Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024

TriPol

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

hopefully we get rid of this in March so we go to very warm and dry in April like the last two years .

Looks like plenty of clouds and rain to go along with the warmer temperatures. We have a strong blocking signal getting met by an overpowering warm Pacific MJO signal. So flooding could eventually become a concern again like we saw before we dried out in February. Could also be more beach erosion with so much high pressure east of New England with easterly flow and lows undercutting. It’s very hard to do warm and dry in a transition month like March with so much volatility. That 80° warmth with dry conditions in early March 2016 after that super El Niño was a real rarity. Our warmest days this March through the first 10 days will probably be 50s and 60s. Maybe someone in the interior away from the marine influence can make a run on 70°.  

Data for March 10, 2016 through March 11, 2016
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
State
Name
Station Type
Highest Max Temperature 
NJ CANOE BROOK COOP 82
NJ NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 81
NJ TETERBORO AIRPORT WBAN 81
NJ TETERBORO AIRPORT COOP 81
NJ HARRISON COOP 80
NY SHRUB OAK COOP 80
NY YORKTOWN HEIGHTS 1W COOP 80
NY PORT JERVIS COOP 79
NY NY CITY CENTRAL PARK WBAN 79
NJ CALDWELL ESSEX COUNTY AP WBAN 79
NJ CHARLOTTEBURG RESERVOIR COOP 79
NY WEST POINT COOP 79
NY MOUNT SINAI COOP 79
NY LAGUARDIA AIRPORT WBAN 78
CT SAUGATUCK RESERVOIR COOP 78
CT STAMFORD 5 N COOP 77
NY WESTCHESTER CO AP WBAN 77
NY BAITING HOLLOW COOP 77
NY CENTERPORT COOP 76
NY CARMEL 4N COOP 76
NY SETAUKET STRONG COOP 76
CT MERIDEN MARKHAM MUNICIPAL AP WBAN 75
CT PUTNAM LAKE COOP 75
CT NORWICH PUBLIC UTILITY PLANT COOP 75
NY RIVERHEAD RESEARCH FARM COOP 75
NY UPTON COOP - NWSFO NEW YORK COOP 75
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Looks like plenty of clouds and rain to go along with the warmer temperatures. We have a strong blocking signal getting met by an overpowering warm Pacific MJO signal. So flooding could eventually become a concern again like we saw before we dried out in February. Could also be more beach erosion with so much high pressure east of New England with easterly flow and lows undercutting. It’s very hard to do warm and dry in a transition month like March with so much volatility. That 80° warmth with dry conditions in early March 2016 after that super El Niño was a real rarity. Our warmest days this March through the first 10 days will probably be 50s and 60s. Maybe someone in the interior away from the marine influence can make a run on 70°.  

Data for March 10, 2016 through March 11, 2016
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
State
Name
Station Type
Highest Max Temperature 
NJ CANOE BROOK COOP 82
NJ NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 81
NJ TETERBORO AIRPORT WBAN 81
NJ TETERBORO AIRPORT COOP 81
NJ HARRISON COOP 80
NY SHRUB OAK COOP 80
NY YORKTOWN HEIGHTS 1W COOP 80
NY PORT JERVIS COOP 79
NY NY CITY CENTRAL PARK WBAN 79
NJ CALDWELL ESSEX COUNTY AP WBAN 79
NJ CHARLOTTEBURG RESERVOIR COOP 79
NY WEST POINT COOP 79
NY MOUNT SINAI COOP 79
NY LAGUARDIA AIRPORT WBAN 78
CT SAUGATUCK RESERVOIR COOP 78
CT STAMFORD 5 N COOP 77
NY WESTCHESTER CO AP WBAN 77
NY BAITING HOLLOW COOP 77
NY CENTERPORT COOP 76
NY CARMEL 4N COOP 76
NY SETAUKET STRONG COOP 76
CT MERIDEN MARKHAM MUNICIPAL AP WBAN 75
CT PUTNAM LAKE COOP 75
CT NORWICH PUBLIC UTILITY PLANT COOP 75
NY RIVERHEAD RESEARCH FARM COOP 75
NY UPTON COOP - NWSFO NEW YORK COOP 75

Was that the year JFK had 42 days with a dew point of 70+ Chris? Breaking the record of the super hot and humid summer of 1983?

6 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

1990 was unbelievable because it came right after one of our coldest Decembers EVER and didn't both January and February average close to 40 Don?

