• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2024

On 5/3/2024 at 8:12 PM, GaWx said:

Very fwiw esp due to a cold bias tendency, but the Euro weekly for 5/13-20 is this:IMG_9612.thumb.webp.837cdcedaf3b8c2406a23f6895ed2d3c.webp

Keeping in mind my mention in this quoted post of “fwiw esp due to a cold bias tendency”, note how much warmer is today’s Euro Weekly throughout the US for 5/13-20 (just 3 days later)! @Met1985

IMG_9623.thumb.webp.102b4b9c27465010c6d390898d98d78e.webp

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GaWx said:

Keeping in mind my mention in this quoted post of “fwiw esp due to a cold bias tendency”, note how much warmer is today’s Euro Weekly throughout the US for 5/13-20 (just 3 days later)! @Met1985

IMG_9623.thumb.webp.102b4b9c27465010c6d390898d98d78e.webp

Yeah it definitely doesn't look as cool but I still think we see a few good cold shots to at least temper the heat.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Upstate Tiger said:

I posted in obs that it was 47 this morning in West Lincoln County.  Pretty amazing to be less than 5 weeks from July 4.  Love it.  Pic from last evening sitting on deck waiting on deer.  Almost needed a sweater.  

IMG_3082.jpeg

Last evening while walking out, I felt that “nip in the air” feeling of October. It will be back to stay in less than four months. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, wncsnow said:

A lot of respected mets say climate change is a big reason why some of those things are happening.

I don’t want to get into the CC debate but when you look at the east coast as a whole, the record sea temps, and some pattern anomalies that seem to have more influence over our ability to snow than in years past, there’s a reason the entire east coast is in rarified air when it comes to snow droughts extending multi-years. There’s a very strong argument that our fragile baseline state for snow (usually 32-33 degrees through the column even for some major events in the past) may be too warm now simply bc the water temps storms have to work with warm us above that fragile dance. There’s a reason that in the south at least there hasn’t been a coastal storm since 2017 outside some areas of the triad in 2018 that didn’t end up raining. The few snows we’ve had since then have all come from modes other coastals. Watch our 100, 50 year averages decline and you start to realize this is a very strong trend. Seeing your average snow decrease from 7 to 5” over 50 years may not sound like a lot but losing 30% of your seasonal total on average means a lot of snowless years will come given 1 storm can send you above that. I worry we may be shattering snow drought records by the end of this season. Now I know it can still snow and all this is thrown out the table for a while if we do luck into one so I’ll be right there tracking once November rolls around, but the long term trends and prospects for snow in the future are pretty bleak 

12 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I don’t want to get into the CC debate but when you look at the east coast as a whole, the record sea temps, and some pattern anomalies that seem to have more influence over our ability to snow than in years past, there’s a reason the entire east coast is in rarified air when it comes to snow droughts extending multi-years. There’s a very strong argument that our fragile baseline state for snow (usually 32-33 degrees through the column even for some major events in the past) may be too warm now simply bc the water temps storms have to work with warm us above that fragile dance. There’s a reason that in the south at least there hasn’t been a coastal storm since 2017 outside some areas of the triad in 2018 that didn’t end up raining. The few snows we’ve had since then have all come from modes other coastals. Watch our 100, 50 year averages decline and you start to realize this is a very strong trend. Seeing your average snow decrease from 7 to 5” over 50 years may not sound like a lot but losing 30% of your seasonal total on average means a lot of snowless years will come given 1 storm can send you above that. I worry we may be shattering snow drought records by the end of this season. Now I know it can still snow and all this is thrown out the table for a while if we do luck into one so I’ll be right there tracking once November rolls around, but the long term trends and prospects for snow in the future are pretty bleak 

I think you make some valid points.  I have been closely following the winter weather in this area since 76/77 when I was 12.  There were some epic winters from 76/77 - 82/83.  After that, it seemed winter storms became less frequent throughout the remainder of the 80's.  Yes we had the epic cold snap in January of 85 and the big dogs in Janaury of 87 & 88, but that was about it.  I kept thinking this is just a pattern change like the 50's and it would snap back like it did in the 60's.  But, it didn't happen in the 90's either.  We had the Super Storm in 93.  95/96 was very reminicent of the "old pattern"  Anyway, the climate, as it always has, is changing and is not the same as 50 years ago.  

• Like 1