Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15th-17th 2024 Arctic Blast/Snow Event

John1122

24 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Screen_Shot_2024-01-13_at_10.21.26_AM.pn

It's been a long time since something like that happened here. Most I've ever recorded in a day since recording totals in late 2016 was March 22' at 6.7". I'd take a quarter of that snow total haha. One of the concerning aspects of that run however was the presence of the warm nose/downslope (not sure what that chalks up as). Pivotal shows a significant stretch of zr resolving the 12z rgem expanding on what ice the 6z had. Areas in the eastern edge of the valley most effected but I can't help but wonder if something similar could be seen to the nw of Bays mountain and Clinch mountain. Also hi everybody!

• Like 1

Think NWS offices are pulling the trigger quicker due to the Arctic air following the system. Giving an increased lead time to the public. Wouldn't be shocked to see MEG pull the trigger early depending on how rest of 12z wraps up. They have it built into their wording for up to 36 hr lead.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TellicoWx said:

With this system being a little flatter, it may leave the gulf more open for #2 (or the wave may turn into a #2 lol)

Have been consumed with watching the first wave but seems like 12z suites are baby stepping the low more northwesterly up the east coast.  Would love to see some bonus backend high ratio snow for east tn

• Like 2

Just now, Bigbald said:

Have been consumed with watching the first wave but seems like 12z suites are baby stepping the low more northwesterly up the east coast.  Would love to see some bonus backend high ratio snow for east tn

If GFS is in the right ballpark, maybe a tad more than a backend fluff

• Like 1

The new NAM replacement is out to 53hrs and it's a little south of the NAM but not by a ton. Its snow shield is almost right along 40 in East Tennessee and west of I-81. But it will likely be getting better for the East towards 60. Memphis gets 4 inches of snow and changes over to sleet and freezing rain on it. What a nightmare that would be, if zr gets involved.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Is that the RRFS? 

Yes, it looks a lot like the 3k NAM.  Probably because it is essentially the 3k NAM and the HRRR wrapped in one. It runs as a hi-res deterministic model for the first, I think, 36 hours and finishes to 60 as an ensemble run.

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic