Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Sort of....Huevos Rancheros.  LOL.  It is at Baltimore and Middle.   I actually looked at the menu for Starlight but not much there for us after breakfast. 

I never noticed it and I've been thru that intersection many times. In fact, just in Links Music the other day which is a couple doors down from Middle on Baltimore. 

17 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The snow there is progged to slip south of us over here but it has been running a bit farther north and east than progged.  If quick enough maybe you see some flakes.

image.thumb.png.8abbbe090aca612348f522d05b81d080.png

Thanks. Yeah I was wondering if we might encounter some flakes on the way out. Always an interesting drive west on the turnpike ha. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It is pretty plain looking but all reviews say it is authentic vs the El Rodeo beans and cheese type meals.

image.thumb.png.0847ea0b607f1e277510441fd3fb56b4.png

I was just looking at their Google site. The menu is in Spanish.  Have you been there before? Wondering if they have an English menu. I  agree the reviews look great. Let me know if you're still alive after going there!

12 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I was just looking at their Google site. The menu is in Spanish.  Have you been there before? Wondering if they have an English menu. I  agree the reviews look great. Let me know if you're still alive after going there!

They do have an English menu.  Will let you know if we make it there. This would be the first visit.   Some possible options with the day so not sure yet.   If I get Montezuma's Revenge that is my fault.  I lived in Philly for 10 years and took subways and busses to work.  Every inch of Hanover is a treat compared to that. 

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

They do have an English menu.  Will let you know if we make it there. s this would be the first visit.   Some possible options with the day so not sure yet.   If I get Montezuma's Revenge that is my fault.  I lived in Philly for 10 years and took subways and busses to work.  Every inch of Hanover is a treat compared to that. 

My reference to life was regarding the food. I doubt you have to worry about crime in that part of town during daylight hours since Baltimore Street is always stop and go with cars lined up. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

My reference to life was regarding the food. I doubt you have to worry about crime in that part of town during daylight hours since Baltimore Street is always stop and go with cars lined up. 

The famous Hanover traffic.  Lol.   I have a friend who lives in Fairfax VA and avoids Hanover because of the traffic (really a ton of lights as much as traffic)

31 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The famous Hanover traffic.  Lol.   I have a friend who lives in Fairfax VA and avoids Hanover because of the traffic (really a ton of lights as much as traffic)

There's an easy was around it. When my daughter first talked about moving up here, I found a way around it which I  still use since I'm a mile and a half north of downtown. Plus, if you need to get downtown, there are a number of streets that parallel Baltimore Street you can take that will intersect Middle Street.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, anotherman said:

I just think it’s funny how people in central PA perceive urban areas. I have coworkers who are terrified to go into Lancaster city. What?

I remember when I  was in law school, for 2 years I walked back and forth from school located within sight of Penn Station down to St. Paul Place near Mercy Hospital where I was a law clerk, then over to Howard Street to wait for my transit bus at the  end of the day (daylight and night.) That's a trip I  would not try making now.

I've never been off Rt. 30 in Lancaster, so I  have no idea what the city is like. I've been to the hospital in York coming from Hanover, and it looks so-so in a few spots, but for the most part nothing that would make me concerned to be outside.  A lot of crimes on strangers to the perpetrators is bad luck or doing something stupid to draw attention to yourself. 

I remember when I  was in law school, for 2 years I walked back and forth from school located within sight of Penn Station down to St. Paul Place near Mercy Hospital where I was a law clerk, then over to Howard Street to wait for my transit bus at the  end of the day (daylight and night.) That's a trip I  would not try making now.
I've never been off Rt. 30 in Lancaster, so I  have no idea what the city is like. I've been to the hospital in York coming from Hanover, and it looks so-so in a few spots, but for the most part nothing that would make me concerned to be outside.  A lot of crimes on strangers to the perpetrators is bad luck or doing something stupid to draw attention to yourself. 

I’m more commenting on the fear that exists when it comes to urban areas. Having common sense and avoiding dangerous areas makes sense, but avoiding all urban areas is unfortunate.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, anotherman said:

I just think it’s funny how people in central PA perceive urban areas. I have coworkers who are terrified to go into Lancaster city. What?

I had a coworker who lived in Perry County who wouldn’t drive into HBG. Her husband would drive her in, pick her up, she wouldn’t leave the office even for lunches around town.  It blew my mind. 

1 hour ago, mitchnick said:

We’re in NYC monthly and walk all over at all times of day and night. The media outlets that say repeatedly Manhattan is a hellscape is propaganda for a reason and my parents think we will be murdered every time we go into the city. It’s maddening. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mitchnick said:

There's an easy was around it. When my daughter first talked about moving up here, I found a way around it which I  still use since I'm a mile and a half north of downtown. Plus, if you need to get downtown, there are a number of streets that parallel Baltimore Street you can take that will intersect Middle Street.

Nooners at la libertad. Menu has Spanish on one side and English on the other.  Defintely want authentic Mexican if you came here.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Nooners at la libertad. Menu has Spanish on one side and English on the other.  Defintely want authentic Mexican if you came here.

I didn't see the english version posted online. Maybe it's there and I  didn't look hard enough.  Sure would save a trip to Montezuma's if the place is as good as the reviews say.

6 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I didn't see the english version posted online. Maybe it's there and I  didn't look hard enough.  Sure would save a trip to Montezuma's if the place is as good as the reviews say.

I found it, or an abridged version. 

• Like 1

2:45p: Temperatures in Williamsport. We are cold up here vs the rest of you. Only 34 at the airport. I see we are going down to 19 overnight. Looking at the 14 day forecast, the coldest night is 24. I would not be surprised if we don't make it back into the teens again this winter. Next two weeks have lots of 50s and even some 60s. We shall see. I just hope we don't have a hot summer. I saw last week that whatever they call it designated hurricane creation zone in the Atlantic was at July temps now, a first. Yikes! Last month I saw temp map of Australia that was all light brown, that was how hot it was there. Enjoying the sun up here, that's for sure, after so little of it recently.

I was outside around 2-3 am last night before going to bed had some rain mixed with wet snow. looked on radar and was like yep didnt think anything was said too happen last night. It was like 33 didnt amount to much just damp. Woke up at 7 things were still a bit damp. had to throw a few more logs on the fire today. Only went through 30% of firewood for the season. Plenty of left over wood for many bonfires come summer spring 

• Like 1