Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 26 Severe Weather

nwohweather

28 minutes ago, frostfern said:

Umm.  I don’t live at the airport.  There were some very disorganized clusters with occasional CG lightning about 3-4 miles south and east.   Just downpours and soft rumbles from tiny cells right here.  Similar to what has happened previously.  Wanting CGs close enough to see is not the same as wanting an EF5.  Ugh.

Just poking some fun.  I know it's disappointing to miss out on good CG.  Just look at my screen name :lol:.  July has been so much better than May/June.  After living in several locations I have found that some years you win and others you're just not ground zero.  There are still 2-3 months of potential ahead. August and September have some of my favorite Thunderstorm event memories.

6 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Classic Michigan underperformance... again.

I'm not upset about this one not being there today.   I don't think my family knows how to run the generator :lol:

Friday evening looks pretty good for some good thunderstorms.

16 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Underperformance indeed...

Yes there was severe weather.  The overall results where an underperformer compared to the majority of the the potential that was being modeled.  He is not belittling the areas that were hit but rather pointing out it was expected to be much worse.

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

There's been more severe action here in the northern/east of 75 burbs the past 10 days, than what seems like the last 10 years combined. As always, even with good parameters in place, weather can still be unpredictable, and underwhelming, especially in these parts. I think some get too caught up in the hype and then are quick to call bust when there isn't as big of an outbreak as modeled. Just like in the winter, gotta take what the models show with a grain of salt.

10 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

There's been more severe action here in the northern/east of 75 burbs the past 10 days, than what seems like the last 10 years combined. As always, even with good parameters in place, weather can still be unpredictable, and underwhelming, especially in these parts. I think some get too caught up in the hype and then are quick to call bust when there isn't as big of an outbreak as modeled. Just like in the winter, gotta take what the models show with a grain of salt.

Just like last week, this was a solid episode by all accounts for a major metro area that doesn't get these significant severe weather events often.

Given the videos and damage pictures I've seen, not to mention the fact that there are well over 100K people without power, describing this as a underpeformance is kind of silly and tone deaf.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Just like last week, this was a solid episode by all accounts for a major metro area that doesn't get these significant severe weather events often.

Given the videos and damage pictures I've seen, not to mention the fact that there are well over 100K people without power, describing this as a underpeformance is kind of silly and tone deaf.

Agreed. I think some are so spoiled with awesome tornado vids people post on here, that when there isn't a tornado outbreak, or a derecho with 100 mph winds, it's auto bust. 60+ mph winds and ping pong hail here is like an ef5 tornado in tornado alley. It'll only take 30+ yrs of living with ZZZzz weather for people to realize how today wasn't a bust.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

Just thinking is it the caliber of storm where its the only news story covered at 5pm and they have people calling in with those slideshows of big trees toppled. Judging by that I'd say it was.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stebo said:

Judging by how widespread the rain and storms were there in GRR's area I have a hard time believing you didn't get a good thunderstorm

The closest strong storms were 10 miles north and like 30 miles south with the stuff that came around noon.  The gap started to fill in with small showers overhead, but they weren’t producing much lightning, just hard rain.  The late afternoon training cells were south of me by at least 5 miles.  I heard distant booms but couldn’t see anything as it just wasn’t very close.  I got a few hard showers early on but the show was mostly from the airport south and east.  Airport is 5 miles southeast of me.  

• Weenie 1

4 hours ago, Lightning said:

I'm not upset about this one not being there today.   I don't think my family knows how to run the generator :lol:

Friday evening looks pretty good for some good thunderstorms.

I’m not upset about missing wind.  My favorite storms are those where its perfectly still with big bolts cracking close by before the rain hits.  Elevated nocturnal storms are my favorite.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, frostfern said:

I’m not upset about missing wind.  My favorite storms are those where its perfectly still with big bolts cracking close by before the rain hits.  Elevated nocturnal storms are my favorite.

Right there with you. :thumbsup: I have only seen a handful of CG.  Nothing close (we had a couple a but I was looking the wrong direction of course).  I am also waiting for one of those great CG events.  Nocturnal training events are my favorite.  15-20 minute severe weather events are definitely fun but couple hour nocturnal events are what I prefer too.:D  Sadly they have been MIA in our area in recent years.:cry:

11 hours ago, frostfern said:

The closest strong storms were 10 miles north and like 30 miles south with the stuff that came around noon.  The gap started to fill in with small showers overhead, but they weren’t producing much lightning, just hard rain.  The late afternoon training cells were south of me by at least 5 miles.  I heard distant booms but couldn’t see anything as it just wasn’t very close.  I got a few hard showers early on but the show was mostly from the airport south and east.  Airport is 5 miles southeast of me.  

The airport got over an inch of rain with several thunderstorms, there is no way you were missed.

3 minutes ago, frostfern said:

Missed by lightning dumbass.  Yes it rained.  Ugh.

Oh right, lightning doesn't travel 5 miles, silly me I forgot. It's not like all the storms last night didnt have a ton of lightning everywhere including massive CC spider lightning.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Oh right, lightning doesn't travel 5 miles, silly me I forgot. It's not like all the storms last night didnt have a ton of lightning everywhere including massive CC spider lightning.

It was a poor show.  Low clouds blocked the view of any anvil crawlers and CGs were distant.  I was waiting to make video but nothing was worthy.  Disbelieve me all you want, but purposely twisting my words in order to pull a “gotcha” isn’t clever trolling.

• Haha 1

Just now, frostfern said:

It was a poor show.  Low clouds blocked the view of any anvil crawlers and CGs were distant.  I was waiting to make video but nothing was worthy.  Disbelieve me all you want, but purposely twisting my words in order to pull a “gotcha” isn’t clever trolling.

Its not a gotcha, I just don't see how its possible.

1 minute ago, Stebo said:

Its not a gotcha, I just don't see how its possible.

I don’t see the point of this argument.  I don’t care about your definition of “miss” vs “no miss” in terms of rain and distant thunder since that isn’t my criteria but yours.  It wasn’t electrically cooperative near me.  I also only got 0.5” for the day.  I live northwest of the airport, as most of the city is northwest of the airport.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Powerball said:

What's funny is that in hindsight, yesterday did play out quite similar to what's depicted in your post...

Yes it did lol wanted a throwback analog instead of a more recent one. Just not quite as powerful. That one in 2004 was pretty crazy growing up. Had a bad flood in my neighborhood at the time as-well. Pitch black followed by dark green skies. Family would tell me it reminded them of the great Green Storm of the 80s