• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

Not saying the GFS is right for the later Monday and Tuesday storm, however it shows some strong lift centered within the snow growth zone with high relative humidity especially from about I-78 northward when it shows all snow. Surface temperatures fall to near freezing so it would be a wetter snow. It looks to be a quick moving storm, but something to watch as potentially stronger dynamics come into play.

No doubt you've all missed the one and only fabulous WXSIM (now featuring the Euro model blended in) forecast.

WXSIM text forecast for East Nantmeal, initialized at  9:00 AM Feb 9, 2024
 Monday night: Mostly cloudy to cloudy in the evening, becoming dense overcast
 after midnight. Rain likely after midnight. Low 34. Wind east-northeast around 2
 mph in the evening, becoming 7 mph, gusting to 18 mph, after midnight. Chance of
 precipitation 60 percent. Precipitation mostly less than a quarter of an inch.

Tuesday: Dense overcast. A mix of snow, rain, and sleet likely in the morning,
 then a chance of a mix of snow and rain in the afternoon. High 37. Wind chill
 ranging from 25 to 31. Wind east-northeast around 10 mph, gusting to 19 mph, in
 the morning, becoming north-northeast in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation
 80 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly between 1 and 2 inches.
 Snow or ice (on ground) accumulation 3 to 5 inches.

8 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Take a Multi-Vitamin, B-complex and kick yourself in the nuts from time to time and I think you'll be alright to keep alert.

I've had fox running around, squirrels making silly sounds so something may be up?

Cops released a fox in Lansdale, a stones-throw away a couple days ago....creatures/critters know.

Caught on cam: ‘Fox Whisperer,' fellow police officer free animal entangled in netting

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/critter-corner/lansdale-police-fox-rescue/3769425/

My Wyndmoor sister had texted yesterday about the foxes on her street whining and screaming all night.  Am guessing it must be mating season or something. :lol:

The 12z GFS is running so will see what happens.

I bottomed out at 39 this morning and had noticed it had clouded over overnight.  It's currently partly cloudy and 48 with dp way up there at 41.

8 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

My Wyndmoor sister had texted yesterday about the foxes on her street whining and screaming all night.  Am guessing it must be mating season or something. :lol:

The 12z GFS is running so will see what happens.

I bottomed out at 39 this morning and had noticed it had clouded over overnight.  It's currently partly cloudy and 48 with dp way up there at 41.

It's mating season for a bunch of critters/creatures, I smacked a deer years past...just learned Feb is a prime skunk mating thing?

Be careful driving/walking and welcome to the jungle....

49F

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

It's mating season for a bunch of critters/creatures, I smacked a deer years past...just learned Feb is a prime skunk mating thing?

Be careful driving/walking and welcome to the jungle....

49F

I know I have skunks around here and will go out to the patio and get greeted by their hellish "perfume"! :o:lol:

7 minutes ago, Duca892 said:

12z GFS might of inched north a bit but looks like it held serve for LV North? idk. all i see are colors 

It definitely appears to have ticked north and looks like it wanted to be an apps runner and then does the Miller-B jump.

floop-12z-gfs-2024020912.prateptype_cat-imp.conus-02092024.gif

floop-12z-gfs-snow-2024020912.sn10_acc-imp.us_ne-02092024.gif

floop-12z-gfs-snow-kuchera-2024020912.snku_acc-imp.us_ne-02092024.gif

3 hours ago, MGorse said:

This storm setup has that look though of an area of heavy banding which would be all snow as the column cools. We shall see. I just want to know, how much snow for Philly? ;)

I will take a stab at it looking at 40f when precip begins and temps falling to  32-34 , warm grounds, sun angle, lower elevations coating to 2" mainly on the grass away from the Delaware River places like Media, Delaware County up along the Blue Route to the Turnpike or so.  Elevation will play a role for sure and dynamics.   I am not sure though if the storm track and trends are done here think we know for sure in 24 hours or so.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Worst pattern change ever lol, but it did look good at range..and on that one near biblical GFS run 

Other than one week in mid Jan featuring two nuisance events, it's been another ratter. What are we left with? Hoping for a paste job in early March to declare victory? Hey, I'll track anything as long as there's something to track. But I don't think enough winter is left for "the big turned around" we've all been hoping for.

• Like 1

Just now, JTA66 said:

Other than one week in mid Jan featuring two nuisance events, it's been another ratter. What are we left with? Hoping for a paste job in early March to declare victory? Hey, I'll track anything as long as there's something to track. But I don't think enough winter is left for "the big turned around" we've all been hoping for.

How about a well timed polar vortex intrusion for one in early April, been awhile since we had something big in April I don't know if the climate has warmed too much.