January had a mean temperature of 41.4°. February had a mean temperature of 39.7°. Only 1998 (January: 40.0°; February: 40.6°) and 2023 (January: 43.5°; February: 41.1°) saw both January and February wind up with mean temperatures of 40.0° or above. No winter has seen all three months have 40.0° or above mean temperatures in New York City. Winter 2001-2002 came closest: December: 44.1°; January: 39.9°; February: 40.6°.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Fresh cold air said:

I finally was able to register here lol!  Just have a passion for winter weather.  Also love studying weather records.  Found a great site called extreme weather watch.  You can literally look up any single date in any month of any year back to 1869.  You can see the high and low, the daily precip, and the snowfall for the date.  Its in such an easy to read format too.  I discovered it the other day and have become obsessed with it lol.  I have been doing NYC central park.  Found a stretch of 4 straight below zero nights at the park in the 1917-1918 winter.  Interestingly though, the summers seemed more extreme with heat way back as well.  Check out the june,july,aug period for 1966.  Of the 90+ days, just ten days managed to crack 80 for a high.  Yuck lol!  Check it out....you will become addicted fast!

Started following the weather in 1982. It was the April blizzard that got me started.  I really started becoming into weather when walking home from junior high school on Jan 22nd 1987.  That really did it for me.  Was supposed to change to rain but we got about 9 inches before it ended as drizzle.  Low 30s the entire storm.  Another more powdery storm shot up from the smokey mountains 3 days later superbowl night dumping another 6 inches or so.  Anyway, I was on the accuweather forums back in the day and even 33 and rain which became more complicated for me with the new format lol.  I prefer this simplified format.  Still have discord but my account always kept coming up in turkish no matter what so I gave up for the moment.  Well, looking forward to reading all of the great posts and adding when I can.  I lurked as a guest here for years.  

Welcome!

12 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

January had a mean temperature of 41.4°. February had a mean temperature of 39.7°. Only 1998 (January: 40.0°; February: 40.6°) and 2023 (January: 43.5°; February: 41.1°) saw both January and February wind up with mean temperatures of 40.0° or above. No winter has seen all three months have 40.0° or above mean temperatures in New York City. Winter 2001-2002 came closest: December: 44.1°; January: 39.9°; February: 40.6°.

I find that 39.9 really annoying lol, maybe NYC undermeasures on temperatures too? Did LGA and JFK both average 40.0 or higher for all three months, Don?

• Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, Fresh cold air said:

I noticed you have been into weather record data like me.  You would love extremeweatherwatch.com.  Any date of any year from 1869 onward.  If you wanted to see the weather for jan 12th 1962, you can see the high and low for the day along with snowfall/precip. Wild stuff!

Thanks, I'll take a look! I'm also into older historical data from the 1700s and 1800s because the weather was more extreme back then

20 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

1989-1990 was one of our most extremely weird seasons, beginning in with those nationwide severe weather outbreaks in October.

What made that season so severe-- it was neutral-- so why all the extremes and turbulent weather from October through April, Don?

Severe weather to early leaf drop to very cold and snowy November and then historically cold and dry December to historically warm January, February and March to early April snow?

I believe it was even more extreme that season than anything we've seen since maybe 2015-16?

Just now, Fresh cold air said:

I was looking at March 1982 and it was a dud for snow at the park.  Just 0.7 inches.  And the temperatures started chilly but lots of 50s for highs and even a 60 in there.  We all know what happened in April 1982.  Ya never know lol!

But January 1982 had a big snowstorm so the cold and snow had already paid us a visit.

21 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I find that 39.9 really annoying lol, maybe NYC undermeasures on temperatures too? Did LGA and JFK both average 40.0 or higher for all three months, Don?

The equipment is automated. No human measurements are needed. The trees aren't an issue during the winter. LaGuardia Airport had 40.0° or above averages for all three months.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

1989-1990 was one of our most extremely weird seasons, beginning in with those nationwide severe weather outbreaks in October.

What made that season so severe-- it was neutral-- so why all the extremes and turbulent weather from October through April, Don?

Severe weather to early leaf drop to very cold and snowy November and then historically cold and dry December to historically warm January, February and March to early April snow?

I believe it was even more extreme that season than anything we've seen since maybe 2015-16?

Neutral ENSO winters can provide a range of extremes. Many factors are involved in shaping the winter outcomes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, donsutherland1 said:

The equipment is automated. No human measurements are needed. The trees aren't an issue during the winter. LaGuardia Airport had 40.0° or above averages for all three months.

Maybe one day we can automate snowfall measurements? We could use a laser light system to automatically measure the maximum depth of snowfall at any point during a storm.

4 minutes ago, Fresh cold air said:

Jan 1982 featured some very bitter cold outbreaks and some moderate snowfall. About a 10 inch storm mid month but feb/march featured consistent mild temps.  Looks like there was only 1 daytime high that stayed below freezing in both months combined.  Almost like a 1989-90 winter except a month forward. 89-90 did give one last arctic blast in march giving it a bookend winter label but a much weaker bookend in march.

1 inch snow in early April 1990 too

11 minutes ago, Fresh cold air said:

It did but there was close to nothing in feb/march.   1.1 inches combined so I am sure most folks figured that was it.  1996 and 2003 had some decent April snow but it wasnt surprising because those were both legendary winters.

2018 too March through early April was amazing.

13 minutes ago, Fresh cold air said:

Do you remember dec 1989 well?  Let me tell you, it was one for the ages temp wise but again an example of a bitter cold month not producing much snow.  The little we got was from arctic fronts constantly reinforcing the arctic air aleady in place keeping it fresh lol

It was annoying because DC got a lot more snow than us, like the previous February when Atlantic City had a 19 inch snowstorm and 0 here.

1 hour ago, Fresh cold air said:

I finally was able to register here lol!  Just have a passion for winter weather.  Also love studying weather records.  Found a great site called extreme weather watch.  You can literally look up any single date in any month of any year back to 1869.  You can see the high and low, the daily precip, and the snowfall for the date.  Its in such an easy to read format too.  I discovered it the other day and have become obsessed with it lol.  I have been doing NYC central park.  Found a stretch of 4 straight below zero nights at the park in the 1917-1918 winter.  Interestingly though, the summers seemed more extreme with heat way back as well.  Check out the june,july,aug period for 1966.  Of the 90+ days, just ten days managed to crack 80 for a high.  Yuck lol!  Check it out....you will become addicted fast!

Started following the weather in 1982. It was the April blizzard that got me started.  I really started becoming into weather when walking home from junior high school on Jan 22nd 1987.  That really did it for me.  Was supposed to change to rain but we got about 9 inches before it ended as drizzle.  Low 30s the entire storm.  Another more powdery storm shot up from the smokey mountains 3 days later superbowl night dumping another 6 inches or so.  Anyway, I was on the accuweather forums back in the day and even 33 and rain which became more complicated for me with the new format lol.  I prefer this simplified format.  Still have discord but my account always kept coming up in turkish no matter what so I gave up for the moment.  Well, looking forward to reading all of the great posts and adding when I can.  I lurked as a guest here for years.  

Man are you on the wrong forum? This group hates cold and snow! haha Welcome

I noticed you have been into weather record data like me.  You would love extremeweatherwatch.com.  Any date of any year from 1869 onward.  If you wanted to see the weather for jan 12th 1962, you can see the high and low for the day along with snowfall/precip. Wild stuff!

How often is extremeweatherwatch.com updated? There were dozens of monthly records set in North America during the last few days, including 15.7C at Ottawa yesterday.

Dec 1989 was so bitter which makes suppression a potential issue.  We were supposed to get a decent snowstorm mid month and it busted.  Became a rainstorm.  I think it actually snowed in manhattan for a bit but brooklyn had a few flakes and right to rain.  All that arctic air was scoured out in a flash.

Savannah GA and Charleston SC had a white xmas that year-the storm track was that far south

1 minute ago, Fresh cold air said:

I just checked and it is updated for nyc through feb 26th.  Did you check out the site?  If so, what do you think of it?  I love the simplified chart format and its even color coded too.  Really more like a simple day by day list.

It’s a great site. It’s easy to use with a lot of information. 

3 hours ago, Fresh cold air said:

Dec 1989 was so bitter which makes suppression a potential issue.  We were supposed to get a decent snowstorm mid month and it busted.  Became a rainstorm.  I think it actually snowed in manhattan for a bit but brooklyn had a few flakes and right to rain.  All that arctic air was scoured out in a flash.

what caused this huge bust I wonder and could it happen like that again if that storm happened in this era?

I remember hearing thunder and seeing lightning and seeing heavy rain and then I knew we were done lol

The complete reverse bust of February 1989

We actually had a bust like that again in January 2008.

I just checked and it is updated for nyc through feb 26th.  Did you check out the site?  If so, what do you think of it?  I love the simplified chart format and its even color coded too.  Really more like a simple day by day list.

is there a way to download the data onto a spreadsheet and keep it updated without visiting the site using a program that downloads the data directly?

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

what caused this huge bust I wonder and could it happen like that again if that storm happened in this era?

I remember hearing thunder and seeing lightning and seeing heavy rain and then I knew we were done lol

The complete reverse bust of February 1989

We actually had a bust like that again in January 2008.

I believe the secondary low formed too close to the coast and winds switched to the east southeast and before you know it we went from 28 and snow to 40 and rain

I know @SnowGoose69 has a better explanation 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

I believe the secondary low formed too close to the coast and winds switched to the east southeast and before you know it we went from 28 and snow to 40 and rain

I know @SnowGoose69 has a better explanation 

So amazing, even though it was really bad.  I guess it could happen again since it also seems to have happened in January 2008 lol