• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

2 hours ago, SRRTA22 said:

No matter what we get, this week was AWESOME. Cold and snowy. 

Who cares how much we get...enjoy it 

Yep, I loved this week. I enjoy the cold and need more than just snow followed by immediate warmth. So regardless of relatively tame snow totals, this was such a refreshing week of actual winter for me and it’ll get me through if the remaining season is terrible and warm. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It’s fully possible the city north gets nothing. Heading in, soon for snow removal. Would not be surprised that the extreme amount of salt we put down may prevent anything from accumulating 

Looking the radar,its coming bud ..this winter everything has trended north not south yet the models keep it south and drying up lol

• Weenie 1

First flakes are falling here on Barnegat Bay.   31.7

While 4-6 is being called for, I'd be surprised if we don't mix for a period of time between 11 and 2 on the water.  

Everything else looks good for our biggest snowfall in the past two years.  Very interested in watching the live breakdown of where the IVT sets up and if any actual banding sets up for a brief bit. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

45 minutes ago, dseagull said:

First flakes are falling here on Barnegat Bay.   31.7

While 4-6 is being called for, I'd be surprised if we don't mix for a period of time between 11 and 2 on the water.  

Everything else looks good for our biggest snowfall in the past two years.  Very interested in watching the live breakdown of where the IVT sets up and if any actual banding sets up for a brief bit. 

I saw earlier they expected mixing east of the parkway up to approximately Monmouth / Ocean line. Not sure if that’s still the case as things have shifted around prior to Go time, but I do think you’ll definitely see decent accumulation. Good luck!

No flakes here yet to your north, about ten miles inland on the TR / Manchester border. 

• Like 1

Just now, Volcanic Winter said:

I saw earlier they expected mixing east of the parkway up to approximately Monmouth / Ocean line. Not sure if that’s still the case as things have shifted around prior to Go time, but I do think you’ll definitely see decent accumulation. Good luck!

You will do really well with this today. 3-4 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wdrag said:

A possible statistical 3AM reality check.  Chance of snow exceeding 1". Brown starts  80%.  I think where its brown, is also a very good chance of 2+.  The rest is yours to debate. It should snow an inch into Fairfield Litchfield counties. maybe spotty 2"?image.thumb.png.850e295cd9bdc76da61b9aca057bd147.png

Thank you Walt. Do you have any thoughts on where the NWS is getting their aggressive forecast from? Are they banking on high ratios or expect over performance? They must see something to issue the numbers they did. 

Just checked again and northeast NJ in the teal section of your map is still showing a forecast of 2-3 inches, as one example.

Mainly just curious if you have a read on this. Thanks for your time as always!

5 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Thank you Walt. Do you have any thoughts on where the NWS is getting their aggressive forecast from? Are they banking on high ratios or expect over performance? They must see something to issue the numbers they did. 

Just checked again and northeast NJ in the teal section of your map is still showing a forecast of 2-3 inches, as one example.

Mainly just curious if you have a read on this. Thanks for your time as always!

Well, I haven't read their AFD's - no time since I have my own private group that once/day at 530A.  Their AFD should haver some insight. I'll check now.  Attaching the first reports of 1+.

Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 5.55.45 AM.png

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, wdrag said:

A possible statistical 3AM reality check.  Chance of snow exceeding 1". Brown starts  80%.  I think where its brown, is also a very good chance of 2+.  The rest is yours to debate. It should snow an inch into Fairfield Litchfield counties. maybe spotty 2"?image.thumb.png.850e295cd9bdc76da61b9aca057bd147.png

I'm very close to the Brown 80% area, maybe just a few miles northeast of there lol, so let's say, 78% zone? I guess 2" is a good number for me also.

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

why is NJ so damn long? Sometimes I wish Long Island was east of Atlantic City lol, especially with storms like this.

I think we all get a +1 bust..2 to 3 inches isnt really out of play neither. For as much the model keeps printing dry,lets see what the next hour or so brings. Virga or flakes??:snowing:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MANDA said:

NJ state of emergency!?  WTH

They have a difficult time targeting one area since people commutes 50 miles from a adverse zone to a safer zone so the whole state.  There's no doubt in mind souther nNJ is going to have a nice snowstorm today of potential 6-7"... bigger flakes, a little ocean instability contribution below 850 MB (a bit of ocean effect may get up to Monmouth Cty and s shore LI) and occasional banding.  

I could see banding up to between I78-I80, especially near 3PM when the nw upper level flow ij. NYS impinges on NJ way flow above 850 MB forcing convergence in the 800-600MB layer that is saturated.  We'll see what happens. 

• Thanks 4