Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Pretty impressive how accurate that is - I'm at the office this afternoon and got a nice dousing of rain. That cell to the west of Oxford soaked me. It did end with flakes mixed in. 

It is not doing so well to your East.  Snowing in Philly per my contact there.   I would guess 90% of the rain markers on there are snow.   But I was more pointing toward the coverage over 2/3 of the state.  One of the most impressive snow days of the season. 

What an afternoon!  I've had 3 separate snow squalls fly through here on pretty stiff winds.  This 3rd one, which ended about 5 minutes ago, was easily the heaviest with the lowest visibility of about a quarter mile.  My snowboard got enough accumulation for me to call it 0.1".  The first squall came through around 2:00 with probably the strongest wind gusts of over 30mph and the snow blowing around wildly.  That one was interesting because nearly all of the snow fell as snow pellets.  That one lasted long enough to whiten the ground / mulch.  The middle squall was the weakest, but still was accompanied by gusty winds and briefly heavy snow.  The temps were in the low 40's when the snow began but dropped to 34 during #1, and #3 dropped down to 33.  Looking at the radar it looks like more squalls may be on the way.  What a shock after 60's last week!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, canderson said:

heavy snow again sticking to mulch. Winds 58

You need to get out of Harrisburg if you hate wind...I have no idea how accurate this is, but I just found this online that supposedly is current:

Pennsylvania Wind Gust Map

I don't think (?) I've had anything even close to 40mph yet. 

You need to get out of Harrisburg if you hate wind...I have no idea how accurate this is, but I just found this online that supposedly is current:

Look at the KMDT obs . It must be funneling down the river. They’ve had multiple over 50 mph and currently at 46. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

Look at the KMDT obs . It must be funneling down the river. They’ve had multiple over 50 mph and currently at 46. 

You're absolutely right - and that was kind of my point. LNS is a good 10mph less than MDT on average. You live in a wind tunnel. :)  

• Like 2

You're absolutely right - and that was kind of my point. LNS is a good 10mph less than MDT on average. You live in a wind tunnel. :)  

It doesn’t help my house is so LOUD in wind. I don’t know why but it’s scary sounds! 

Just now, canderson said:

It doesn’t help my house is so LOUD in wind. I don’t know why but it’s scary sounds! 

My house is sorta protected from W/NW component winds...when they veer south, that's when I really notice it. When we get random tropical storms, I'm heading for the basement. 

• Like 1

Laurel’s are looking pretty rough, specifically on the US 22 corridor right now in Cambria at the top of the mountain above Altoona.

image.thumb.png.8affc8def9d77e6c0d68b1314e122543.png

Pretty wintry down here too, with a coating of snow on the ground and occasional heavier snow squalls blowing around. But roads are uncaved at the moment. Temp is 30ºF

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MAG5035 said:

Laurel’s are looking pretty rough, specifically on the US 22 corridor right now in Cambria at the top of the mountain above Altoona.

image.thumb.png.8affc8def9d77e6c0d68b1314e122543.png

Pretty wintry down here too, with a coating of snow on the ground and occasional heavier snow squalls blowing around. But roads are uncaved at the moment. Temp is 30ºF

The band up in NC PA streaming through just north of Lock Haven is impressive. SSW issued and honestly some training there, can imagine localized couple inch totals will come in there. 

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Up to .2" here now.  Everything covered except the roads.    Going to set the grass back even more.  I figured we would have a snowy day, but this is over top what I thought would happen down here.  Over 1" in in Pen Mar up the hill.   Top 10 23-24 winter day at this point.  

I need a fort Ritchie/pen mar pic. Awesome, nice squall that covered a lot of things here passed through a bit ago

• Like 1

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

I am tucked into my house down the hill but my tenant told me about the accum up.  Not going to ask them to snap a pic.  LOL 

Snowing here again now. Pretty fun day. The squall that came through earlier this afternoon when we were grabbing dunkin in the boro was sweet. Drove back through Blue ridge summit and got to enjoy it twice. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

That looks like it pulls the most recent hourly obs from the ASOS. Look at that 63 gust in Philly.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, canderson said:

More robust daytime heating at the surface over there probably resulted in higher wind gusts mixing down this afternoon. High res guidance increases the winds aloft overnight into the early part of the day tomorrow. So similar gusts are likely to continue. 

My high gust at home today is 32.4mph and most of the ASOS and RWIS around here (KAOO, KJST, etc have had max gusts in the 45mph range so far. 

My high gust at home today is 32.4mph and most of the ASOS and RWIS around here (KAOO, KJST, etc have had max gusts in the 45mph range so far. 

How about now? I feel like I could articulate a plastic bag, jump, and be at your place in about three minutes with this wind.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk