• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
May 2024 General Discussion

3 hours ago, Brian D said:

Very nice day with most of the smoke gone, but temps only peaking around 60 today. Frost advisory out again across NE MN into N WI. A chilly night on tap.

Smoke cleared here by early afternoon, and it was a cool breezy day with north winds.  Only managed 51 for the high and already down to 43 this evening.  Point has 33 for the low with some upper 20's in the interior cool spots.  I don't believe MQT is issuing frost/freeze products just yet.  Cool again tomorrow in the low-50's with another chilly night in the low 30's Tuesday.  Could use some rain.

• Like 3

See this quite a bit in May, and June. Cooler by the Lake. Breezy NE winds will keep temps in the 50's, while away from the Lake will be much more pleasant. Temps this morning running in the upper 20's-mid 30's. Actually at freeze levels at a few sites under the frost advisory this morning.

May 14 chill by the lake.gif

1 hour ago, Brian D said:

See this quite a bit in May, and June. Cooler by the Lake. Breezy NE winds will keep temps in the 50's, while away from the Lake will be much more pleasant. Temps this morning running in the upper 20's-mid 30's. Actually at freeze levels at a few sites under the frost advisory this morning.

May 14 chill by the lake.gif

Cool day here as well. 48 at 1 pm. Had frost to scrape on my truck this morning and saw some on the roof of the house as well but none on the ground. On more chilly night before things rebound into the 40’s at night. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Cool day here as well. 48 at 1 pm. Had frost to scrape on my truck this morning and saw some on the roof of the house as well but none on the ground. On more chilly night before things rebound into the 40’s at night. 

Looks like some precip chances moving through here starting Thurs, but this time of year, the drier air off the Lake likes to eat precip. Unless there is a strong W or S flow, or during the overnight when the inland, and Lake air balance out some.

• Like 1

I forgot where I saw it but someone mentioned some smoke in the air recently. On the evening of the 11th, there was a lot of smoke here. Sorry I am so late in getting this out. Finally was able to download the card.

8G3A3510.thumb.JPG.c87499c112c43e2cb1c017b54d4bcbd9.JPG

• Like 3

1.65" overnight in Huntington. I was just checking CoCoRaHS reports around the state and amounts vary wildly, ranging from under two tenths to over 3.5". 

For example, two stations less than 15 miles from here: Columbia City 0.2 NE - 0.26" and Fort Wayne 1.9 SSW - 0.31".

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Low of 31 this morning, cold spot again is Baraga Plains at 22.  One more night in the 30's then a bit of unsettled weather and milder. Of the 15 days this month, 10 have been in the 30's at night, the coolest being this morning and the warmest 45 on the 7th.  Should be able to start planting in 2 weeks.

Planting in town can happen anytime soon, although it tends to stay cooler during the day, so growth is slowed. But away from the Lake is a big gamble this time of month. Folks that have bigger gardens, tend to have greenhouses to get stuff started. General rule is to plant after Memorial Day for us in the N areas of the sub. When warmer, more humid conditions set in (especially during the overnight), everything just takes off. I don't do veggies, just flowers, and I get a couple flats of annuals every year from my local greenhouse to mix in with the perennials. Sometimes I'll get a couple hanging baskets of Wave Petunias. Chunk of money for flowers, but it makes things look nice.

Looks like 30-35 across interior NE MN with 40-45 nearer the Lake this morning. Expecting 0.5-1.0" of rain starting tonight into tomorrow. That will be welcome. :) 

10 hours ago, Brian D said:

Planting in town can happen anytime soon, although it tends to stay cooler during the day, so growth is slowed. But away from the Lake is a big gamble this time of month. Folks that have bigger gardens, tend to have greenhouses to get stuff started. General rule is to plant after Memorial Day for us in the N areas of the sub. When warmer, more humid conditions set in (especially during the overnight), everything just takes off. I don't do veggies, just flowers, and I get a couple flats of annuals every year from my local greenhouse to mix in with the perennials. Sometimes I'll get a couple hanging baskets of Wave Petunias. Chunk of money for flowers, but it makes things look nice.

Looks like 30-35 across interior NE MN with 40-45 nearer the Lake this morning. Expecting 0.5-1.0" of rain starting tonight into tomorrow. That will be welcome. :) 

I do mostly veggies but also do a few flowers on the porch and deck.  The deer are not shy and will walk right up to the front door, so I don't spend too much on flowers, my garden is more protected.
I've learned the hard way to not plant anything outside before June here.  I have however already planted potatoes, but I do them in buckets and they haven't sprouted yet and can easily bring them in if need be.  I'm close enough to the lake for the cooling but also far enough away to experience the chillier temps at night... will eventually plant peppers, toms, cucs, some zucchini, broccoli (does well here) and some herbs as well.  Growing wild on my property are raspberries and blueberries, which surprisingly are very sweet and plentiful.  Gotta fight the deer for the raspberries tho.  Anyway, short growing season here in the north so gotta make the most of it.

