• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southeast Sanitarium - Winter 23/24 Edition

eyewall

Whenever it does snow here again, and it will, it shall be glorious.  I'm kind of a 'glass half-full' guy.  In almost 70 years worth of winters in central/eastern NC been lucky enough to see two massive snows(Mar. '80, Jan. '00), so guessing my ticket's punched.  Only reason I'm posting here in the Sanitarium is b/c I'm a little crazy ;-)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

For bashing of this winter

Yea I’m not even trying to bash the winter. I’m just sick of not being allowed to talk about the weather in the mid range thread if it doesn’t fit the cold/snowy narrative folks want. Weather is weather and I love it year around. People who don’t want anything other than pro-snow comments being made can touch grass.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BooneWX said:

Yea I’m not even trying to bash the winter. I’m just sick of not being allowed to talk about the weather in the mid range thread if it doesn’t fit the cold/snowy narrative folks want. Weather is weather and I love it year around. People who don’t want anything other than pro-snow comments being made can touch grass.

Agreed. I pointed holes in this pattern as soon as it reached ensemble range and nothing was showing. It was the PUSU phase. I was told it was too volatile for models or too much energy was flying around to have any clue what was going to happen. Weeklies are THE WORST forecast tool we have yet some kept pointing to them over ensembles 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Agreed. I pointed holes in this pattern as soon as it reached ensemble range and nothing was showing. It was the PUSU phase. I was told it was too volatile for models or too much energy was flying around to have any clue what was going to happen. Weeklies are THE WORST forecast tool we have yet some kept pointing to them over ensembles 

Is there a verification score for things such as ensembles and weeklies like the OP model runs have? Obviously there would have to be margin of error factored in considering the timeframe from hour 0, but I think it's been (3?) times this winter everyone was talking about the weeklies constantly getting colder three weeks out just for it to disappear right when op runs were starting to get within that timeframe (I've spent less time on ensembles this winter compared to normal, so not really sure how they've overall panned out)

19 minutes ago, UnionCountyNCWX said:

Is there a verification score for things such as ensembles and weeklies like the OP model runs have? Obviously there would have to be margin of error factored in considering the timeframe from hour 0, but I think it's been (3?) times this winter everyone was talking about the weeklies constantly getting colder three weeks out just for it to disappear right when op runs were starting to get within that timeframe (I've spent less time on ensembles this winter compared to normal, so not really sure how they've overall panned out)

Great question, I don’t know. Ensembles as you know are variable as always and you clearly have model tendencies but they’ve been pretty consistent in showing limited winter wx opportunities throughout the winter. I’d actually say ops this season have been more excited for some fantasy storms than you’d expect looking at their ensemble charts

2 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

This assessment (bolded) isn’t accurate imo because many GEFS runs (and GEPS for that matter) had until recently been showing a large % of members with wintry precip over the non-mountain SE as I had posted about. There were quite a few GEFS with 2/3-3/4 of members doing so and with ~30-50% even down in GA/SC/FL due to numerous having suppressed southern sliders. I was even counting the # with wintry in N FL with many runs having 3-5 members and 1 having an amazing 10 (33%) with wintry, unheard of that far out. Also, for a number of days, more than 50% of GFS runs had significant wintry somewhere in the non-mountain SE. My posts are all there for the record if anyone doesn’t recall these %s. That’s one of the reasons I post details about model/ens runs. I’m thinking ahead to if/when folks want to look back.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, GaWx said:

This assessment (bolded) isn’t accurate imo because many GEFS runs (and GEPS for that matter) had until recently been showing a large % of members with wintry precip over the non-mountain SE as I had posted about. There were quite a few GEFS with 2/3-3/4 of members doing so and with ~30-50% even down in GA/SC/FL due to numerous having suppressed southern sliders. I was even counting the # with wintry in N FL with many runs having 3-5 members and 1 having an amazing 10 (33%) with wintry, unheard of that far out. Also, for a number of days, more than 50% of GFS runs had significant wintry somewhere in the non-mountain SE. My posts are all there for the record if anyone doesn’t recall these %s. That’s one of the reasons I post details about model/end runs. I’m thinking ahead to if/when folks want to look back.

That was a more of IMBY comment. I seriously discredited the Florida solutions and never once thought that was realistic. For NC, it was paltry. If we’re talking about the region as a whole, yes you could find a solid number showing wintry precipitation somewhere but it seemed either to be overly suppressed or too warm with little in between solutions which is why I favored the latter. There didn’t seem to be a path to victory HERE that was well advertised by a large % of ensemble members 

6 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

That was a more of IMBY comment. I seriously discredited the Florida solutions and never once thought that was realistic. For NC, it was paltry. If we’re talking about the region as a whole, yes you could find a solid number showing wintry precipitation somewhere but it seemed either to be overly suppressed or too warm with little in between solutions which is why I favored the latter. There didn’t seem to be a path to victory HERE that was well advertised by a large % of ensemble members 

You saying “nothing was showing” on the ensembles was what I was responding about, which is so far from reality. And that includes non-mtn NC, for which many GEFS had 50-75% of members with wintry. NC had more action than any other state, which is normal.

• Like 1

Amazing how a perfect pattern progged by ensembles and Weeklies can come completely undone in a few days. We are now looking at a warm last week of February due to no -NAO and the PNA is about to flip to- while the MJO is not wanting to leave phase 7. 

It's about time to cue up the we need a March 93 miracle posts..

3 hours ago, wncsnow said:

Amazing how a perfect pattern progged by ensembles and Weeklies can come completely undone in a few days. We are now looking at a warm last week of February due to no -NAO and the PNA is about to flip to- while the MJO is not wanting to leave phase 7. 

It's about time to cue up the we need a March 93 miracle posts..

We need a volcano or maybe even an asteroid strike to break this pattern

3 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

it’s crazy to think that if we don’t get snow before Jan 22 of next year, most on this board will have gone a full 3 years without measurable snow. With our last pre-Jan snow being 2018, odds are highly suggestive that will be tested 

Yep we could cross that 1000 day mark for sure.

3 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Our winter now runs Dec-Jan. February is spring. More 60’s and 70’s than days in the 50’s. I bet we end up with more frosts from November than we do this entire month 

Let’s just hope we don’t continue the trend of getting our dream blocking set up on March 25 as has been the pattern.

36 minutes ago, eyewall said:

All I can say is I am glad I took that trip to the mountains a few weeks ago when they had back to back snowfalls.

I was supposed to be at Beech the weekend of the 16 incher, but called into work 48 hours before i was supposed to leave. It stings now more than ever that I missed that.