Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread

The Alchemist

43 minutes ago, Rainforrest said:

5.59 since midnight. Transylvania county under a flood warning. 

I need a "WOW" emoji to choose from in the list of reaction icons on each post, but there's not one. I will have to go with this emoji inside the body of a reply: :flood:

Oh, and I just broke the 2-inch threshold IMBY.

• Like 1

Couldn't make it in to work (ICC) I-26 is flooding at the bottom of the mountain near the Columbus NC exit. Took Hwy 176 back home to Saluda and can't believe how much water is on the road and how fast the waterfalls are running.  This is like a tropical system getting caught in the southern Apps.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wncsnow said:

The Catawba has risen over 3 feet in less than 2 hours. Now at 7 feet. I'm thinking 10-12 feet seem likely. Hopefully not higher than that. 

I’m downstream on lake hickory and I’ve already seen some dangerous currents and big debris. The lake was lowered a bit this week but it’ll be ripping over the dam soon if it’s not already. 

• Like 1

Over 2.3 inches now IMBY.

I will retract my comment about closing schools for a rainstorm. It may not be too bad here (yet), but the mountain counties seem to really be taking a beating based on the comments above. This could really wash out some roads and sides of mountains up there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

I will retract my comment about closing schools for a rainstorm. It may not be too bad here (yet), but the mountain counties seem to really be taking a beating based on the comments above. This could really wash out some roads and sides of mountains up there.

Yeah the river here has risen a lot probably the most it's risen in 2 years... That makes a lot of people uncomfortable around here. Going from severe drought to severe flooding is unnerving here in Haywood. 

Out driving around and any low spot in a road not near Creek has water rushing over it.

• Like 1