Cool again tonight with a low around 37 but a warming trend follows.  Would like to be more excited about rain chances, but it doesn't look very promising.  It's pretty surface dry... 49 degrees at 8:30.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Been a baller spring thus far. 

This might just be the nicest spring I've ever experienced in my lifetime. Springs around these parts tend to not be very pleasant, but this one has been an exception for sure.

On 5/14/2024 at 9:16 PM, bowtie` said:

WooHoo! 1.04" since noon here. and some yellows and orange are still parked overhead. Hoping for 1.25"+. Need every drop so far.

14 hours ago, IWXwx said:

1.65" overnight in Huntington. I was just checking CoCoRaHS reports around the state and amounts vary wildly, ranging from under two tenths to over 3.5". 

For example, two stations less than 15 miles from here: Columbia City 0.2 NE - 0.26" and Fort Wayne 1.9 SSW - 0.31".

I need to re-think hoping for a little more rain. In the 24 hour span from noon Tuesday to noon Wednesday, I had 3.52" in my tippy bucket. It might be a touch high according to the radar estimates out of KIND, but it is in the ball-park. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rainsucks said:

This might just be the nicest spring I've ever experienced in my lifetime. Springs around these parts tend to not be very pleasant, but this one has been an exception for sure.

I got so used to the suddenly slam from upper 50's to upper 80's that I forgot what a nice extended spring feels like. Couldn't draw it up better by my definition, mid 70's for days on end with rain chances every other day or so. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rainsucks said:

Not bad, but 2012 saw a much warmer spring in most locations. Data below are for the period 3/1 to 5/15. Second warmest in most places in the southern parts of the subforum [1977 was warmer at ORD & DSM], but not as warm in the north. Only 12th mildest at MSP.

MKE

image.png.4ee80339683a6b7bceaec934adffe5af.png

ORD

image.png.75892f19d71f23a412487a3fcb92b474.png

DSM

image.png.5467627cacc54173dcd1cf29546353cb.png

DTW

image.png.b6fe807e0438fc47da9812477d7cbfe4.png

TOL

image.png.94cd6d4b616d0c4773a28001ccdc94e8.png

IND

image.png.ea72a8d8b232ebfe1627052ba5158561.png

CMH

image.png.9cf4117319112c62182de75a2dc749bf.png

CLE

image.png.82a5cfc0ad24d2377159a354ea83b7b1.png

MSP

image.png.870443a10d67086b75337396c6f94c50.png

3 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Not bad, but 2012 saw a much warmer spring in most locations. Data below are for the period 3/1 to 5/15. Second warmest in most places in the southern parts of the subforum [1977 was warmer at ORD & DSM], but not as warm in the north. Only 12th mildest at MSP.

MKE

image.png.4ee80339683a6b7bceaec934adffe5af.png

ORD

image.png.75892f19d71f23a412487a3fcb92b474.png

DSM

image.png.5467627cacc54173dcd1cf29546353cb.png

DTW

image.png.b6fe807e0438fc47da9812477d7cbfe4.png

TOL

image.png.94cd6d4b616d0c4773a28001ccdc94e8.png

IND

image.png.ea72a8d8b232ebfe1627052ba5158561.png

CMH

image.png.9cf4117319112c62182de75a2dc749bf.png

CLE

image.png.82a5cfc0ad24d2377159a354ea83b7b1.png

MSP

image.png.870443a10d67086b75337396c6f94c50.png

I get that 2012 was technically warmer due to the freak March heatwave, but as a whole, I actually prefer this spring over 2012 in my area specifically.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rainsucks said:

I get that 2012 was technically warmer due to the freak March heatwave, but as a whole, I actually prefer this spring over 2012 in my area specifically.

2012 sucked. Too stupid hot for March and even early April; but also bone dry which set us up for the drought that summer...and despite all that early season warmth there was no severe weather to go with it. When we got 80s into Wisconsin in March I fully expected an abundance of Rochelle, Winterset or Keota type setups (although we were years prior to knowing what those were)...instead it was just straight :sleepy:.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rainsucks said:

That's because this stretch that we're in also had the great record breaking February, something 2012 fell short on (In comparison).

So in other words, 2024 February thru Mid-May has had better consistency and longevity in terms of mild/warm temps and nice weather.

• Like 1