• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

One thing to keep in mind concerning the temps.  Average high temps this time of the year are quite a bit higher than some people might think.   46 at MDT.  Although it reached 61 at MDT yesterday it was only the 5th warmest day of the month when looking at it from a departure sense.  It was warmer Feb 2nd and the 9th-11th. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

One thing to keep in mind concerning the temps.  Average high temps this time of the year are quite a bit higher than some people might think.   46 at MDT.  Although it reached 61 at MDT yesterday it was only the 5th warmest day of the month when looking at it from a departure sense.  It was warmer Feb 2nd and the 9th-11th. 

Great info - so, we've had 5 days this month with a daily high at least 15 degrees AN? That's impressive. Today will be #6. 

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Great info - so, we've had 5 days this month with a daily high at least 15 degrees AN? That's impressive. Today will be #6. 

Not a daily high 15AN a daily temp AN as ranked by amount.  I was looking at the daily departures per day.  Yesterday was the 5th highest for Feb.   Someone who said Spring has Sprung on Feb 1 would have a valid argument despite the wet snow on a couple days. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Not a daily high 15AN a daily temp AN as ranked by amount.  I was looking at the daily departures per day.  Yesterday was the 5th highest for Feb.   Someone who said Spring has Sprung on Feb 1 would have a valid argument despite the wet snow on a couple days. 

Okay, that makes sense. I knew it was warm but didn't think it was THAT warm. LOL

1 minute ago, Jns2183 said:

Meanwhile20240228_085212.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I've been reading the AFD's for out there - I had to laugh when they mentioned that "snowfall rates would be 2-3"/hour on Friday...and then on Friday night into early Saturday, we expect to see heavier snow move in with amounts reaching 5"/hour or more. 

2 to 3"/hour rates out there are considered pedestrian. :)  

• Haha 1

I've been reading the AFD's for out there - I had to laugh when they mentioned that "snowfall rates would be 2-3"/hour on Friday...and then on Friday night into early Saturday, we expect to see heavier snow move in with amounts reaching 5"/hour or more. 
2 to 3"/hour rates out there are considered pedestrian.   
It seems we need them to enter a snow drought for us to flourish

0.15" of rain since yesterday so far here in East Nantmeal. We should see a couple rounds of heavy rain today. The first around the lunchtime hour and the 2nd with the cold frontal passage toward the 7pm hour. Some spots could see over 1/2 inch of rain today. Temps will again soar to near 60 degrees before the front passes. Behind the front winds will increase to near 40mph and temps will plunge from near 60 degrees at around 7pm to near freezing by 11pm. Tomorrow we will stay in the below normal 30's before our next warm up gets underway on Friday.
County wide records for today: High 73 Devault and Phoenixville (1997) / Low 16 below Phoenixville (1934) / Rain 1.82" Coatesville (1902) / Snow 7.5" Coatesville (2005)
image.png.a943b94a4acfaa90e33ca7f77bf9c348.png
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jns2183 said:

Also bring out there for one of these storms in on my bucket list

We arrived on May 15th. I wanted to see snow but didn't want to run the risk of getting stranded. We had so much on our list and as much as I would have loved to stay longer...just too much to see out west. When we made our plans we obviously had no idea we would be going at the end of the most epic Sierra snow season in recorded history. Had we gone just 4 weeks sooner there was nearly 80" more on the ground from when we were there. 

• Like 1

We arrived on May 15th. I wanted to see snow but didn't want to run the risk of getting stranded. We had so much on our list and as much as I would have loved to stay longer...just too much to see out west. When we made our plans we obviously had no idea we would be going at the end of the most epic Sierra snow season in recorded history. Had we gone just 4 weeks sooner there was nearly 80" more on the ground from when we were there. 
I yearn to be blasted by 12 hours of 5" rates and 80mph winds. Find a resort hotel that is 10 stories high to really experience that wind then switch out to a chalet during the pedestrian 2-3"/hr rates. Have enough groceries for a week, booze for two weeks, and finish them all in 4 days

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

ABC-27 still mentions that snow squalls are possible overnight. that could put down a coating of snow. They are unsure if theywill develope or not. But they are giving a heads up to people traveling overnight tonight.

12Z HRRR Gives far northern Dauphin County 2 panels of snow. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Why does thunder seem louder with elevated instability in the mornings than any other storm type or time?

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

We have spoken about this before, but I thought it was louder at night! 

I think you're both right - I always thought it was loudest from overnight through the following morning. I can remember some incredibly loud storms in the 2am - 10am timeframe over the years. 

• Like 1

My daughter text me about 730 with a picture of her dog in the bath tub. 
I have two golden retrievers, one reposed, one still with us, both used the space between the shitter and the wall as their thunder buddy.

The living dog is probably the largest golden on record. He probably tips the scales at around 130 lbs. Remarkably he's not a fat dog. Watching him squeeze his big ass under and behind the can is hilarious.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Haha 2