• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15th-17th 2024 Arctic Blast/Snow Event

John1122

I ended the event very close to 10 inches, but that transition to sleet and freezing rain was more than I realized at the end of the event. It was still freezing rain and sleeting when I went to bed but was very light. Just broke the sleet crust off an undisturbed area of snow and you can clearly see the sleet pellets frozen together, got about an inch of sleet before it all ended for me sometimes well after midnight. Can clearly see the sleet pellets shape fused together for a thick crust. Really surprised to see that sleet layer at an inch thick. So just under 10" of snow, and about 1 inch of sleet.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ShawnEastTN said:
8 minutes ago, Knoxtron said:
20240116-144913.jpg

20240116-145150.jpg
Sun is out and I still have snow? Can someone pinch me??

I know so rare for me in the valley, even deep snows like this are usually mostly gone by this time in the day. See you got a good freezing rain coating also.

Yeah, we had about 9 inches at max of snow/sleet last night. The freezing rain has compacted it to about 6 inches, my 2 year old doesn't break thru the ice layer so is not a fan of the slip and slide!

As much as I want more snow, I really hope we don't get more freezing rain. Evergreens are bending a lot

• Like 3

It's not correct for my area but it rarely is. 

They rarely get that map right, even when we have a heavy rain event. This particular storm shouldn’t have been all that difficult to map either. Just about everyone I know got 7-9”.

• Like 1

Took these just a few minutes ago. Usually after a heavy snow, breezes knock it all off the trees the next day here. The snow on that cedar and other tree here on my property looks delicate by appearance like it could be blown off or fall off easily, but it is actually sealed by the light freezing rain to the trees. The freezing rain was light enough here to coat the snow and not wash it away even on trees. Don't think I've seen that at my house in previous storms. Very rare for me to have snow still on trees by the end of the day after a snow.ec831dc9d9a62ba97fef193a0c426816.jpgf6e3a84605a2d6a9053e1b8ce30b6a42.jpg

• Like 7

I'm working on it. Just sent a grader and two trucks with liquid calcium chloride up there.

How cold will the melting agents work down to? My 4 lanes around here have standing water on them and they are all wet. Seems like that’s going to be a problem when the sun starts to set.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

How cold will the melting agents work down to? My 4 lanes around here have standing water on them and they are all wet. Seems like that’s going to be a problem when the sun starts to set.

Seems like about 18° is about it for the regular brine. If they put beet juice in it, I believe they add it as long as the temp is somewhere between 5-20°. However I don’t think it’s that effective below 18°. Below that I don’t think there’s much you can do if you can’t plow it or scrape it. Just have to wait until the sun comes back out to help with it.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

The calcium is good to around zero. That's what we've been using up there all day. Salt and brine are already worthless at current temps. We are trying to get a lane cleared in each direction before the sun goes down.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dwagner88 said:

The calcium is good to around zero. That's what we've been using up there all day. Salt and brine are already worthless at current temps. We are trying to get a lane cleared in each direction before the sun goes down.

Good to know about the calcium! I didn’t know that was used. 

• Like 1

Interesting satellite imagery this afternoon. Not quite clear enough to see the snow cut off line yet, but some of the features we have talked about before, especially some leeside convergence

1BCKro3.png

I have outlined in magenta the approximate outline of Frozen Head/ Cross mt and High Knob. Outside the Smokies, these are the highest mountains in our area. To the lee side (downwind of the topography) you can see low level wind convergence producing plumes of clouds, what I've pointed black arrows at.

They almost look like litt;e funnels on Infrared imagery. 

QnZ96ID.png

Because this is only a 2D image, I can't tell if the spreading out is lift, the mountains blocking the flow, or a combo of the two. 

Here's a gif so you can see it in motion:

giphy.gif

Also notice how the Smokies kind of shunt the flow toward lower peaks on either side. 

Finally, even though eastern areas haven't cleared out yet, here is an absolutely gorgeous mesoscale floater look at the TN Valley:

qEtZHRv.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic