• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

The mids are fine at DC. Never gets close. But surface is 34-35 up 95 during the whole event.  That’s not usually how this goes. Typically if anything the mid level warm later pushes further NW than the surface. If the euro is 2 degrees too warm at the surface this was a 12” snow in DC and Baltimore. 

I won’t say it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

The mids are fine at DC. Never gets close. But surface is 34-35 up 95 during the whole event.  That’s not usually how this goes. Typically if anything the mid level warm later pushes further NW than the surface. If the euro is 2 degrees too warm at the surface this was a 12” snow in DC and Baltimore. 

I won’t say it. 

this dual jet signature is straight out of a textbook

ecmwf-deterministic-conus-z250_speed-4553200.thumb.png.815315dace12b74328f9c29a335dd5d4.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I won’t say it. 

A rainy mix in DC due to a super shitty BL is not off the table.  

• Like 1

Just now, Deck Pic said:

its monday night lol

lol. We are not locking anything in. But I will say I’ve observed in the last few years since the major upgrades to the gfs and euro, there is a pattern where they start to narrow in on the general synoptic solution around 140-160 hours out.  After that the changes are more subtle. We’re marginal so subtle could be big for our ground truth but once inside day 6 usually it’s not adjustments of 500 miles like it used to be. They even picked up on that crazy anafront wave from 5-6 days out!  They still have limitations but since the last upgrade they seem to start identifying the basic idea a couple days earlier than before. I know we haven’t had many chances to test this locally but I’ve tracked storms for my various ski interests over the last few years. 

• Like 3

Worth staying up for the Euro (and having an earthquake) but it reminds me a bit of the 12/16/20 storm where 4-5 days out we looked good for significant snow but the mix line quickly punched into the immediate metro. It was still a pretty fun storm with some high initial rates. 

4 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

Thanks...looks like my sister's place in pocono pines gets clobbered...may have to road trip.  This feels like a 3.75" event for me with 8-12" for you.  It'd be a nice start tho

That area should do very well. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rjvanals said:

Worth staying up for the Euro (and having an earthquake) but it reminds me a bit of the 12/16/20 storm where 4-5 days out we looked good for significant snow but the mix line quickly punched into the immediate metro. It was still a pretty fun storm with some high initial rates. 

Thought I felt an earthquake! Checked USGS a couple minutes afterward, but it wasn't posted yet, then figured it nothing. Thanks for mentioning it! 

We’ve actually had some runs with marginally crappy tracks produce decent results over the last 24 hours. This helps. Remember a few days ago what the airmass looked like leading in. The boundary was to our north. This is much closer to what we want the thermal boundary look look leading in. I said I wanted 5 degrees colder than that gfs run. This is maybe 3-4 colder. Will have to do. 
IMG_0740.thumb.png.00d0d2c01d2b2c2759bcacd704621580.png

• Like 4