Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 23-24' Wx Observations Thread

Carvers Gap

4 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Happy for you there man ! 

I could take about 8 to 10 hrs of non stop silver dollars lol

20 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Radarscope shows snow north of Jackson. Temps look to be between 34 and 32 to about I 40. We need @Itryatgolf70s observations in these pivotal hours. 

Snowing harder than chicken lips here in north jackson!! Half inch already. Very big flakes

• Like 5

Ok, @Carvers Gap @kvskelton @Icy Hot and any other Kingsport adjacent folks, what is going on here:

giphy.gif

Almost all those pixels make this look like it is coming off of Bays Mt, but a couple of frames show some hints that it might be coming from somewhere near Carter's Valley. We've seen this band during NW flow after storms sometimes, but today is unique. 

giphy.gif

Here is a zoomed in view with counties added:

giphy.gif

GOES 16 is so clear, I can see the point of Bays Mt there and Kingsport's urban sections around it. 

At the little swag in western Sullivan county there is a swag, for lack of a better term, in Bays Mt almost exactly where that radar echo is streaming:

oxybued.jpeg

That is a tiny feature, but Im wondering what is going on up there to cause that radar echo under what is almost a totally clear sky to my eyes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I tried all the windows I could think of on GOES channel of RAMMB/CIRA page and the only imagery I could find that had something a little different was splint window difference:

giphy.gif

Apparently that can be used to show moisture under clear skies. 

https://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/satellite-blog/archives/23702

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Ok, @Carvers Gap @kvskelton @Icy Hot and any other Kingsport adjacent folks, what is going on here:

giphy.gif

Almost all those pixels make this look like it is coming off of Bays Mt, but a couple of frames show some hints that it might be coming from somewhere near Carter's Valley. We've seen this band during NW flow after storms sometimes, but today is unique. 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

GOES 16 is so clear, I can see the point of Bays Mt there and Kingsport's urban sections around it. 

At the little swag in western Sullivan county there is a swag, for lack of a better term, in Bays Mt almost exactly where that radar echo is streaming:

oxybued.jpeg

That is a tiny feature, but Im wondering what is going on up there to cause that radar echo under what is almost a totally clear sky to my eyes. 

Wow. That's really strange. Hard to figure out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

oxybued.jpeg

Just wanted to say, I love these posts about little micro features.

• Like 3