joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC, Northern NJ, L.I., Connecticut 2010-2011 obs. thread

tmagan

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temps already plummeting in the suburbs. My area doesn't usually radiate too well, but the snow cover helps out big time. Unfortunately the effect of the UHI is > than the effect of the snow cover in the city. I'm at 28, while 10 miles to my east KNYC is still at 39.

How could they be so warm? I am at 31 and nearby LGA are at 40 lol.

Still a winter wonderland here in Manhattan. Central park is still a mess as are most of the sidewalks and side streets. The pathways in the park have a six inch hard snow/ice pack that will put up a good fight this weekend along with at least 10 inches on the ground. I'm really hoping we get below freezing tonight, and do so as quickly as possible. still at 38.

They didn't. NYC snow depth from the 27th-31th: 20, 18, 16, 14, and 13 inches.

Interesting. When I checked the monthly climate data from nws on the 30th, it had o inches as snow depth. Now that I looked at it again today they have the 14 inches you mentioned. Must have been a typo.

Besides snow piles and some scattered grassy areas and

backyards, snowmpack has diminished here in Astoria.

Some areas do have a few inches but most areas have little.

Did you look around Bayside and Whitestone? We still have a semi decent amount on the ground. Nothing like before obviously but there's still a lot of snow around considering the warm spell we just had.

Did you look around Bayside and Whitestone? We still have a semi decent amount on the ground. Nothing like before obviously but there's still a lot of snow around considering the warm spell we just had.

I was just there. Definitely a little more in that area. Highways basically have nothing left on sides.

At least some of the snowpack survived. Hopefully we can freshen it up end of this week and early next week before we go into a much colder pattern.

Why do you have to get surly with me when I tell you we had about 10 drops of rain here today? Do you think I'm making it up?

TODAY

MAXIMUM 52 124 PM 63 1979 39 13 34

MINIMUM 43 532 AM 7 1968 26 17 17

AVERAGE 48 32 16 26

PRECIPITATION (IN)

TODAY 0.01 1.51 1987 0.13 -0.12 T

MONTH TO DATE 0.01 0.26 -0.25 0.01

SINCE DEC 1 3.89 3.83 0.06 7.14

SINCE JAN 1 0.01 0.26 -0.25 0.01

SNOWFALL (IN)

TODAY 0.0 2.0 1978 0.2 -0.2 T

MONTH TO DATE 0.0 0.4 -0.4 T

SINCE OCT 1 24.5 3.9 20.6 13.3

SINCE JUL 1 24.5 3.9 20.6 13.3

SNOW DEPTH 6

DEGREE DAYS

A whopping 0.01" at EWR!

No. I just don't particularly like you, though I'll concede the assessment is based soley on the content of your posts as we've never met.

It takes a lot for you not to like someone.... youre one of the most patient and even tempered people I know on here. On the same level as Donald Sutherland.

I had a little less snow to lose than you folks down in the NYC area, but my snowpack has taken a huge hit up here. Today, I woke up this morning, to see fog and air temps/dewpoints hovering around 42.. It had probably been that way all night, and had a huge impact on my snow cover..

Oh well.. Back down to 34/28 now.. Here's to a good prolonged cold spell with some decent snow chances over the next few weeks.

Archived