Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2023 OBS Thread

JTA66

22 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Finished with about .90” for the day, 71F/DP 69F.

On a side note, Lowes has some Halloween decorations out already.

Drove through, and had to stop during, that absolute deluge in Exton this afternoon. Just could not see, driving 5 mph with the washers on "frenetic". There was no way in heck I was getting on the turnpike in that.

Side note, I've noticed many of the beer stores did not completely sell out of pumpkin-themed beers last year and have been trying to sell them on discount ever since. I wonder if the "pumpkin-spice ALL THE THINGS" trend may be drawing down finally, in the beer world at least.

Or maybe they already stocked it this year in late May and I already missed it.

A wide range of rain totals across the County yesterday with as little as 0.12" in Chadds Ford to near 4" in Central and Eastern sections.
We should top out short of 90 degrees today across most of the county but Thursday through Saturday we should see temps in the lower 90's for most. The heat will only pay a brief visit as has been the case this cool summer with temps likely not escaping the 70's by Sunday.
Records for today: High 99 (1940) / Low 48 (1977) / Rain 1.64" (1994)
image.png.246b9067daa4179ea188c23bbfff5748.png

3 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I bottomed out at 65 this morning, my "coolest" low during the entire month of July.  Tat will be a memory come tomorrow and the days after.

It's currently mostly sunny with cumulus here and there, and 87 (don't think I will make 90), with dp 70 so not too bad out.

88F will probably be the high in Philly. They were 88F last hour, now 87F and I don't think they are going back up.

59 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

88F will probably be the high in Philly. They were 88F last hour, now 87F and I don't think they are going back up.

And my high ended up being 89.  I know the heat products have pretty much focused on the Thurs. - Sat. period.

I actually had to go swap out the batts in my WS-2000 a couple hours ago as it had suddenly stopped sending temp/humidity data around 5 pm (after the high for the day).  I had bought this station in the summer of 2020 (as a replacement to a WS-1001 from 2015) and it still had the original lithium batts that I had put in it when I first set it up, so I knew this day was coming! :lol:

Anyway, it's partly sunny and 83 with dp a reasonable 66 and doesn't feel bad out there at all.

10 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

Of note so far June and July 2023 is running as our 12th coldest June/July in 130 years of records for Chester County PA.

The Top 20 coldest are below.

image.png.ade99aabac5491a3238c0ae7e0617790.png

How because July is near +2F for most reporting sites in this region. June was close to -2F.

58 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

And my high ended up being 89.  I know the heat products have pretty much focused on the Thurs. - Sat. period.

I actually had to go swap out the batts in my WS-2000 a couple hours ago as it had suddenly stopped sending temp/humidity data around 5 pm (after the high for the day).  I had bought this station in the summer of 2020 (as a replacement to a WS-1001 from 2015) and it still had the original lithium batts that I had put in it when I first set it up, so I knew this day was coming! :lol:

Anyway, it's partly sunny and 83 with dp a reasonable 66 and doesn't feel bad out there at all.

These will be 90+ but in return we have chances of T-storms tomorrow and Sat. Not a bad deal and the 90s are short lived.

I'm a stickler for replacing batteries (or recharging) before they screw you (and they will) especially the FOB for the car...

79F/DP 66F

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

These will be 90+ but in return we have chances of T-storms tomorrow and Sat. Not a bad deal and the 90s are short lived.

I'm a stickler for replacing batteries (or recharging) before they screw you (and they will) especially the FOB for the car...

79F/DP 66F

Ooh I'm in the same boat. My PWS has been going strong on the original set of batts since late 2020. I really need to get up there and swap them out some time soon.

On topic, I once again find myself working outside in the heat and humidity of summer. Today wasn't too bad, but I'm not especially looking forward to tomorrow and Friday. At least we have a 10 sq ft pop-up canopy to provide shade on the site, but it's not going to be pleasant. Thankfully, no tyvek this time around at least.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

79F/DP 66F

I was expecting some kind of "low battery" indicator but never got anything.  It was still sending data for the anemometer.  And I did have to swap out the batts on the key fob a couple years ago.  At least those lasted about 5 years.

15 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Ooh I'm in the same boat. My PWS has been going strong on the original set of batts since late 2020. I really need to get up there and swap them out some time soon.

On topic, I once again find myself working outside in the heat and humidity of summer. Today wasn't too bad, but I'm not especially looking forward to tomorrow and Friday. At least we have a 10 sq ft pop-up canopy to provide shade on the site, but it's not going to be pleasant. Thankfully, no tyvek this time around at least.

I have been pretty happy with the Energizer lithium batts for that.  Also use those for my temp sensors and even have one in my deep freezer (with lithium batteries).

Have dropped down to 76 now with dp 67.  Will see if it hangs around that temp through dawn in order to start out warmer tomorrow ahead of the blast.

Yesterday was our 10th straight below normal day. That changes today as a very brief potential heat wave impacts the area today through Saturday. The peak heat will be tomorrow PM when most spots in the county should touch the mid 90's. Much cooler weather returns by Sunday with another stretch of below normal temps including most nights reaching the 50's for lows.
Records for today: High 99 (1940) / Low 48 (1946) / Rain 2.23" (1966)
image.png.efe84135c0dd0adb2e1543ebe15dc90e.png

12 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Bottomed out at 73 this morning and have hit my high (so far) with my current 88.  What is different is that the dp has gone into the stratosphere, bopping between 78 & 79 and just stepped outside and :o  I think that rain we had a few days ago juiced it up here.

I didn’t check the obs but was outside around 8am and it wasn’t horrible. Stepped out again around 9:30 and fuhgettaboutit!!

Currently 87/DP 77F

50 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

no t-showers on the radar  within 200 miles of here. Please someone tell me how a 50% chance of t storms with a potential of severe suddenly pops up in the next few hours.  C'mon man. 

Looks like a couple waves moving through PA that storms will be firing on this evening

And they're off...

Severe Thunderstorm Watch

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 555
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
315 PM EDT THU JUL 27 2023

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 555 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1100 PM EDT
FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

PAC001-009-011-017-025-029-041-043-045-055-057-071-075-077-089-
091-095-099-101-107-111-133-280300-
/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0555.230727T1915Z-230728T0300Z/

PA
.    PENNSYLVANIA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ADAMS                BEDFORD             BERKS
BUCKS                CARBON              CHESTER
CUMBERLAND           DAUPHIN             DELAWARE
FRANKLIN             FULTON              LANCASTER
LEBANON              LEHIGH              MONROE
MONTGOMERY           NORTHAMPTON         PERRY
PHILADELPHIA         SCHUYLKILL          SOMERSET
YORK
$$

NJC001-005-007-011-015-019-021-023-025-027-029-033-035-037-041-
280300-

NJ
.    NEW JERSEY COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ATLANTIC             BURLINGTON          CAMDEN
CUMBERLAND           GLOUCESTER          HUNTERDON
MERCER               MIDDLESEX           MONMOUTH
MORRIS               OCEAN               SALEM
SOMERSET             SUSSEX              WARREN
$$

DEC001-003-280300-

DE
.    DELAWARE COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

KENT                 NEW CASTLE
$$

So far I have had a high of 93 today (so far) and it has started clouding up with the temp back down to 88 and dp mixing out a bit and at 77.