Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

35 minutes ago, Duca892 said:

Not sure I remember a time period in winter as quite hyped up as people have made Mid-End February 

I hope it lives up to it. The fact we got some real winter in January makes me feel more positive. A 6+ inch storm would make this winter a worthy one IMO. I know Royersford recorded 6 inches during the last storm but it didn’t look like that much where I am in Upper Providence. Though I didn’t measure due to the ice that was all over my driveway.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mattinpa said:

…I know Royersford recorded 6 inches during the last storm but it didn’t look like that much where I am in Upper Providence…

LOL!!!

Love this post, I totally pissed off my son and daughter-in-law after that storm when I told them there was no way they had 6” of snow at their Royersford home!

Then came the “official” report of the 6”, which they rubbed in my face, BUT NOW your post confirming my original suspicions!

I, of course, just forwarded it to them to undermine them further…

Great being a dad-pest‼️

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, snowwors2 said:

LOL!!!

Love this post, I totally pissed off my son and daughter-in-law after that storm when I told them there was no way they had 6” of snow at their Royersford home!

Then came the “official” report of the 6”, which they rubbed in my face, BUT NOW your post confirming my original suspicions!

Great being a dad-pest‼️

Lived in Royersford for several years and there's no way they had 6 inches...I always got screwed. Whoever reported this must have been on magic mushrooms....damn elevation is only 230 feet.

Did much better in Horsham and now North Wales (400ft)....

• Thanks 1

Made it up to 37 yesterday after a low of 33 and had noticed the sidewalk was wet with some non-measurable precip yesterday evening (didn't see flakes at the time).  Overnight registered 0.01" of liquid although again, am not sure if any of it was from flakes, light rain/drizzle, or a mix.  The temp stayed above freezing overnight regardless.

Currently a damp and misty 35 with dp 33.

We will end our cloudy January today. I will post the East Nantmeal Twp. and combined All Chester County climate data tomorrow. However, we will end the month with a much colder January then last year with most stations across the county averaging 6 to 8 degrees colder than 2023 (of course last year was the warmest Jan on record!). We will finish January about 1" below average snowfall for the month... but it will be our 3rd snowiest January in the last 10 years and 4th wettest on record. Dry weather for much of the next week with tomorrow being our warmest day with temps well into the 40's.
Records for today: High 65 (1916) / Low minus 4.8 (2019) / Precipitation 1.25" (1914) / Snow 4.3" (2021)
image.png.b7d8fb41fa61b58bb407d1b5a0e552dc.png

16 hours ago, mattinpa said:

I hope it lives up to it. The fact we got some real winter in January makes me feel more positive. A 6+ inch storm would make this winter a worthy one IMO. I know Royersford recorded 6 inches during the last storm but it didn’t look like that much where I am in Upper Providence. Though I didn’t measure due to the ice that was all over my driveway.

7 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Lived in Royersford for several years and there's no way they had 6 inches...I always got screwed. Whoever reported this must have been on magic mushrooms....damn elevation is only 230 feet.

Did much better in Horsham and now North Wales (400ft)....

8 hours ago, snowwors2 said:

LOL!!!

Great being a dad-pest‼️

LOL…

Got her going again this morning…

@mattinpa She questioned how close you lived to them so I told her you live near the YMCA which is 5 minutes down Linfield Rd from where they live!

She’s very competitive and wanted to beat out the 4” we got from that storm in Lumberville, PA‼️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, snowwors2 said:

LOL…

Got her going again this morning…

@mattinpa She questioned how close you lived to them so I told her you live near the YMCA which is 5 minutes down Linfield Rd from where they live!

She’s very competitive and wanted to beat out the 4” we got from that storm in Lumberville, PA‼️

Yeah I live near Pope John Paul II high school in Upper Providence Township. Only a couple miles from Royersford proper. To me it didn’t look much more than the 4 inches you got.

• Haha 1

I think the first half of Feb is about the worst possible winter pattern imaginable. Still cold and raw enough to not really be able to enjoy the outdoors but not cold enough for any snow threats, just endlessly slightly above normal temps(upper 40's) with zero snow chances. 2nd half of the month still looks on track to get into a better pattern but how much staying power will it have? Thinking it ends up being similar to the January good pattern. 10-14 days with multiple legit threats and hopefully we land 1 or 2 to get us close to average on the year. After that though, likely on to Spring...

7 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

I think the first half of Feb is about the worst possible winter pattern imaginable. Still cold and raw enough to not really be able to enjoy the outdoors but not cold enough for any snow threats, just endlessly slightly above normal temps(upper 40's) with zero snow chances. 2nd half of the month still looks on track to get into a better pattern but how much staying power will it have? Thinking it ends up being similar to the January good pattern. 10-14 days with multiple legit threats and hopefully we land 1 or 2 to get us close to average on the year. After that though, likely on to Spring...

Welcome to April come early!  Also when was the last time we had a backdoor cold front in February LOL.

1 hour ago, Duca892 said:

Can I ask a really novice question? Everyone’s hyping up this pattern change, but when will that be reflected with storm chances in the LR? It just looks rainy and warm?

Not sure what you're looking at TBH. 06z GFS A. doesn't even look all that "warm" unless you consider mid 40's "warm"...there's one day past day 10 that possibly gets into the 50s but who knows at that range. B. It doesn't look all that wet either save for a few showers tomorrow. The next major synoptic threat isn't until Feb. 15 which is likely the table setter for the pattern change. It's really not far off from a snowy solution but it's also 330 hours out so really no use hammering details at that range. First half of the month looks mostly slightly above normal temps(again mostly in the 40's) and dry. The storm on the 15th will likely be the first "threat" in the new pattern that could be wet or white, details TBD as it's 14 days out...the best potential lies after the 15th if LR ensemble guidance is to be believed at this range.

• Like 1

Below is the area climate summary for Chester County for the Month of January. Warwick Township was the chilliest and West Chester Airport the warmest.
Both East Nantmeal and West Chester finished with their 34th warmest January with 131 and 132 years of data respectively. Devault finished with their 27th warmest January with 123 years of record. West Chester finished with their 3rd wettest January and East Nantmeal and Devault both finished with it's 4th such first month of the year.
image.png.d6f27a7db596e23a46941a80bbe74bd6.png

5 hours ago, Duca892 said:

Can I ask a really novice question? Everyone’s hyping up this pattern change, but when will that be reflected with storm chances in the LR? It just looks rainy and warm?

This touted pattern change is going to require alot of patience...even more than usual. Big Aleutian low sets up around the 13th, wave breaks and NAO ridge builds a few days later in response to the big EPO ridge and +PNA that the Aleutian low triggers. I think Iceman is on the right track, but these setups generally don't yield meaningful wintry weather here until 5-7 days after the NAO pulses then starts to relax. So I could see a rainer around VD but a relative close call event as the NAO goes neg.....that system moves into the 50/50 region as the TPV wobbles around on the backside of the NAO domain ridging. Split flow out west kicks a STJ wave east around the 19th-20th......but given the progression of the pattern, realistically we are probably looking towards the 3rd week of Feb...few days after the 21st give or take, for a legit threat. That's how I'm seeing it anyway. 

Thats all I got....back to taking a break.

Patience.

• Like 1