• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2023

I'll admit - after a busy morning yesterday I got next to nothing done in the afternoon. Severe weather threat days sort of stress me out. We're usually out of the woods for severe by this time of the year barring something from a tropical system, but the current pattern might lend itself to more opportunities going forward. 

Joy. 

I'll admit - after a busy morning yesterday I got next to nothing done in the afternoon. Severe weather threat days sort of stress me out. We're usually out of the woods for severe by this time of the year barring something from a tropical system, but the current pattern might lend itself to more opportunities going forward. 
Joy. 

Our new climo may extend severe weather longer.

• Like 1

.21" of rain from yesterday's line of storms.  No visible damage anywhere around us but the Amtrak trains early this morning were canceled due to wind damage along the line.

Hey @Itstrainingtime what the heck is up with the Orioles suspending their announcer over exactly nothing!?  I heard the clip and have no idea what they are hearing.  He quite literally just recited their record.  That's it.  Anyway, seems they are being lambasted pretty good over the decision. 

4 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

.21" of rain from yesterday's line of storms.  No visible damage anywhere around us but the Amtrak trains early this morning were canceled due to wind damage along the line.

Hey @Itstrainingtime what the heck is up with the Orioles suspending their announcer over exactly nothing!?  I heard the clip and have no idea what they are hearing.  He quite literally just recited their record.  That's it.  Anyway, seems they are being lambasted pretty good over the decision. 

Just embarrassingly awful, and it comes at a time when the on-field product is worth getting truly excited about. I've watched and re-watched it countless times (I actually was watching it live that night) and I'm genuinely stunned over what has transpired. Kevin Brown literally was celebrating the fact that hey, we're a good enough team to finally win in Tampa and he gets suspended for reading a graphic that quite obviously, someone else put it together and someone else decided to run with it and put it on the screen. 

Like, this is all kinds of shameful embarrassment for the Angelos group. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but even for this group...no one could have seen this coming. 

If this was the NFL, our ownership group would be more prolifically shamed than Daniel Snyder ever was. 

Can't even enjoy and let success go - gotta find a way to still embarrass ourselves.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

You were really unlucky with rainfall yesterday - I tripled your amount, and just south of you there were amounts in excess of what I got. I did much better than you from the overnight Sunday rains...I think you said you only had a couple of hundredths of an inch, while I had nearly a third of an inch. 

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

You were really unlucky with rainfall yesterday - I tripled your amount, and just south of you there were amounts in excess of what I got. I did much better than you from the overnight Sunday rains...I think you said you only had a couple of hundredths of an inch, while I had nearly a third of an inch. 

Yep, you beat me all the way around.  I only had .08 Sunday night.  My weekend total was an underwhelming .29".

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Early 12Z's keep an most of the day rainer for Thurs on the board.  For those still in a deep hole and those that got less than they wanted the least few days.    Rain starts before lunch for the LSV west side.   Once exception for the early 12z's is the Icon which skips the LSV

How much rain potentially is on the table? 

39 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Looks, like 1/4 to 1/2 is on a lot of progs. 

@Itstrainingtime the GFS is less generous at 12Z but such a wide swath of solutions.    MESO's seem to favor south while the GFS maintains a much stronger northern presense with the wave.   CMC is a flush hit, Icon a total miss.  Pretty varied solutions. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

@Itstrainingtime the GFS is less generous at 12Z but such a wide swath of solutions.    MESO's seem to favor south while the GFS maintains a much stronger northern presense with the wave.   CMC is a flush hit, Icon a total miss.  Pretty varied solutions. 

Thank you! I have not looked at any guidance, I've only been seeing a mention for a chance of a thunderstorm on Thursday and what you've been describing seems a bit more in-depth than that. 

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

Thank you! I have not looked at any guidance, I've only been seeing a mention for a chance of a thunderstorm on Thursday and what you've been describing seems a bit more in-depth than that. 

CMC has area wide 1/2-3/4.  Rgem trended a bit south at 12Z but it is more than a thunderstorm as to its radar maps.  GFS does indeed just look like scattered convection.

• Thanks 1

The clouds today have a fall-like appearance to them...
I was out over lunch and started daydreaming (still focused on driving, of course) about fall football Saturdays at Beaver Stadium coming soon.
We haven't had the steam up here that you folks down there have, so I really haven't had a full taste of the summer. Late August is generally when I begin looking forward to fall, but I think I'm there now.

Now watch Indian summer be a scorcher.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

We haven't had the steam up here that you folks down there have, so I really haven't had a full taste of the summer. Late August is generally when I begin looking forward to fall, but I think I'm there now.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. 

51 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

i'm trying to talk my brother in-law into keeping the pool open for a couple weeks into September. So i can float around and watch college football on Saturdays. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

On 8/1/2023 at 11:04 PM, TheClimateChanger said:

Not sure yet where June & July two-month period will fall, but Ryan Maue says July will be 10-12th warmest in the rankings nationally.

Looking at the list, only 1936, 1934, 1901, 1931 & 1980 were the only pre-21st century years with hotter Julys than this year nationally.

July finished up as the 11th warmest nationally, and 27th warmest in the Commonwealth. It was the hottest July on record in Arizona, New Mexico, Florida and Maine. Delaware, California, Texas, Louisiana, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire, also had Top 5 warmest months, while Nevada and Utah just missed that metric (finishing in 6th place). Only 5 states (Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska) experienced temperatures significantly below the median year.

image.png.d45aef03de3f072688b7fd7a8fb90d0d.png

i'm trying to talk my brother in-law into keeping the pool open for a couple weeks into September. So i can float around and watch college football on Saturdays. 
I wouldn't necessarily hate that. I'll compromise and say October 1st, it better start cooling off. There's few things more depressing than staring at the foliage with ball sweat ponding inside your MeUndies.

• Haha 3

Off Topic but this article about the heat in Phoenix is great. It has before and after pictures taken with a regular and thermal camera that show just how hot objects are. It is also full of information that I didn't know. 

About half of our patients who come in in this comatose state are homeless,' said Dr. Frank LoVecchio at Valleywise Health in Phoenix.

Sometimes people pass out on the scalding pavement, suffering severe burns on their bodies.

With day after day of relentless heat and evenings that remained at 90F, there was little chance for people experiencing homelessness to recover and hydrate. 

The heat also worsens conditions like diabetes, lung disease, and heart issues. And some suffer memory loss and cognitive decline.

I have never heard of people passing out and getting burns from the pavement. I wonder how severe they can get. Also never knew that heat makes diabetes worse. These are things to think about when going to hot places and to let friends and family know.

It is so strange to think that overall, I'd say we did better than expected on heat and humidity this year while many others here in US and other places had terrible experiences.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-12381215/WIDER-IMAGE-Heat-camera-captures-scorching-nature-record-Phoenix-heat-wave.html

Off Topic #2 - Fire Season: Where is ours? I wondered that before hitting Submit button so I checked. We have not been lucky at all; we just haven't hit it yet. AccuWeather said in April:

Peak wildfire season is predicted to occur from August into September in Northern California and September to November in Central and Southern California.

It is during these time frames that the ingredients for destructive fires will culminate. Lightning from the North American monsoon can be a natural ignition source for fires, while winds, such as the Santa Ana winds, which were absent for most of the 2022 season, can fan the flames of ongoing blazes and cause them to evolve rapidly into massive wildfires.

The peak of the wildfire season will align with the peak of the Atlantic hurricane season.

We are going to be hearing far more bad weather news than we want to in the next four months and who knows which one one will be worse, the hurricanes spinning up from extremely warm ocean water or the wildfires? We had better not get an Agnes II here!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

HH 18Z are looking good for Thur.  The models that were south are pulling back North and giving the LSV and nicer watering.

image.thumb.png.9df6a42caaad43454d5c9ec111fd7588.png

I’ll take it.   Had 1.76 at Fairfield course, .54 Dover course and .85 at house.    I’ll take another .50

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We need 1/4 go 1/2" every 3 or 4 days for the next 3 weeks to try and recover from the Great Drought of 2023. 

I put 4x4s in the ground today and even with nearly 4” of rain last 7 days the ground was still a dust bowl.   Need more lighter rates that soak in.  

9 minutes ago, Coop_Mason said:

I put 4x4s in the ground today and even with nearly 4” of rain last 7 days the ground was still a dust bowl.   Need more lighter rates that soak in.  

Agreed.   The fast-dropping rains are limited on their real effect.  Unless we get a good run of soaking rains every 2-4 days into the next 2 months, we are going into fall in drought.   I just tried to mow but 2/3 of the lawn was not growing despite rains 2 of the last 5 days.