• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2023 OBS/Discussion Thread

Rtd208

A mild cloudy day ahead for Chester County today we should see highs in the above normal mid to upper 60's. Rain looks to stay to our east this AM with rain chances increasing after 5pm tonight. Drying out tomorrow and windy and chilly on both Sunday and Monday with temps remaining below normal from tomorrow through Tuesday. Above normal temps return by Tuesday and we should stay warm through the end of next week.
Records for today: High 82 (1969) / Low 21 (1972) / Rain 2.48" (1988)
image.png.4d721737e819758b0fb953d3fec235cf.png

Since the season has been transitioning, have been getting my potted tropicals/subtropicals/tender perennials ready to bring in (and/or have started bringing them in). My highs have continued to warm with a 65, 67 & 69 respectively from Wed. -> Fri. after respective varying lows of 48, 42, & 54, dependent on how much radiational cooling was achieved.

I ended up with 0.04" of rain with the morning round on Friday and with some promising later rain with the solid line, I got one huge NADA (yes the below attached was the look just before heading off to bed and it resulted in Phillies-style strikeouts)! :axe: 

Am hoping the coastal that is forming with backwash over me some. 

In any case, it's currently a humid 56 with dp 55.

kdix_20231021_0158_BR_0.41.png

Not much rain from our latest event...only 0.06" here in East Nantmeal but it looks like almost a 1/2 inch of rain fell in some spots including Exton. Temps will struggle today to get above 60 degrees. We will see below normal temps through Tuesday before some above normal readings by the end of the week. Lows on Monday night will be in the 30's with some patchy frost possible in some of the lower spots.
Records for today: High 85 (1947) / Low 19 (1922) / Rain 3.13" (1904)
image.png.30cd8b52fdf2e77d77580df014b1ff88.png

Well below normal temps today with a chilly wind but a gradual warmup which may lead to near 70 degree readings by the end of this week. Could be a bit of patchy frost in the lower spots of the county by Tuesday morning. Looks likely we see a sharp turn to colder in time for Halloween.
Records for today: High 84 (1979) / Low 22 (1940) / Rain 2.12" (1956)
image.png.9a8854cb30514fc3cb6835980618c3a9.png

Below is a analysis of our first freezes by decade here in Chester County from the 1890's to 2020's. The average first freeze date is October 24th since the move to over 650ft ASL and it was October 14th at the relatively lower elevations ~400 ft ASL prior to 1983. Looking ahead it appears our first chance at a below freezing day at least in the higher spots will be during the first few days of November. Although, we might see some frost in lower spots by Tuesday AM.image.png.ea3c2cee2cfced9e64206cd07f2f7708.png

A beautiful weather week ahead with a possible frosty start for some spots tomorrow morning before a solid warming trend could see many spots reaching the low 70's by Thursday. The warm weather should continue through the weekend before turning much colder to close out the month as we move into November.
Records for today: High 85 (1947) / Low 22 (1969) / Rain 2.81" (1912)
image.png.15de7b4bd0d342efbf611c54f8243e3b.png

Most spots across Chester County below 500ft ASL saw frost and even several reports of sub-freezing temps. Of course here in East Nantmeal and other relatively higher spots we could do no lower than 38.7. However, it was our first reading in the 30's since back on May 18th when we bottomed out at 35.9. The rest of this week will feature well above normal temps in the mid 70's....while warm it will not be close to record levels which range between 79 and 84 for the remainder of October. A quick turn to much colder weather looks increasingly likely as we reach the start of November.
Records for today: High 84 (1900) / Low 23 (1969) / Rain 2.03" (1917)
Go Phillies!!! I DO need a new avatar!!!
image.png.b740c0d8fa62187a762a914e91d44011.png

Sad day for sure for this long time Phillies Phan! but the beauty of the game is hope will spring eternal come March! Thank you Phils for a great year!!
Back to weather - 13 of the last 17 days have featured below normal temperatures including yesterday. That all changes starting today and lasting through Sunday with our high temps reaching the 70's before a turn to much colder in time for Halloween. With the exception of some possible morning fog with the longer nights and mild readings...we look to stay dry till at least Sunday.
Records for today: High 80 (1900) / Low 22 (1952) / Rain 2.31" (1980)
13 of the last 17 days have featured below normal temperatures including yesterday. That all changes starting today and lasting through Sunday with our high temps reaching the 70's before a turn to much colder in time for Halloween. With the exception of some possible morning fog with the longer nights and mild readings...we look to stay dry till at least Sunday.
image.png.b8588386c72eea565d796ba6942fd476.png

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

No winter 23-24 outlook thread?  Surprised...per all the very good Philly area mets.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong subforum.

I'm going to go out on a limb and call for more snow than we had last year! I normally don't predict weather and when I do I'm usually wrong, so you can blame me if we get shut out, lol. Looks potentially interesting though.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ChescoWx said:
Sad day for sure for this long time Phillies Phan! but the beauty of the game is hope will spring eternal come March! Thank you Phils for a great year!!
Back to weather - 13 of the last 17 days have featured below normal temperatures including yesterday. That all changes starting today and lasting through Sunday with our high temps reaching the 70's before a turn to much colder in time for Halloween. With the exception of some possible morning fog with the longer nights and mild readings...we look to stay dry till at least Sunday.
13 of the last 17 days have featured below normal temperatures including yesterday. That all changes starting today and lasting through Sunday with our high temps reaching the 70's before a turn to much colder in time for Halloween. With the exception of some possible morning fog with the longer nights and mild readings...we look to stay dry till at least Sunday.
image.png.b8588386c72eea565d796ba6942fd476.png

Observations- the lack of a good closer killed them as I been telling people that guy is going to kill them in the playoffs like Mitch Williams. The other problem is being a one dimensional power hitting team swinging for the fences is another killer in the playoffs where good pitching can keep the ball down. The Diamondbacks simply made the adjustments in pitching Houston did in last year's World Series. Why Atlanta failed at is a mystery. They need contact hitting count working talent in the worst way to compliment the power hitters.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, RedSky said:

Observations- the lack of a good closer killed them as I been telling people that guy is going to kill them in the playoffs like Mitch Williams. The other problem is being a one dimensional power hitting team swinging for the fences is another killer in the playoffs where good pitching can keep the ball down. The Diamondbacks simply made the adjustments in pitching Houston did in last year's World Series. Why Atlanta failed at is a mystery. They need contact hitting count working talent in the worst way to compliment the power hitters.

You could see Kimbrel wearing down...just can't believe Topper went back to the well with him on Friday night! Still a great year...they may go down as one of the most liked teams in Philly history across all sports! Now if they can mix in a Championship over the next couple years that would seal the deal! Folks are hurting this week...but I suspect by March folks will be ready for some baseball!!!

Today should be several degrees warmer than yesterday with the warmth peaking by Saturday. At least for Chester County any record highs look beyond reach as those records are in the low 80's. Cooler air spreads into the area by Monday with temps falling to well below normal again by next week. We may see higher spots by next Wednesday struggling to get out of the low 40's with our first widespread freeze potential increasing by that time...so enjoy the warmth the next few days!
Records for today: High 79 (1963) / Low 24 (1950) / Rain 2.35" (1943)
image.png.22bf01313e0ea4065efe7491b0914893.png

1 hour ago, ChescoWx said:

You could see Kimbrel wearing down...just can't believe Topper went back to the well with him on Friday night! Still a great year...they may go down as one of the most liked teams in Philly history across all sports! Now if they can mix in a Championship over the next couple years that would seal the deal! Folks are hurting this week...but I suspect by March folks will be ready for some baseball!!!

As long as the Ealges do good this is a minor incnvenience to many.  Look at last year. 

• Like 2