Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium-Long Range Discussion

Holston_River_Rambler

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

Anything outside D3, expect a 600 miles track window. The models are good at being within a day or two of a storm now, which is amazing, but they aren't good at track.

I do find it impressive, as an aside, that they are trying to turn somewhere in Missouri or the Ohio River area, into the Sierra Nevada with 40 and 50 inch snow amounts over a week to 10 days.

I agree. I'm not so concerned about tracks and placements right now since the colors signal the significance..at least for now. I think for many of us the next few weeks, we have big daddy potential(s) within reasonable snow-chasing limits (which for me in western mid TN is 3+" within <3 hours of drive time), if not our own locales. 2023 was a rough year for a lot of reasons. No measurable snow for the calendar year (outside the 1" of total storm ice late January) added insult to injury. Already I feel like this thread is a good omen to this year being better than last. 

• Like 2

12z GEFS looks alot better thru the ext (run not complete quite yet), especially for the central and west TN folks. Instead of one storm skewing the mean and the rest kinda of blah, almost each member has some for of storm/s. One member even pushes 2"-4" right to the gulf/FL panhandle area. When ensembles start getting into the 4"-5" means (west/central TN), usually something is coming

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Euro was pretty close to a storm on the 12th. 

Jumped the storm SE again, as you guys have said over the past couple days or so, seems to be something this winter to that. With those lofty numbers shown just across the MS river last few days of runs, it will be interesting to see if west TN starts getting into the game for anything within 150 hrs.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Looks like the records for NA are 1078-9mb set in late Jan early Feb 1989.

Thanks for checking.  It(that run....no idea what reality will bring) is going to push for the record for the Lower 48.  No idea if this materializes, but the air mass shown will have few rivals if it verifies.   I need to check the control.

• Like 2

Hopefully we get snow on ground before that kinda cold.  Otherwise just dry & cold.  I’ll take a hard pass. 

Snows a couple times a week in the Arctic Circle. When it gets below 25 degrees here it’s too dry with the GOM 450 miles away.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Euro control has 4-7" over Nashville metro.  Here is the 12z GEFS ensemble.  IF we get snow with an air mass that is already  that cold without snow in E TN and N GA....that could set records if snow fell here.  I would say my misgivings would be that this air mass could stall.  Where it stalls, there is likely to be an over-running event.  Does it stall on the Plateau again?  E TN folks would croak.  Does it go to the Atlantic?   Likely.

Screen_Shot_2024-01-06_at_2.55.40_PM.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, beavis1729 said:

NA record is 1079mb in Dawson, Yukon 2/2/1989. Lower 48 record is 1064mb at Miles City MT 12/24/1983.

Crazy to see that on modeling.  Likely modeling is too extreme and will modify as we get closer, but folks probably need to take a minute and just admire the extreme on the CMC operational and also Euro control(1050s).   This reminds me a lot of the west TN ice storm a few years ago...maybe displaced eastward.  This is the kind of airmass that brings snow on snow - IF real.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Euro was pretty close to a storm on the 12th. 

The progression of the 12z Euro makes more sense than other modeling, IMO.  First system is passing this weekend, second system (much stronger) early next week winds up and cuts into the lakes.  This should move the boundary further east while the next system dives into the southern plains and takes a track a bit further to the south and east.  Because of this, I think the system later next week (day 6) has a snow/ice axis somewhere that will put the western to middle Tennessee area and/or Arkansas/northern MS in play.  I think East TN has to wait to see if there is a system following the much bigger push of very cold air that will try and make its move east following the late week system.   Hope modeling can start to converge around the 12z Euro (outlier) and our bothers/sisters west of us will have a system to track.

• Like 4

I would think with an active STJ this could get wild somewhere in the upper south if this air mass is real.

I just told a friend who’s been begging me for snow….”you better watch what you wish for”. He said yeah whatever. I said “buddy, I’m not kidding either”.

• Like 5

Just now, PowellVolz said:

I just told a friend who’s been begging me for snow….”you better watch what you wish for”. He said yeah whatever. I said “buddy, I’m not kidding either”.

Yeah, and it is highly unlikely the boundary is correct at this point.  Everyone north of a line from New Orleans to Atlanta to the Research Triangle is in the game.  It is HIGHLY likely that modeling under-doing the extent of the lower level cold.  And we are still seeing some pretty wild swings, even on ensembles.   I think a 95-96 type of storm seems likely.  Where that axis would be, IDK.  The almost certain warm-up between Jan 20-30....folks might welcome it with open arms!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, and it is highly unlikely the boundary is correct at this point.  Everyone north of a line from New Orleans to Atlanta to the Research Triangle is in the game.  It is HIGHLY likely that modeling under-doing the extent of the lower level cold.  And we are still seeing some pretty wild swings, even on ensembles.   I think a 95-96 type of storm seems likely.  Where that axis would be, IDK.  The almost certain warm-up between Jan 20-30....folks might welcome it with open arms!!!

95-96 was almost epic for Knoxville. We had one big snow and a bunch of snow-rain-snow events. 20 miles NE of Knoxville looked like Mt Leconte for a month or so. That was so close to setting records in Knoxville.

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic