• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

Finally heard something akin to a gust front come through, but the rain has been pretty minimal.  Before the latest round, I had 0.23" (+ 0.09" from yesterday for 2-day 0.32).  Currently have 0.29" in the bucket for today with some light rain.

Temp is currently 53 with dp 50, so the colder air hasn't arrived yet.

kdix_20240229_0156_BR_0.41.png

2 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Finally heard something akin to a gust front come through, but the rain has been pretty minimal.  Before the latest round, I had 0.23" (+ 0.09" from yesterday for 2-day 0.32).  Currently have 0.29" in the bucket for today with some light rain.

Temp is currently 53 with dp 50, so the colder air hasn't arrived yet.

kdix_20240229_0156_BR_0.41.png

Sit on the front...it's a blast! Gusty.

• Haha 1

Today we end the winter months of December, January and February. While this year has been very warm it is actually almost a degree cooler than last winter. The warmest winter ever was way back in 1931/32 with an average temp of 39.51 degrees. Of note in our current warm cycle we have recorded 7 of the top 10 warmest DJF periods all just since the year 2000!!!

May as well issue my final winter grade today. Only a March '58 redux could get me to change my score...

C

Pros: It snowed. We had junk & stuff to track. We had snow on snow. I was under two winter storm warnings (although only one verified). It was better than last year (which isn't saying much).

Cons: Winter was reduced to two, one-week stretches. Other than that it was another long November. Strong Nino, -QBO and this was the best we could do?? There should have been at least one MECS. And where were the nor'easters? It wasn't a dry winter. It started off with those heavy rainstorms in Dec...and then?? Not to steal drought-guy's act but I was certain we'd get our fair share of coastals with wind, beach erosion, watches/warning/advisories, etc. Whether they would be wet or white was the only question. At least 1982-83 and 2015-16 were one-hit wonders. 

Final thought: Time to toss SSWE's in the trash bin. They're as useful as Siberian snow cover.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, JTA66 said:

May as well issue my final winter grade today. Only a March '58 redux could get me to change my score...

C

Pros: It snowed. We had junk & stuff to track. We had snow on snow. I was under two winter storm warnings (although only one verified). It was better than last year (which isn't saying much).

Cons: Winter was reduced to two, one-week stretches. Other than that it was another long November. Strong Nino, -QBO and this was the best we could do?? There should have been at least one MECS. And where were the nor'easters? It wasn't a dry winter. It started off with those heavy rainstorms in Dec...and then?? Not to steal drought-guy's act but I was certain we'd get our fair share of coastals with wind, beach erosion, watches/warning/advisories, etc. Whether they would be wet or white was the only question. At least 1982-83 and 2015-16 were one-hit wonders. 

Final thought: Time to toss SSWE's in the trash bin. They're as useful as Siberian snow cover.

Toss the MJO in the dumpster as well. Didn't really reflect historically  what we would expect given the phase. Another overrated/understudied tool wrt east coast winter weather.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When you know you know!

You know it is over when you see this!

.BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM PST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions likely, particularly through Saturday
  morning. There is a 10-20% chance of thunderstorms along the crest
  through this evening with snowfall rates of 4 to 6 inches per hour
  at times. Snow accumulations between 3 and 6 feet for Lake Tahoe
  communities, with 6 to 10 feet above 7000 feet. Winds gusting to
  70 mph in lower elevations and above 115 mph over Sierra ridges
  with significant drifting of snow.

* WHERE...Greater Lake Tahoe Area.

* WHEN...Until 10 AM PST Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Whiteout conditions with near zero visibility at times
  due to blowing snow. The strong winds and weight of snow on tree
  limbs may down power lines and could cause sporadic power outages.
  Travel will be treacherous and potentially life-threatening.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Blizzard Warning means severe winter weather conditions are
expected or occurring. Falling and blowing snow with strong winds
are likely. This will lead to whiteout conditions, making travel
extremely dangerous. Do not travel. If you must travel, have a
winter survival kit with you. If you get stranded, stay in your
vehicle.

Downtown Truckee, CA Live Webcam | HDOnTap.com

6 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Largest fire in Texas history still roaring rather impressive as well...

Alll normal everyday stuff no worries:

12 feet + of snow in Sierra Nevada after 5 Years of no snow 

Raging fires and 90 degrees + in Late February all normal stuff. 

Being Sarcastic obviously there is an obvious problem in climate in my opinion and most of it is fueled by warm ocean water temps and air temps especially the Pacific Ocean. 

• Weenie 1

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

It will be too warm regardless of the track IMO...

46F/Back edge of the rain not too far away

Let me save Anthony the trouble…

It’ll manufacture its own cold air :weenie: Don’t forget March ‘93 :weenie: Models can’t handle the shorter wavelengths in March :weenie: It can snow in April :weenie: Boxing Day!! :weenie: Ya never know

• Haha 7