Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024

wdrag

29 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

South of us too! DC and Baltimore are around average snowfall for this time of year and have a legit shot at reaching. It's Philly, CPK and oddly Boston in this year snow hole.

Even with poor measurement, CPK has more snowfall than the entirety of 97/98. They can still see a couple more inches before things fall apart around the 24th.

if you look nationwide almost every station is below or well below average snowfall for the date....amazing bad on a national level.

47 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Don’t know what the exact weather is going to be on March 6th, but we could be talking about 60° readings near the beginning of March. Especially if we go toward that La Niña look of deep trough out West and Southeast ridge. 

D2E0D934-D532-43C5-B3AF-83D69A716229.thumb.png.ec6d5a1bf2582c094df164bb0e45e0a6.png

17FB0548-8C9C-432C-B4CC-8F2F7CCFC610.thumb.png.8f2e3bdd49791caf0996c2aae4078491.png

9183E885-5882-4711-9292-C94F7C29F77D.thumb.png.ed623e7c45d1b261832ea74e9c5bd6e2.png

Support is definitely growing for a warm early March and that would fit strong El Niño climo too…..past events had a warm to very warm early-mid March

12 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

if you look nationwide almost every station is below or well below average snowfall for the date....amazing bad on a national level.

Not really, the west coast, Tennessee and the MA are doing well, and that's good when comparing to 97/98. 

51 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Nyc snow hole aside it shows how hard it is to get 2 awful winters in a row. At least this one is just bad so far and I'd imagine places like Sussex and orange are at their seasonal average to date. Allentown is close

Sounds like the NYC snow hole was worse than mine.  Even with a perfect setup, and radar showing the heaviest yet to come, it cut off anyways.  That's why I say, snow is a miracle in NYC metro area.

SnowTriangle.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastonSN+ said:

We can't complain this year, we performed far better than 97/98 even if we have seen out last snow!!

Avoided first back to back sub 10 inch seasons in my lifetime. Sitting at 12.5.

of course you can complain the last two winters have sucked

Comparing this to 97/98 is like saying I failed the test but at least I scored higher than the kid who also failed, but with a lower score.

We can't complain this year, we performed far better than 97/98 even if we have seen out last snow!!

Avoided first back to back sub 10 inch seasons in my lifetime. Sitting at 12.5.

NYC will probably not avoid it and neither will most of the rest of us on the coast.

You are in CT-- a completely different climate from us.

Completely agree! Sure 15/16 and 82/83 were better, however avoiding 97/98 was great. 

lol the snowfall total this year is exactly the same as 97-98

and I dont understand why 97-98 became the bar for anything, it wasn't even the least snowiest winter, but it was a complete failure and so is this winter, not just for us, but for the entire nation.

57 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Nyc snow hole aside it shows how hard it is to get 2 awful winters in a row. At least this one is just bad so far and I'd imagine places like Sussex and orange are at their seasonal average to date. Allentown is close

I would classify anything at under 10 inches as just awful and in the lowest possible category.

49 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

South of us too! DC and Baltimore are around average snowfall for this time of year and have a legit shot at reaching. It's Philly, CPK and oddly Boston in this year snow hole.

Even with poor measurement, CPK has more snowfall than the entirety of 97/98. They can still see a couple more inches before things fall apart around the 24th.

again I dont get this need to compare this to 97-98, as of now they are equally bad but no one besides you even cares about 97-98 lol

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

of course you can complain the last two winters have sucked

Comparing this to 97/98 is like saying I failed the test but at least I scored higher than the kid who also failed, but with a lower score.

Thing is you always play with fire when you have a strong El Nino. Also, you have to take into consideration the background state. 15/16 was in our 00/18 period. 97/98 was in our putrid 70/99 30 year period. I honestly exceeded what I expected going into this year.

If you want you can reference 82/83, but then you need to consider that this is the 4th strong El nino, so 50% chance at a one storm event bringing us to average snowfall?

• Very Strong: 1982-83, 1997-98, 2015-16.

Just now, EastonSN+ said:

Thing is you always play with fire when you have a strong El Nino. Also, you have to take into consideration the background state. 15/16 was in our 00/18 period. 97/98 was in our putrid 70/99 30 year period. I honestly exceeded what I expected going into this year.

If you want you can reference 82/83, but then you need to consider that this is the 4th strong El nino, so 50% chance at a one storm event bringing us to average snowfall?

• Very Strong: 1982-83, 1997-98, 2015-16.

If we end up at under 10 inches on the season it's going to be the worst 2 year period in New York City history.

Will have to look at JFK's history in the late 90s to see how well it compares with that.

But one thing to be happy about, I don't think there's much of a chance of a cool rainy spring, like the last two years I would bet on a warm and dry spring.

12 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Not really, the west coast, Tennessee and the MA are doing well, and that's good when comparing to 97/98. 

We can just use the national numbers overall and going by that it's been a historically snowless winter over the CONUS.

I dont understand the fixation with TN-- it's just one state lol.

8 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

again I dont get this need to compare this to 97-98, as of now they are equally bad but no one besides you even cares about 97-98 lol

You KNOW that I am the only person? Why would you even write that?

Also, why is it not correct to compare strong El Nino events?

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

You KNOW that I am the only person? Why would you even write that?

Also, why is it not correct to compare strong El Nino events?

Because there are other el nino events that were stronger than this that had much more snow and were colder.

1982-83 and 2015-16

I consider 1997-98 an aberration.

We even went below 0 in February 2016, on this date, as a matter of fact.  Happy Valentine's Day lol.

Just now, LibertyBell said:

Because there are other el nino events that were stronger than this that had much more snow and were colder.

1982-83 and 2015-16

I consider 1997-98 an aberration.

There were 4 events and 2 were putrid, please explain why 97/98 is an aberration?

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Think it's bad here?  Look at the snowcover map of the upper midwest in the NE forum....bare ground into S Canada (which will likely modify any "cold air" coming our way not to mention ice free great lakes.

This is why I'm worried about Canadian wild fires and bad air quality here again.

I think some people are just unaware of how awful things are getting-- and it's about so much more than just snowfall.  

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

I've always said this winter could be similar. Only difference is we had a week of winter in January and the March storm came a month early

Completely agree! Also, there are a couple of more chances at light snow events before we warm!