Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2023 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

5 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

October tornado would be interesting 

I was thinking more the period from Aug 25 to Sep 7 in 2018.  There were a few tornadoes on Sep 1, but it was mostly a ton of lightning and heavy rain.  I don’t know what it takes to get that kind of low-level jet with 70+ dews repeatedly surging up into MI vs stalling near the southern border as is more typical.  If there was an easy way to access the data I’d look it up.  I suspect something was going on in the Western Pacific, like recurving typhoons, but don’t know.  It was atypical as the previous summer was pretty dry from what I recall.

In any case, I think I’d much rather go on a spring chase vacation on the plains to witness a tornado.  

• Like 2

Hunga Tonga volcano had low sulfur content / high water, kind of the opposite of normal, so instead of cooling we get warming. saw 10-15% increase in stratospheric h2o content. this+nino, going to be very interesting to see how this unfolds for the next several seasons. 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

On 8/7/2023 at 4:06 PM, SolidIcewx said:

Yeah the precursor to our epic winter that followed

I’m having trouble looking forward to winter.  Last year had some huge lake effect storms that made people not in the lake effect zones jealous, but there were also a ton of days with solid clouds and temps in the 30s.  The constant darkness and gloom just gets to me after a while.  I love snowstorms, but I get really tired of the endless gloomy periods.

7 minutes ago, frostfern said:

I’m having trouble looking forward to winter.  Last year had some huge lake effect storms that made people not in the lake effect zones jealous, but there were also a ton of days with solid clouds and temps in the 30s.  The constant darkness and gloom just gets to me after a while.  I love snowstorms, but I get really tired of the endless gloomy periods.

I’m the same way when it comes to gloomy conditions. But when the sun is out I have energy like a bat outta hell. Hope for some big snows but focus is still on the warm weather for now. Favorite time of year is April-October 

1 hour ago, krfd said:

Hunga Tonga volcano had low sulfur content / high water, kind of the opposite of normal, so instead of cooling we get warming. saw 10-15% increase in stratospheric h2o content. this+nino, going to be very interesting to see how this unfolds for the next several seasons. 

Very intriguing I’ve always been interested in that eruption and potential effects to the climate as a whole

6 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

F'n hornets!  Got stung for the third time this summer... both legs, back, and thumb today.  Nest are hidden all over and for whatever reason really aggressive this year.
Ready for Fall.

Those things are born with hate In their soul.. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

They're nasty.
Also, I believe the number of hornets this year has led to the noticeable decrease in pollenating bees.

Had a decent size hive on under my deck.  We found out by the neighbors dogs that they do not like the color black.  The black dog was getting attached left and right while the other dogs (various colors) were not being bothered much at all.   Seeing this happen to the neighbors dog was how we found it (could not believe how big it was and we didn't see it before).

Used one can about 11 PM which took out 2/3 of the hive.  Waited a week for all to calm down.  Used a second can night and the hive was all gone (got to the queen).  Thank goodness I have mosquito backpacking covering otherwise I am not sure if I would have been stung or not (couldn't see much at 11PM at night). 

Wow.  Today is turning into an complete model failure.:popcorn:  Several days of models showing 1-2" QPF with several rounds of big thunderstorms starting around 2PM.  Currently the results are 0" of rain (I know a few areas to the south have gotten at least a little as AA to DTW seems to always at least get something).  Radar right now has a few isolated shower/t-showers in GRR area.  Hoping for the hail mary ending!! :lol:

3 hours ago, Lightning said:

Wow.  Today is turning into an complete model failure.:popcorn:  Several days of models showing 1-2" QPF with several rounds of big thunderstorms starting around 2PM.  Currently the results are 0" of rain (I know a few areas to the south have gotten at least a little as AA to DTW seems to always at least get something).  Radar right now has a few isolated shower/t-showers in GRR area.  Hoping for the hail mary ending!! :lol:

Where are you?  I’m seeing massive towering clouds all over the eastern sky.  Hard to believe they are actually a long ways away.  Its not quite dark enough to see the lightning yet from here.

29 minutes ago, frostfern said:

Where are you?  I’m seeing massive towering clouds all over the eastern sky.  Hard to believe they are actually a long ways away.  Its not quite dark enough to see the lightning yet from here.

Looks like my hail mary pass worked :lol:.  Funny thing is they keep doing these tornado warnings.  Winds were actually stronger before the storms to be honest. 

The lightning is not really frequent as I have one close strike IMBY. 

Heaviest rains have been 2-10 miles to my north as the first hour we were not getting anything but now I am finally getting rain!!  This is usually the best position for great lightning but like I said it's not been very frequent.

40 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Looks like my hail mary pass worked :lol:.  Funny thing is they keep doing these tornado warnings.  Winds were actually stronger before the storms to be honest. 

The lightning is not really frequent as I have one close strike IMBY. 

Heaviest rains have been 2-10 miles to my north as the first hour we were not getting anything but now I am finally getting rain!!  This is usually the best position for great lightning but like I said it's not been very frequent.

I thought I missed the storms but came here to catch up on some reads. Looked outside and quite the flashes in the sky