joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC, Northern NJ, L.I., Connecticut 2010-2011 obs. thread

tmagan

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I've made it through the two day torch with about 4-8" of snow remaining on the ground. Should freeze up nicely tonight, and hopefully some fresh powder on the way for later this week. Pattern certainly will become favorable once again for something of significance w/ a large west based blocking feature retrograding into N-C Canada.

Current snow depth map. East of the MS river, we're basically the only ones with remaining snowpack outside of NNE. :thumbsup: If we have accumulating snow late week, there's a chance we can experience a very long stretch with 1"+ snow on the ground. It's already been 7 days since I've seen grass.

2ja9ac.png

lol no snow to the west or east of us though. I dont think this snowpack will make it through this week without at least a moderate sized event. Craig Allen seemed pretty optimistic about a snowstorm for next weekend. How did the 0z GFS look?

lol no snow to the west or east of us though. I dont think this snowpack will make it through this week without at least a moderate sized event. Craig Allen seemed pretty optimistic about a snowstorm for next weekend. How did the 0z GFS look?

Probably not, but I recall February 2007 we held onto 3" of sleet for about 10-14 days, due to very cold temperatures. Sun angle much higher at that time as well. I wouldn't be surprised, at least for my local area, that we remain snow covered most of this week.

Meanwhile 00z GFS looks like crap, clipper track much too far north.

Probably not, but I recall February 2007 we held onto 3" of sleet for about 10-14 days, due to very cold temperatures. Sun angle much higher at that time as well. I wouldn't be surprised, at least for my local area, that we remain snow covered most of this week.

It's amazing how quickly this area loses snowpack....we only had one day above 50F here but we're down to just a couple of inches with lots of patchy areas. Granted, I only recorded 13" in the December 26th blizzard, but it was shocking how the high dewpoints today and yesterday just blasted away the snowpack after it had held up pretty well with sunny days in the 40s. I think we'll get replenished this weekend, though, I'm pretty much locking in at least a couple inches of snow for Westchester given the multiple opportunities coming with the PV diving in and then the potential for a Miller A in the longer range.

31.6/18

Sleet is also much easier to hold onto-- that winter seemed like we got a lot more snow than we actually did. The March event also stuck around a long time.

It's amazing how quickly this area loses snowpack....we only had one day above 50F here but we're down to just a couple of inches with lots of patchy areas. Granted, I only recorded 13" in the December 26th blizzard, but it was shocking how the high dewpoints today and yesterday just blasted away the snowpack after it had held up pretty well with sunny days in the 40s. I think we'll get replenished this weekend, though, I'm pretty much locking in at least a couple inches of snow for Westchester given the multiple opportunities coming with the PV diving in and then the potential for a Miller A in the longer range.

31.6/18

With the way its looking, January should average under 30 in NYC. Any snowfall should hold on, like it did in Jan 2009.

31.6/18

Yeah we torched a lot more than you did. 57F with sun on Saturday and mid 50s again overnight Saturday.

Still have about 4" on the ground, spots to 12".

32F today.

Got down to 18 here this AM. Still about 2 - 3 " of rock hard snowcover on average. There are also barespots, thinspots and areas where it is 8" as well. But most of the ground is snowcovered and you can walk on top with barely a dent.

We "only" had a foot, but I think it had significant water content ... plenty of graupel during the post Christmas storm.

Archived