EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Tracking the Jan 7-9 threat---for those with strong hearts

MDstorm

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stupid question here- was the moisture now in southern ohio now expected? can't imagine it will survive the trip over the mountains, but I thought this trough was supposed to really have precip only to the north.

LWX has been pretty specific on their thinking for the past couple of days. This discussion from early this morning explained their thinking well, especially in terms of the first disturbance setting up the atmosphere for tomorrow morning.

From 3:37 AM discussion.

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH 6 AM FRIDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --THERE WILL BE TWO MORE UPPER DISTURBANCES TO MOVE INTO THE AREA TNGT

INTO FRI MRNG. THE LEADING SHORTWAVE TROUGH WILL MOVE THRU LATE

THIS EVE INTO THE OVERNIGHT HRS. THIS SYSTEM SHOULD BE WEAK AND HAVE

LIMITED MOISTURE TO WORK WITH...ESPECIALLY EAST OF THE ALLEGHENY

FRONT. IT WILL...HOWEVER...HELP SATURATE THE ATMOSPHERE AND BRING

INCREASING CLOUDS TO THE ENTIRE FCST AREA TNGT. 00Z NAM/GFS

DIAGNOSTICS REVEAL SUFFICIENT MID-LVL LIFT FOR LIGHT SNOW TO REACH

THE WRN SLOPES OF THE ALLEGHENY FRONT STARTING THIS EVE.

Then this afternoon's discussion describing tomorrow morning.

MID LEVEL FORCING...ASSOCIATED WITH THE COLD FRONT WILL

ALLOW AREAS OF LIGHT SNOW TO OVERSPREAD THE AREA FROM THE WEST. AS

THE PREFRONTAL PRECIP REACHES EAST OF THE BLUE RIDGE AFTER

MIDNIGHT...MORE ROBUST FORCING AND PERHAPS SLIGHTLY MORE MOISTURE IS

EXPECTED TO ALLOW AT BAND OR TWO OF SNOW TO DEVELOP. WITH LIFT IN

THE DENDRITIC SNOW LAYER...THE LITTLE MOISTURE AVAILABLE MAY BE

MAXIMIZED IN TERMS OF SNOWFALL. THEREFORE...SNOWFALL OF A COUPLE

TENTHS OF AN INCH OVER THE SHENANDOAH VALLEY...MAY INCREASE TO NEAR

HALF AN INCH IN THE EAST OF THE BLUE RIDGE AND ACROSS THE DC METRO

TO SOUTHERN MARYLAND...AND CLOSER TO AN INCH FOR THE GREATER

BALTIMORE METRO AREA.

Personally, I'm shocked that I've got an 80% chance of snow between 1AM and 10AM tomorrow

for up to an inch, but right now I'm in the camp of "that's why they are forecasters

and I'm a dumb putz that looks at models and says, 'Show me the green!'"

Hopefully, I still feel that way tomorrow.

i think we should see some decent snow showers or squalls .. they could be quite hit or miss though. most will get little or nothing i suppose.

Just took a look through my usual list of weenie models that Yoda and I like using (and you like to poopoo during svr season) They seem to like a little band forming from the Potomac northward into PA during the 09z-12z timeframe. Short lived but might put down a coating.

i think we should see some decent snow showers or squalls .. they could be quite hit or miss though. most will get little or nothing i suppose.

Think your right Nothing big but some times your surprised especially when the temps will be falling. I should look and see what the700 mb rhm look like and we can see if there will be any thing to squeeze

Just took a look through my usual list of weenie models that Yoda and I like using (and you like to poopoo during svr season) They seem to like a little band forming from the Potomac northward into PA during the 09z-12z timeframe. Short lived but might put down a coating.

A coating or maybe alttle more than we have gotten yet. And yes I'm pretty much a snow weenie

A coating or maybe alttle more than we have gotten yet. And yes I'm pretty much a snow weenie

My only reasoning on a coating is the short lived and isolated nature of it. I don't really think anybody will see SN+. But I could see moderate snow if a nice squall/shower comes into an area.

Think it could be more than a squall as that low pressure to our south and the squeeze play with the inverted trough and that low takes place. We will see but won't hold my breath

for now you should just dip your keyboard in water

My only reasoning on a coating is the short lived and isolated nature of it. I don't really think anybody will see SN+. But I could see moderate snow if a nice squall/shower comes into an area.

yesterday it looked like a dusting to .5" was a decent bet but the models went dry since.. i think 500/700 support the idea of some potentially intense snow showers. but cold fronts are often dry here so we'll see.

Archived