Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Aurora Alert

baltosquid

image.png.25dd98cb6cb76841d8ee8a45a03a5d24.png

big CMEs on the way. Looks like we’ll have varying amounts of cloud cover this weekend, mostly lower tonight but perhaps more layered tomorrow, maybe we can catch some auroras if there are breaks. Tonight seems like the more likely time to see them (late, after midnight), but for such a strong storm and with multiple CMEs approaching in a complex manner, it could be a long run type of event.

• Like 5

Thanks for making the thread! Very interested in seeing the aurora somewhat locally. Became a bucket list item after a few great local chasers caught them in the Blue Ridge last year.

Really bummed by clouds tonight. Hoping for a miracle - don’t want to drive super far north and even then odds don’t look fantastic.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Thanks for making the thread! Very interested in seeing the aurora somewhat locally. Became a bucket list item after a few great local chasers caught them in the Blue Ridge last year.

Really bummed by clouds tonight. Hoping for a miracle - don’t want to drive super far north and even then odds don’t look fantastic.

Looks like low clouds primarily on the backend of the meh weather today. No middle/high. I’m hopeful over the night we’ll get some dissipation and breaks!

54 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

You could think about heading this way. West of Cville is looking okay for early tonight if you trust the 3k NAM. I'm planning to head up to Skyline or the BR Parkway around 9pm.

• Like 1

You could think about heading this way. West of Cville is looking okay for early tonight if you trust the 3k NAM. I'm planning to head up to Skyline or the BR Parkway around 9pm.

Yeah, Cville is my target if I go for it. Gonna keep an eye on it and make a late call. Would be trying to be back in the morning for a Mother’s Day brunch so don’t want to go if it’s gonna be a wash. I was thinking Afton Mountain, maybe.

I am in NE Ohio for my youngest’s college graduation (Wooster - an hour south of Cleveland) and we have mostly clear skies heading into the evening so really definitely fingers crossed we can see something before clouds build in closer to morning. 

• Like 1

Some very impressive pictures from Europe being posted. Overhead aurora throughout Europe 

I’m fuming that it’s cloudy here. If they can see it in Paris, we’d be fine.

Gonna make a last second scramble somewhere around 8pm, if I don’t fall asleep first. Best of luck to everyone!
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I’m fuming that it’s cloudy here. If they can see it in Paris, we’d be fine.

Gonna make a last second scramble somewhere around 8pm, if I don’t fall asleep first. Best of luck to everyone!

I may set an alarm for like 430…

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I’m seeing images in what I feel like are light-pollution heavy parts of Europe (e.g, Prague) that still look pretty good.

Any chance the show is good enough that clouds are the only enemy?

Yea this one is legit.

I’m still in the “stay put” camp… even if it takes until 4am. NAM hints at thinning and maybe breaks past midnight. HRRR takes a bit longer but trended better over the day. I already traveled and caught the lights in Iceland this year, so traveling tonight won’t be as special as getting to see them in Baltimore.

• Like 1

I’m still in the “stay put” camp… even if it takes until 4am. NAM hints at thinning and maybe breaks past midnight. HRRR takes a bit longer but trended better over the day. I already traveled and caught the lights in Iceland this year, so traveling tonight won’t be as special as getting to see them in Baltimore.

Satellite looks a bit better than I thought it would at this point. Think I still drive but maybe I don’t need to go as far.

31 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Satellite looks a bit better than I thought it would at this point. Think I still drive but maybe I don’t need to go as far.

GANIMH5X89l37.jpg.dbd27a094b0c845d87afc415599d5e8f.jpgGANIMH5X89l50.jpg.f25b8b215ee9515fa6261f9e3cf07157.jpg

Low level clouds quickly dissipating outside the overcast. Definitely think it won't take much westward driving to get enough cloud breaks to see things fairly easily, if the auroras make it down here. I might consider that if I can stay within an hour's drive. But I'm still an optimist w/ regards to Baltimore. It's the opposite as the eclipse, where the clouds only had to win once to mess up viewing... with an all-night event seeming like a better and better chance, I just need to get one break...

• Like 1

GANIMH5X89l37.jpg
GANIMH5X89l50.jpg

Low level clouds quickly dissipating outside the overcast. Definitely think it won't take much westward driving to get enough cloud breaks to see things fairly easily, if the auroras make it down here. I might consider that if I can stay within an hour's drive. But I'm still an optimist w/ regards to Baltimore. It's the opposite as the eclipse, where the clouds only had to win once to mess up viewing... with an all-night event seeming like a better and better chance, I just need to get one break...

I convinced my girlfriend to go with me so we’re gonna head to her parents outside the Blue Ridge… think I can risk going a bit south. Can always run north up the parkway if I have to.

Do hope it pans out here.
  • Like 2