• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central Pa. Spring 2024

5 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

Sandy wasn't bad out here at all. Anything that is going to be bad wind wise is going to have to be a cat 4 hurricane flying through the Carolinas or into the tidewater at 40 to 50 mph. Would really haven't had that happen since hurricane Carol back in the 1950s

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

You are right for me: No big coastal winds are going to reach here in Williamsport. But others in PA are much further east and could get some leftovers that are pretty strong. I am not afraid of a second round of Sandy. The way above average heat already predicted for July and August and the rains possibly coming our way this summer and maybe not just once would be my concerns. Plus we can get indirectly affected by what goes on in other places. We were last summer with Canadian smoke. 

I guess I just don't like anything interfering with my vision of Williamsport as a place of no extremes, weather or otherwise. 

5 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

Sandy wasn't bad out here at all. Anything that is going to be bad wind wise is going to have to be a cat 4 hurricane flying through the Carolinas or into the tidewater at 40 to 50 mph. Would really haven't had that happen since hurricane Carol back in the 1950s

Da fuck? Sandy tore off all my facia and had water pouring through my windows. I had s $9,000 insurance damage because Sandy. 

Da fuck? Sandy tore off all my facia and had water pouring through my windows. I had s $9,000 insurance damage because Sandy. 
On our whole street the worst damage was part of one old tree coming down hitting nothing. A few branches here and there but no different from a thunderstorm. Never lost power, hell, never lost satellite TV, I had back then. No roof damage to anyone on street or who I knew.

Giant gaseous ball of flame in the sky, daddy, made my ride into State College this morning difficult, even with the shades. No freeze for the second straight morning and it's currently 40°F around these here parts. Shaping up to be a Chamber of Commerce day.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I'll be sneaking in a mow today for sure.  Low of 34 here.  Looks like MDT only dropped to 40.  Speaking of MDT, looking into my crystal ball, I have the month ending with a mean temp of 55.2, which would by +2.1 AN and good for 17th place all-time.  Book it.

Thought I would throw up the numbers as April is not a month that has been dominated by this century...like so many other data points and charts. Only 7 of the top 20.   Still a decent chunk but used to seeing closer to 12-15 of the top 20. 

image.thumb.png.cc824d62198334f2fb6d1e19ff91de78.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, canderson said:

Yeah, open areas and high elevations had problems. Tamaqua, however, sits in a protected, upside down, V shaped valley. 

From my house, I could hear the non-stop roar of the wind on the hilltops surrounding the borough. Yet, even though there was widespread damage and power failures all around us, we came through virtually unscathed. 

There was very little damage in the borough proper, and while the power flickered a few times, the lights stayed on during the entire event.

Even standing outside, there were few wind gusts, let alone sustained high velocity wind. It was more like a normal, breezy, post FROPA day/night, as opposed to a post tropical hurricane. 

Mesos's except the Rgem have a wet highs in the 40's day tomorrow. Get the mowers out today.   #noshortssaturday.  MDT's AN departures is down to 1.6 with more to drop before bouncing back up again the last 3 days of the month. 
My forecast is for cloudy skies with a 30% chance of a few showers later in the day high 59 with a low of 51

I received 3.42" of rain from Sandy. My station in no way is able to record wind speeds accurately but I do know for certain that we had hours of 50mph+ winds. I had to take many detours the following morning to work, trying to find a road that wasn't closed due to downed trees and power lines. WAY more than a thunderstorm here. 

The main difference between Sandy and a thunderstorm was the duration of wind - sustained 40+ with gusts near 60 for several hours. 

1 hour ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I'll be sneaking in a mow today for sure.  Low of 34 here.  Looks like MDT only dropped to 40.  Speaking of MDT, looking into my crystal ball, I have the month ending with a mean temp of 55.2, which would by +2.1 AN and good for 17th place all-time.  Book it.

Mow #8 coming in 6 hours. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I received 3.42" of rain from Sandy. My station in no way is able to record wind speeds accurately but I do know for certain that we had hours of 50mph+ winds. I had to take many detours the following morning to work, trying to find a road that wasn't closed due to downed trees and power lines. WAY more than a thunderstorm here. 

The main difference between Sandy and a thunderstorm was the duration of wind - sustained 40+ with gusts near 60 for several hours. 

Here is what I have in my notes from back then....

Hurricane Sandy, worst storm to ever hit Jersey coast & NYC, 80-100mph winds, tons of flooding.  We got only 3-6" of rain & 50-60mph gusts. Lancaster set record low pressure of ~960 mb as eye passed right over.  Lowest pressure ever recorded for a North Atlantic storm.  Storm dumped multiple feet of snow from NC mountains through Laurels.
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Here is what I have in my notes from back then....

Hurricane Sandy, worst storm to ever hit Jersey coast & NYC, 80-100mph winds, tons of flooding.  We got only 3-6" of rain & 50-60mph gusts. Lancaster set record low pressure of ~960 mb as eye passed right over.  Lowest pressure ever recorded for a North Atlantic storm.  Storm dumped multiple feet of snow from NC mountains through Laurels.

That kinda sorta exactly matches what I said...

:) 

• Like 1

Below is an analysis of the average temperature by decade here in Chester County for the months March - April and May since the 1890's. The average temperature over these 132 years of records is 51.5 degrees. So far in the 2020's we are running about 0.5 degrees above the average. The 1940's were not surprisingly the warmest decade.

image.thumb.png.00d5b2e0773f777f3f0546d0cba0de39.png

• Weenie 1

Ryan Hall had to start his YouTube live stream hours earlier as a large tornado is on the ground near Elba, NE, and one close to Malone, TX.

Me thinks this may be a red letter day.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk