Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023 General Discussion

michsnowfreak

1 hour ago, Frog Town said:

Stebo, I've always respected your opinion and insight into the weather. 

What are you thoughts on what the teleconnections are showing towards the end of December?  I'm getting that feeling we are chasing a ghost as things continue to get pushed back.  

57 minutes ago, Stebo said:

We might be, but there is definitely a signal of a strong Pacific Jet that could flush the pattern a bit late in the month, whether or not that means something positive for us, remains to be seen. It does seem like we are chasing that elusive cooldown though.

I don't feel we are chasing anything wrt a pattern change as we end Dec and start Jan. A mild Dec was well forecast and is a given in a strong Nino. Seems like everything remains on track for a flushing of the pattern (which usually causes a lag in sensible weather/cold). Next week looks cooler and Christmas week milder than they did, say, a week ago...but everything seems on track for a notable change for the eastern half of the country as we start January.

Now what that means for us....stay tuned. As we head deeper into winter, a map full of blue temps is far less important than systems and storm tracks themselves. 

• Like 1

I don't feel we are chasing anything wrt a pattern change as we end Dec and start Jan. A mild Dec was well forecast and is a given in a strong Nino. Seems like everything remains on track for a flushing of the pattern (which usually causes a lag in sensible weather/cold). Next week looks cooler and Christmas week milder than they did, say, a week ago...but everything seems on track for a notable change for the eastern half of the country as we start January.

Now what that means for us....stay tuned. As we head deeper into winter, a map full of blue temps is far less important than systems and storm tracks themselves. 

Euro has consistently pointed to a favorable pattern January and beyond.

• Like 1

A December soaker today on frozen ground left snow cover in patches. Colder air now beginning to move back in with a few inches of snow expected locally (several inches more just west in the favorable NW flow.)

Notice the deer are still hanging around eating acorns from the oaks around my peak.  They look healthy heading into Winter.

StormTotalSnow_MQT.thumb.png.a69123c3b234cc22711e833ac745eb95.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

Looks like we have more palm tree weather than winter weather this year. I’ll definitely take this any day it’s delivered as each day like this makes one less cold day possible and one more day closer to spring.

f3349ec5d2e28dfea948176dd1917673.jpg

You’ve really lowered the bar if that’s considered palm tree weather. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

I still have unprotected palms out as an experiment this winter. Windmill palms and needle palms don’t blink twice at any of the forecasted temps.

ed7f2b60ae98574952064a1334390d68.jpg

Glad they aren’t succumbing to the cold. Did you have anything outside during the January 2019 cold snap? Wasn’t that the last deep cold in Milwaukee?

For me this time of year I’d define “palm tree weather” as days within 3 degrees of a record high. 

Glad they aren’t succumbing to the cold. Did you have anything outside during the January 2019 cold snap? Wasn’t that the last deep cold in Milwaukee?

For me this time of year I’d define “palm tree weather” as days within 3 degrees of a record high. 

I didn’t have anything outside 2019 winter. I had a windmill palm that got over 15 feet tall in ground from 2008-2018 that I finally wasn’t able to protect because I needed scaffolding or boom lift. So I let it go. Now I’m getting back to stuff in the ground and experimenting with how much they can take.

94af7f7a34f8517727d7844cc9a259ac.jpg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Your doing better than me. The dry spell continues. What a difference from last Dec. Duluth ended up breaking it's monthly snowfall record.

About 20 yrs ago (03/04 I think), we had little snow otg, and by Feb septic systems all over NE MN were failing. Drain fields were freezing up due to deep frost. Water mains were routinely breaking due to frost heaves. It wasn't even that cold of a winter, pretty avg/above with very little below zero temps. Septic services couldn't keep up with the pumping demand. They made a lot of money though.

• Sad 2