Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late Feb/March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Something that's been bothering me though the last few days...the EPS wants to retrograde the NAO ridge very quickly and it ends up centered pretty far south in Canada...that used to work, but in recent years when that happens it's just been linking up with the mid latitude ridges which neutralizes the suppressive benefits of the -NAO.  Just something to look out for here.  On top of the fact its going to be late March by the time cold makes its way east.  

Maybe we can manage a miserable cold, wet Easter.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, stormy said:

I agree, If this verifies as presented, reposition that 1029 HP sw to Ontario as 1036 and things could work out.

image.thumb.png.6dc1197dc42fea5eafc3ddbef8eee013.png

Yeah and while we are at it let’s create a 1040 over Michigan and a 985 over the outer banks. As long as we are just making up shit

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Yeah and while we are at it let’s create a 1040 over Michigan and a 985 over the outer banks. As long as we are just making up shit

That 1040 over Michigan would be ok with a 977 over Norfolk

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

well it has a -NAO, MONSTER 50/50, perfect pacific, central pac trough, PNA ridge... just don't look at the temps TORCH lol  

#itjustdoesntmatter 

we just need time to cool the source regions like we did in Late December/early January. Be patient! March 21st is 22 days away!

6 minutes ago, Ji said:

we just need time to cool the source regions like we did in Late December/early January. Be patient! March 21st is 22 days away!

That run takes us through March 15.  And the whole continent is still torched...it took 2 weeks to fix that problem in mid winter...what is your timeline here?  

Head to the Sierra.... (CNN)

Snowfall rates are expected to reach extreme levels of 3 to 5 inches an hour from Friday through Saturday – especially along the Sierra Nevada.

The prolonged extreme snowfall means 6 to 10 feet of snow could bury parts of the Sierra in just a matter of two to three days.

1 minute ago, Ji said:

then wtf are we doing here?

We used to think the same thing about the poor schmucks in NC or SC that would track patterns and we knew even if everything went perfect it probably still wasn’t going to snow there. We’re those schmucks now. 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 2

39 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

We used to think the same thing about the poor schmucks in NC or SC that would track patterns and we knew even if everything went perfect it probably still wasn’t going to snow there. We’re those schmucks now. 

but those schmucks got excited for zr or ip....like we do for snow

• Thanks 1

Chris 78 posted a possibility earlier today that I agreed with and posted about.

Guess What??  The 18z GFS is more bullish!....................................................................

image.thumb.png.920a650af014c63a7b48958f7fd6cfac.png

It’s 
IMG_1744.thumb.png.b9172509b79702091a85762e47165a16.png
not 
IMG_1745.thumb.png.e635ff04701b4a235bb1a0b66a30fba4.png
even
IMG_1746.thumb.png.31eec4505191bf0ac2e3fc36e3c5d124.png
close 
but it has an absolutely perfect long wave pattern with a -nao and +pna which helps us get a 45* rainstorm instead of a 55* one!  

Aifs obviously has a warm bias. It will “learn”

@brooklynwx99 @Ji  @Terpeast

This is an even better example of what I was talking about yesterday. 
IMG_1748.thumb.png.0c3c193d2f897521edf2b6c5bf98aaa3.png

This is before Ji’s “it has to be snow” wave. The ridging in front is the problem, ignoring the freaking crazy 50/50. But I get it there is a horrible air mass in front. So I’ll let that one go…

Bit focus on the pacific and west coast progression here on this loop. That next wave should progress east.  Look at the long wave pattern. That Ji wave is being absorbed into the 50/50 about to strengthen that.  There is a perfect pac longewave configuration. 
IMG_1758.thumb.gif.164c071a996a7ae3d81f67103fa0f32f.gif

But look what happened. Everything else in the pac progresses. The trough and ridge behind the wave move east. But the wave doesn’t. It’s dogging down and cutting off in the west and look it’s pumping another ridge ahead of it that’s going to link with the west based block and…we know the end. 

@brooklynwx99yesterday I showed this same thing on a gfs run and you said we just had to give it time and wait for the next wave to progress east but that was just an illusion because the run ended there. The next wave isn’t going to progress east either. The wavelengths in the west just adjust, broaden it shorten, as the waves amplify and get stuck in the west. 

I’m not interested in arguments if it’s happening. I’ve seen this time and again lately. I am interested in hypothesizing WHY that’s happening.  The wavelengths to the west of these waves out west do not always support them digging into the west. But even when the pac pattern SHOULD kick the waves east the flow just compresses. 

My theory is that it’s not just the pac. That there is also downstream resistance in the flow. Maybe from the warmer than normal gulf and Atlantic. Also if the waves are coming in off the pacific more juiced up they could be amplifying sooner which could cause them to want to cut off in the mountain west due to feedback. 

I don’t KNOW. I’m just thinking wave physics and trying to figure out why something that shouldn’t based on the upstream wavelengths keeps happening.  What’s weird to me is that no one else is talking about this. Just accepting it with no discussion of WHY!  

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic