• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Aurora Alert

baltosquid

This is from my driveway in northern Silver Spring, looking back towards my backyard at 3:40 am. I didn't notice the pillars in the photo, but it did look purplish, which I thought might just be my phone camera being weird, but it was enough to hop in the car and head for my favorite dark spot in Howard County.

PXL_20240511_074226468.jpg

• Like 4

Occurred to me that there could be a universe where a total solar eclipse reveals aurora. Probably basically impossible, but the timing wasn’t that far off in the grand scheme of things!

Another quick thought - this wouldn’t have been nearly as cool for the general public (and honestly, myself) without the massive widespread availability of exposure and night quality cameras on modern phones. I was thrilled to see the red glow, but soooo much cooler through the pictures. Kinda the opposite of the total solar eclipse where an iPhone gets none of it.
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I feel like the best odds are looking to be to the general SW of the DC area again, though some of the hi-res seem to have breaks. Maybe I’ll try a 3am alarm if things are looking active again.

Thank you for the input! We are going to keep an eye on it. We might head to Reddish Knob, but will adjust accordingly. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the input! We are going to keep an eye on it. We might head to Reddish Knob, but will adjust accordingly. 

Dang, just looked up Reddish Knob. What a cool spot. Will have to visit my sister at JMU next fall and go up there for the foliage… bet that would be killer.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I can’t believe I’m fretting over clouds and checking hourly forecasts just a month after the eclipse. I thought I didn’t have to do this for at least another few years. :lol:

This is absolutely ridiculous we gotta drive for miles and "chase" because the dang clouds choose this weekend not to quit...insane, smh We are hard-pressed to get anything interesting in our back yards anymore!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

You know the weather is trolling when it's clear enough during the day but then it could cloud up just in time for the light show, smh

I’m kinda the opposite. NWS Hourly has cloud cover dropping around 9pm, and G5 is in the SWPC fcst but for midday UTC, so I might try again…

Keep seeing conflicting info about whether tonight or tomorrow night will be better. I guess you just stick your head outside and find out.

I kind of assume tonight won’t be as crazy, if only because I haven’t seen the crazy pics from Europe like yesterday. That was what motivated me to get off my ass

FWIW - HRRR is clearing clouds out by 3am. Might be worth an alarm.

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Keep seeing conflicting info about whether tonight or tomorrow night will be better. I guess you just stick your head outside and find out.

I kind of assume tonight won’t be as crazy, if only because I haven’t seen the crazy pics from Europe like yesterday. That was what motivated me to get off my ass

FWIW - HRRR is clearing clouds out by 3am. Might be worth an alarm.

CME modeling has impacts at around 8-9pm and again at 1-2am, my read is see how the first hit affects things. If it fizzles, getting some much needed rest. If we get juiced up again, I’ll stick around…

• Like 1

Is there a good site to see modeled future cloud cover so we can head to the areas likely to clear later tonight.

Pivotal has cloud cover modeling as a map for most of the models. I just peek at the HRRR usually and hope it has a clue. Think people also like the hi-res Canadian.
  • Like 1