e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Inverted Trough/ Redeveloper Disco Jan 7-9

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have just left it in the HWO...and said stay tuned. The 00z NAM is really the only model that supports warning snows there. I would never go nuts over a forecast here if the NAM was the only model showing unless I had reason to believe it such as climo (ala Dec 2008 ice storm)....but climo certainly doesn't favor NYC getting a warning event out of this. All other guidance is trending away from it...I would consider an advisory, but its not that time yet.

But I'm not an NYC snow expert either...I did do a study on NYC heavy snowfall (>6") back in college though. So I kind of know what to look for when talking about warnings there.

Haha, those were very few and far between back then. I remember back in the 80s, the mets always talked about how NYC was a poor location for snowstorms, as the main storm tracks usually were to the north and east (new england) or to the south (carolinas, dc, bwi) and said that NYC fell between the storm tracks and was not likely to get heavy snow like areas to the north, south, west and east were. Back then, they were right.

Haha, those were very few and far between back then. I remember back in the 80s, the mets always talked about how NYC was a poor location for snowstorms, as the main storm tracks usually were to the north and east (new england) or to the south (carolinas, dc, bwi) and said that NYC fell between the storm tracks and was not likely to get heavy snow like areas to the north, south, west and east were. Back then, they were right.

The 1980s sucked for all of us. I experienced the worst snow drought (for 10" snowstorms in ORH) on record between the 1988-1989 and 1991-1992 winters....only time that ORH has ever gone 4 years without a 10" snowstorm.

We were probably lucky to experience those winters...because we can appreciate the current winters much more.

The 1980s sucked for all of us. I experienced the worst snow drought (for 10" snowstorms in ORH) on record between the 1988-1989 and 1991-1992 winters....only time that ORH has ever gone 4 years without a 10" snowstorm.

We were probably lucky to experience those winters...because we can appreciate the current winters much more.

This is true and leaves me dumbfounded when people are depressed over 6 inches of snow now lol.

Just caught up on the many pages of posts from last night. Really an interesting and frustrating forecast. It's great to see WSW intermixed with models of paltry qpf. Mayyhem, I tell ya!

I'm confident in a few inches everywhere (perhaps some just one or two) and some decent accums in some areas. I also suspect that the most memborabe aspect of this will be not the snowfall but the challenge in forecasting it. Let the challenge continue--eager to see 09z srefs.

19.4/13 (actually up from 15.5* at 2;45a.m.)

It's way too low on amt. Way too low

I was also told that as well with my last map for much of CT with my first map for the last storm when I had a large area of 5-9'' for the CT Valley...so then I upped it in my second call...turned out my first map which was "low" would have been pretty darn good.

I was also told that as well with my last map for much of CT with my first map for the last storm when I had a large area of 5-9'' for the CT Valley...so then I upped it in my second call...turned out my first map which was "low" would have been pretty darn good.

Hey do what you want. It's your map and your opinion

After perusing the overnight models it looks like the shift north to include most of SNE has occured..and many of the globals give us all a solid snowfall. I think alot of folks are underestimating this event overall. We'll see

Kevin, I hope you are correct, but this looks like basically a widespread 2-4", maybe 3-5" jobbie.

7.1F attm. Chilly willy!

Hey do what you want. It's your map and your opinion

Just like with the last storm I just get hesitant to forecast big totals unless everything seems just about perfect and there is very little spread within the models. It also doesn't help that I don't have much confidence in myself forecasting wise (for good reasons) and I don't have a great deal of knowledge in how to forecast and taking into account all the factors at hand.

For this particular event I'm worried about forecasting widespread advisory to low-end warning criteria amounts just b/c this seems to be inverted trough or miss...not everyone is going to be lucky enough to get into this and the bands(s) of heavier snowfall may not be all that big...they may cover a relatively small area. Were not dealing with a GREAT deal of QPF here wither and I'm not sure how we will do ratio wise.

I think we may be dealing with a short window as well of where the norlun trough is setup before it begins to weaken.

It's still fairly early and that's just my first call but if the 12z runs today and the 0z runs tonight come in with less spread and are leaning towards a solution suggesting a longer impact from the norlun trough and higher amounts of QPF well then I would certainly up totals but I just want to see more model agreement on this and consistency.

Archived