the PHL area vs. NYC area. I can also see why central NJ and NE PA people are a little aggravated since they are sandwiched between both locales.

To me, it seemed that the northern Jersey/NYC/Long Island/CT people were sort of a unit bouncing models/obs./pics./stories off each other. They should be seperated into their own area. I think it benefits them as well as us eastern PA, southern 1/2 of NJ and northern DE people.

I like having the NE PA people in our area, heck its only an hour drive north til I hit those area myself.

I'm more of a reader than a poster, but I couldn't agree more. Great idea to break up NYC & Philly, especially for tomorrow's event.

I agree and like the division that was created. Big differences with most snow events in the PHL area vs. NYC area. I can also see why central NJ and NE PA people are a little aggravated since they are sandwiched between both locales.

To me, it seemed that the northern Jersey/NYC/Long Island/CT people were sort of a unit bouncing models/obs./pics./stories off each other. They should be seperated into their own area. I think it benefits them as well as us eastern PA, southern 1/2 of NJ and northern DE people.

I like having the NE PA people in our area, heck its only an hour drive north til I hit those area myself.

Dont forget us NW NJ people often left to fend for ourselves! ;)

I'm more of a reader than a poster, but I couldn't agree more. Great idea to break up NYC & Philly, especially for tomorrow's event.

well now that its very isolated, you should post more. Not many in the philly area post that much. Since now we are soley focused on this area i hope it brings people out.

Archived