Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, Pa Winter 2023-24 Thread.

meatwad

27 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Band in Ohio getting thicker. Hoping that can swing north a little. I got into a little heavier snow, but mostly on the outside looking in still. About a half inch so far 

Same, about half an inch, band is about 10 miles away. Looks like its trying to creep north and widen some too. Gonna be close. 

Winter Weather Advisory
for Allegheny County

Issued by National Weather Service
Pittsburgh, PA
8:10 PM EST Fri, Feb 16, 2024

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Snow. Additional snow accumulations between 2 and 4 inches.

* WHERE...Portions of northwest, southwest, and western Pennsylvania and northern West Virginia.

* WHEN...Until 7 AM EST Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Roads, and especially bridges and overpasses, will likely become slick and hazardous. Plan on slippery road conditions.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Be prepared for slippery roads. Slow down and use caution while driving. If you are going outside, watch your first few steps taken on stairs, sidewalks, and driveways. These surfaces could be icy and slippery, increasing your risk of a fall and injury.

Please report snow or ice accumulations by calling 412-262-1988, posting to the NWS Pittsburgh Facebook page, or using Twitter @NWSPittsburgh.

&&

7 minutes ago, meatwad said:

Winter Weather Advisory
for Allegheny County

Issued by National Weather Service
Pittsburgh, PA
8:10 PM EST Fri, Feb 16, 2024

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Snow. Additional snow accumulations between 2 and 4 inches.

* WHERE...Portions of northwest, southwest, and western Pennsylvania and northern West Virginia.

* WHEN...Until 7 AM EST Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Roads, and especially bridges and overpasses, will likely become slick and hazardous. Plan on slippery road conditions.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Be prepared for slippery roads. Slow down and use caution while driving. If you are going outside, watch your first few steps taken on stairs, sidewalks, and driveways. These surfaces could be icy and slippery, increasing your risk of a fall and injury.

Please report snow or ice accumulations by calling 412-262-1988, posting to the NWS Pittsburgh Facebook page, or using Twitter @NWSPittsburgh.

&&

2-4” additional!  This is overachieving.

I drove through that death band in the city.  279 from the north was completely covered and I passed one vehicle that had clearly spun around.  It was snowing so hard snow was accumulating on my hood while I was driving.  Massive dinner plate flakes.

Once I got beyond the Liberty tunnel you could see the subsidence.  Much worse dendrite growth and 19 in the South Hills was mostly just wet, excepting a few spots.  The snow started getting a bit heavier in Bethel beyond Mt. Lebo.

Just now, jwilson said:

I drove through that death band in the city.  279 from the north was completely covered and I passed one vehicle that had clearly spun around.  It was snowing so hard snow was accumulating on my hood while I was driving.  Massive dinner plate flakes.

Once I got beyond the Liberty tunnel you could see the subsidence.  Much worse dendrite growth and 19 in the South Hills was mostly just wet, excepting a few spots.  The snow started getting a bit heavier in Bethel beyond Mt. Lebo.

Someone in Brighton heights probably will hit warning criteria.

Airport looks like it’s been catching the northern fringe of the band. 

1.5” in the last two hours, with 2” total.

Steubenville/Wintersville area is about 25 miles southwest and is pushing 6”. Some of those types of totals will likely translate east. 

Definitely a nowcast storm. Certainly looked like the sweet spot would be further south.