Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

11 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

For this Jan 6th chance, the Euro was fairly consistent recently until today when it had some back tracking.  The GFS has been consistently driving a presence up into the Ohio Valley in different iterations over the past 36 hours except the 12Z Jan 1 run.  This 18Z run is quite different than even the 12Z run yesterday.    I think as of now, the front piece of energy (with the back being the cutter next week) is losing it ummph and changing the eventual results on the fly.   The high and 50/50 to our North is pushing it more on this 18Z run.   24 hours ago, the GFS had a 998 low in the Ohio Valley transferring to a sub 990 low on the coast.  On the 18Z GFS today it never gets below 999 and actually came damn close to leaving us all high and dry.   And, of course, it is moving MUCH faster.  12-18 hours faster. 

I am not able to guess what the result will be beyond saying all options seem on the board still.  That is a cop out answer, sorry.  

It's not a cop out, it's a well penned and thought out explanation. And accurate.

• Like 1

Hello all!  I live in DC but I have a kid that is a freshman at Penn State.  I am scheduled to drive to State College on the 7th, the first day the dorms are open for students to return.  As it is my first time driving to State College in winter weather, can you help me know what to expect on snow totals and the roads?  I really appreciate it!

8 minutes ago, TinGTown said:

Hello all!  I live in DC but I have a kid that is a freshman at Penn State.  I am scheduled to drive to State College on the 7th, the first day the dorms are open for students to return.  As it is my first time driving to State College in winter weather, can you help me know what to expect on snow totals and the roads?  I really appreciate it!

Shouldn't have a problem.  Heavy snow should be overvlate Saturday night.

23 minutes ago, Coop_Mason said:

Bring us some good news sir 

Today, the Ops & ensembles still show Warning level snow for most of CTP. The high end foot plus amounts have now been reduced, but are still showing a Warning level event for most. This is mainly due to the speed of the Storm & reduced precipitation amounts.

Most of the Op runs have still have Harrisburg near 8 inches of snow, which would be a fantastic way to get our Winter going!

Here is a recap of the 12z & 18z Global Ops today.

IMG_3983.png

IMG_3988.png

IMG_3993.png

IMG_3994.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Today, the Ops & ensembles still show Warning level snow for most of CTP. The high end foot plus amounts have now been reduced, but are still showing a Warning level event for most. This is mainly due to the speed of the Storm & reduced precipitation amounts.

Most of the Op runs have still have Harrisburg near 8 inches of snow, which would be a fantastic way to get our Winter going!

Here is a recap of the 12z & 18z Global Ops today.

IMG_3983.png

IMG_3988.png

IMG_3993.png

IMG_3994.png

The Canadian actually keeps the foot in play for many. Maybe it will be right for a change?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

MU finally said something about the weekend: "snow lovers should keep expectations in check" 

Also indicated that the pattern does NOT match the model outputs.

Detailed analysis tomorrow.

Well this ruins the evening.  

Just now, anotherman said:

Me to Elliott:
giphy.gif

Also, the pattern has changed & this potential event fits the new pattern.

”Expectations in check” likely means don’t expect a foot like some Ops showed yesterday.

A Warning level event is certainly on the table, but average amounts will probably be closer to 6 instead of 12 at this time, so my expectations are certainly in check, Lol!

• Like 1

18z GEFS mean still involved most of PA but was def lean on QPF.

Total QPF mean

image.thumb.png.609e78da7de91bc87916c0a322a50d0d.png

Let’s have a look more specifically. Here’s MDT’s 24hr snowfall on the individual members. 

image.thumb.png.0c874edab1120b306df106dc33a783c2.png

The majority show at least advisory snowfall, while only about 1/3 crack warning criteria (5”). And there’s about 8 members that would be sub-advisory type snowfall. This was a really progressive run on the GFS/GEFS this go around. Is it right? I dunno.. Usually Gulf lows find a way to have a nice precip shield with it and I think this might have went a bit far on the dry side. The more progressive/less QPF trend was noted just about everything today though. This thing is just starting to come onshore on the west coast, so the next few runs will be interesting to see. 

• Like 3

Also, the pattern has changed & this potential event fits the new pattern.
”Expectations in check” likely means don’t expect a foot like some Ops showed yesterday.
A Warning level event is certainly on the table, but average amounts will probably be closer to 6 instead of 12 at this time, so my expectations are certainly in check, Lol!
I'm thinking Elliott is thinking it swings a little under and to the right more than a rainer.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk